2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Berkeley MCB acceptance phone call today (interviewed earlier this week) and UW immuno acceptance a couple of days ago (interviewed last week). Dream programs! So excited! Exclamation points all around!

!!!!!Congrats!!!!! (Exclamation all around :P)

Woke up to an acceptance email from MIT biology! I'm impressed with the quick turnaround - I interviewed this weekend/Monday. 

Still haven't heard a peep from Princeton, though -- it's been more than three weeks since my interview there :/ it's very high on my list, so I'm getting a bit worried! 

On a different note, now that all my interviews are over, I have been seriously enjoying my incredibly easy semester! I took a really light course load and I think it was a really good decision. Hence my sleeping until 11:30 on a Friday :P

Edited by elanorci

First acceptance to Davis! They even called to tell me in person. I'm pretty excited. They are doing a lot of research that fits my interests and all of the POIs that I met were very friendly and helpful. Man, this first acceptance really makes next year feel real now. One way or another I will be starting a PhD program. Freaking rad.

Did you see my earlier post (attached below)? No decisions are going out from Princeton QCB before next week.

For those waiting on decisions from Princeton QCB, the coordinator says they should be sent out "within the next week or so." Apparently, an official meeting with the graduate school must occur before decisions are allowed to be sent out, and QCB's meeting isn't until next week.

Woke up to an acceptance email from MIT biology! I'm impressed with the quick turnaround - I interviewed this weekend/Monday. 

Still haven't heard a peep from Princeton, though -- it's been more than three weeks since my interview there :/ it's very high on my list, so I'm getting a bit worried! 

On a different note, now that all my interviews are over, I have been seriously enjoying my incredibly easy semester! I took a really light course load and I think it was a really good decision. Hence my sleeping until 11:30 on a Friday :P

An accept from Duke! One of my top choice programs. The Duke interview was probably the worst one over Skype. I'm very pleasantly surprised. Especially since my background is in Electrical Engineering.

Hang in there folks. Good luck!

An accept from Duke! One of my top choice programs. The Duke interview was probably the worst one over Skype. I'm very pleasantly surprised. Especially since my background is in Electrical Engineering.

Hang in there folks. Good luck!

Congrats!!

It's always good to have a pleasant surprise especially like that :)

First acceptance to Davis! They even called to tell me in person. I'm pretty excited. They are doing a lot of research that fits my interests and all of the POIs that I met were very friendly and helpful. Man, this first acceptance really makes next year feel real now. One way or another I will be starting a PhD program. Freaking rad.

I'm feeling the exact same thing. Congrats!

Congrats! I also got an acceptance from Davis today. Feels good.

Exactly. I got my first acceptance from UC Davis too.

Congrats!!!

Do any of your programs only have funding for the first 9 months based on a TA-ship? I haven't gotten the official letter from UConn nor have I visited but based on the email, it's a 9 month, 20,000~ stipend. What do I do when I have to sign a year long lease? :wacko:  Anyone in a similar situation?

Did you see my earlier post (attached below)? No decisions are going out from Princeton QCB before next week.

I must have missed this -- thanks so much! I feel a lot better now. :D 

Do any of your programs only have funding for the first 9 months based on a TA-ship? I haven't gotten the official letter from UConn nor have I visited but based on the email, it's a 9 month, 20,000~ stipend. What do I do when I have to sign a year long lease? :wacko:  Anyone in a similar situation?

Hey ERR_Alpha, I'd ask their department about summer funding.  My program is $26.6k for each 12 month period.  I know a lot of programs will tack on an additional 4 or 5 thousand for a summer of work on top of the regular stipend.  I'd be nervous about not getting paid over the summer.  Shoot the program coordinator/financial aid dept. an email, since you're already in its not like the can rescind your acceptance because you asked a question!

Congrats! I also got an acceptance from Davis today. Feels good.

Me too!!!! Congrats to you both!! I hope to see you this Fall:-)

Hey ERR_Alpha, I'd ask their department about summer funding.  My program is $26.6k for each 12 month period.  I know a lot of programs will tack on an additional 4 or 5 thousand for a summer of work on top of the regular stipend.  I'd be nervous about not getting paid over the summer.  Shoot the program coordinator/financial aid dept. an email, since you're already in its not like the can rescind your acceptance because you asked a question!

Thanks! I'm going to visit over my spring break. I visit there on Monday and Penn State wants an answer by that Friday for the extra $2,000... :blink: So unless the financial situation at UConn is feasible, I'll probaby wind up at Penn State.

It is mind boggling that I'll have a decision in three weeks.

Also looking up stats and seeing that programs like UConn and Penn State only accept 15% of applicants??? Jesus. I definitely didn't realize the odds when I started this whole process.

Any of you know about taxes??? I am an international student and was offered an stipend of 2880 USD/month but I heard that it would be substantially reduced after taxes and as I am planning on housing and living expenses I would really like to know how much taxes I have to pay.