2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I received an e-mail saying I was on the short end of the waitlist.

---

I find this encouraging but also extremely odd. Can anyone comment? I think I may need a little luck this week that just one person declines their offer, but i'm not sure what the "short end" of their waitlist means..

Which school is it? And I think "short end" might just be bad phrasing on their part. I think they just mean you're on a short waitlist.

Which school is it? And I think "short end" might just be bad phrasing on their part. I think they just mean you're on a short waitlist.

I agree. I'd take it to mean that you're on the "top" portion of the wait list, or you'll be one of the first people to be accepted off of the list.

I agree. I'd take it to mean that you're on the "top" portion of the wait list, or you'll be one of the first people to be accepted off of the list.

I just responded to the email from the director of the program explaining why it was my first choice. I am hoping they take it into consideration when letting people off the waitlist. I wish they said what number on the waitlist.

I just responded to the email from the director of the program explaining why it was my first choice. I am hoping they take it into consideration when letting people off the waitlist. I wish they said what number on the waitlist.

Get the acceptance from BCM immunology around February 27, will let you know if I choose to go other place.

Good Luck! Don't give up :)

Edited by whuzpc2014

Where else are you deciding between? Yes please let me know if you decide to go somewhere else. This is my absolute top choice.

edit: I see where you got accepted. Just wanted to know where else you are seriously considering, if anywhere.

Edited by Immune123

For all the people waiting on Princeton QCB: I missed a call from them this morning and thought that must be it, but they didn't leave a voicemail, and shortly afterward I got an email from the program coordinator saying that they're processing my reimbursement, so maybe that was what the call was about.... who knows. 

7/8 rejections wow.... Should aim lower next year (sorry its the truth im not trying to be mean)

What are your stats? Good luck!

You should keep your comments to yourself. It's as simple as not clicking "post". Also, your "truth" is not truth. It is your opinion, because you don't know what the competition was for their programs, or if there were any extenuating circumstances. This is a thread to support each other through the process. If you can't do that, then don't post here.

7/8 rejections wow.... Should aim lower next year (sorry its the truth im not trying to be mean)

What are your stats? Good luck!

So many of your posts are just so rude and at least one is legitimately racist. I've always wondered if people who say rude things realize the things they're saying are rude or if they just are 2cool4skool and don't care.

I just got my rejection from both Einstein and Stony Brooks Genetic Department through email.  

When I was reading my Stony Brooks email I was jumping in excitement when I saw this sentence "We are inspired by the talent, diversity and motivation of the next generation of research scientists such as yourself."  But when I read the second paragraph I got this "...we regret that yours has not been selected for an offer of admission."

I guess I'll extremely focus on my research project and think of a contingency plans again along with sipping hot tea day and night.

Thank you! I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia Integrated program before I make my decision. UT Southwestern is definitely one of my top choices considering the number of faculty they have there who work on research topics I am interested in.

I don't even know what to say.  I just got my third rejection today, but this time from University of Nebraska-Lincoln Biological Science Program.  

I think the time changing event cause this curse to happen.

I need some advice so I'm back on this thread. I also want to say congrats to everyone here! Even if you don't get into the schools that you wanted to, I think we should all be pretty proud of ourselves for dealing with the applications process. 

Anyway, what's the etiquette for this following situation. There are two POIs at my top choice who I've talked with and I get along with. Their fields of research are slightly different but both fall along my general research interest. I have interviewed at this school recently but acceptance letters have not been sent out yet. Both of these professors have sent me emails about their interest in me as a potential student of theirs and are requesting to speak with me more. I guess I just don't really know what to do, just speak with both of them and express interest in working with them (but also mention that I'm talking to Prof X) and hope that one of them accept me into their lab? I applied for the overall program, not directly for a specific PI, but I don't want to step on any toes.

Thanks for any opinions. 

I need some advice so I'm back on this thread. I also want to say congrats to everyone here! Even if you don't get into the schools that you wanted to, I think we should all be pretty proud of ourselves for dealing with the applications process. 

Anyway, what's the etiquette for this following situation. There are two POIs at my top choice who I've talked with and I get along with. Their fields of research are slightly different but both fall along my general research interest. I have interviewed at this school recently but acceptance letters have not been sent out yet. Both of these professors have sent me emails about their interest in me as a potential student of theirs and are requesting to speak with me more. I guess I just don't really know what to do, just speak with both of them and express interest in working with them (but also mention that I'm talking to Prof X) and hope that one of them accept me into their lab? I applied for the overall program, not directly for a specific PI, but I don't want to step on any toes.

Thanks for any opinions.

Does the program do rotations? If it does rotations, I'd speak with both of them. If not, that's a little trickier to handle.

Thanks for any opinions. 

I think it's always more awkward for us as applicants than it actually is for the professors. Ultimately, I truly believe (and have been told by POIs) that, in general, professors, schools, etc. all just want what is best for the student. If not, they're probably not someone you'd necessarily want to be working with anyways. Although these things are definitely an awkward situations, as long as you are polite and don't mislead anyone, I am sure your decisions will be respected. Like Vene said though, if rotations are available go for that:)