2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Did you submit your UT Houston GSBS app before the 12/1 deadline? Mine was delayed until the 6th because of an Embark error preventing a recommender from uploading their letter, so I think I got put in the "regular" pile and not the "early". :-/

I submitted on the 1st, so I think I would have been on the "early" pile.

Congrats everyone! You are all doing so well! I checked last year and the earliest I will hear about an invite would be mid to late January for my schools - BME PhD. Guess I will try to relax until then.

Is there any way to find out the interview dates for Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley (Infectious Diseases/Immunity), UC San Diego, and/or Weill Cornell?

Davis has one interview date, and it overlaps with one of the two UW dates.  I'm afraid to lock those in before hearing when the other schools are hosting recruitment weekends, particularly schools like Stanford and UCSF.  They seem like they won't be sending invites until January, though, and these RSVPs are due at the beginning of January...  Any advice?  Is it okay to RSVP yes right now and then later turn them down if another school invites you?

Is there any way to find out the interview dates for Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley (Infectious Diseases/Immunity), UC San Diego, and/or Weill Cornell?

Davis has one interview date, and it overlaps with one of the two UW dates.  I'm afraid to lock those in before hearing when the other schools are hosting recruitment weekends, particularly schools like Stanford and UCSF.  They seem like they won't be sending invites until January, though, and these RSVPs are due at the beginning of January...  Any advice?  Is it okay to RSVP yes right now and then later turn them down if another school invites you?

Last year, we had another thread on top of one like this one where someone posted up like 5 school programs they knew the dates for, and every comment on the thread added the new places they knew in bold and alphabetical order (by school name). You would just unbold everything and add your own in bold. That might help you guys.

The format was:

School name, Program name, Confirmed interview dates.

This way, each school gets listed multiple times if it has multiple programs, but it keeps you from mixing them up. :)

Second interview! UC Denver CSD program!

That's one of my top choices. I still haven't heard anything from them yet. Wondering if I should call or email. I really wanted to go to this school. I have direct experience with stem cells too......

Here's what I know:

UCSF BMS: 1/23-1/25 or 2/6-2/8 (expected to depart the day after)

UCSD Biological Sciences: 2/3-2/4 or 2/10-2/11 (expected to arrive the day before and depart the day after)

Stanford Biosciences: 2/26-3/2

A thread might be helpful, though. I'm scheduling/picking weekends to leave room for ones that might come once the January invites come out, but that's really only possible because I didn't apply to many schools. Several of the schools I've received invites from suggest that spots at particular weekends are first-come, first-serve, so that made me a little nervous about waiting.

Edited by ccarcharias

Been lurking for weeks but I think it's time to get in the action.

Anyone know if PIBS ( Univ. of Michigan) sent out ALL their interview invites last week or just invites for some of their constituent programs? 

Here's what I know:

UCSF BMS: 1/23-1/25 or 2/6-2/8 (expected to depart the day after)

UCSD Biological Sciences: 2/3-2/4 or 2/10-2/11 (expected to arrive the day before and depart the day after)

Stanford Biosciences: 2/26-3/2

A thread might be helpful, though. I'm scheduling/picking weekends to leave room for ones that might come once the January invites come out, but that's really only possible because I didn't apply to many schools. Several of the schools I've received invites from suggest that spots at particular weekends are first-come, first-serve, so that made me a little nervous about waiting.

Awesome, thank you so much!  That is very helpful.  Is it one recruitment event for all of BMS/BioSci, or do they have individual weekends for tracks like immuno, neurosci, etc?  Where did you get these dates from?

Awesome, thank you so much!  That is very helpful.  Is it one recruitment event for all of BMS/BioSci, or do they have individual weekends for tracks like immuno, neurosci, etc?  Where did you get these dates from?

No problem! I was invited to interview at UCSF and UCSD, so that's how I got those dates. Stanford's are available on the "How to apply" portion of its admissions website.

While it's not required, UCSF suggests that people interested in cancer biology, developmental & stem cell biology, neurobiology, genetics, tissue/organ biology and endocrinology, and/or vascular/cardiac biology attend the first weekend, while people interested in immunology and/or microbial pathogenesis & virology are encouraged to attend the second weekend. It doesn't seem as though there's any difference between the UCSD weekends.

Edited by ccarcharias

I am freaking out! How about Harvard SysBio? Do they release the results at once? :(((((

I wonder does anyone hear from Yale's CCB, Michigan's CCMB , UCLA's Bioinformatics, and Berkeley's Computational Biology?

I am not sure, but if more invites are send for SysBio it is probably going to be after the Jan 2.

Edited by Sylvia88

If anyone feels like calling Princeton and asking what's up with interviews there, you would be my hero! But maybe no one is as neurotically nervous as I am >> 

I want to but I'm out all day and don't think I'll have a moment quiet enough. 

Which Princeton program did you apply to? Biology@Princeton or something more specific?

I applied to both QCB and molecular bio via Biology@Princeton (in that order of preference). 

From the results page, it looks like most Princeton QCB invites last year went out in early January, but it appears as though 2 people have been invited to QCB this December.

I applied to Molecular Biology and got a phone invite last Tuesday. So I'm not sure if they've sent out all MolBio invites, but looks like they've started to at least...