2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

^ I asked the program admin for UC Denver and she gave me some #s (~50% of interviewees offered admission). I only asked because she was so nice and responsive to my other emails. If I had to make a difficult decision like virion has to, I would ask program admins for more stats. 

Hey guys,

Newbie over here asking for some advice. UNC BBSP originally contacted me back in December for an interview, and I committed. They booked my plane ticket, hotel reservations and everything for the weekend 1/31, but Baylor emailed me yesterday with an interview offer and no feasible alternative interview dates were possible. My choice is BCM>UNC BBSP. How bad does it look if I pulled out of my UNC interview? If I don't, then I pretty much have a Baylor rejection since I can't attend their alternative interview weekends. 

I don't think it can be that uncommon, especially for some schools. I am going to have the same situation if I get any more responses, and I am still waiting on 6 schools. I committed to visit a school after a Skype interview and a true letter of acceptance, and they booked me a flight and everything to come out. The school has been awesome, I had a phone convo with a PI about his lab, what he thinks of my admission and everything has been great. Made sense esp since I had an offer in my hand. Now I'm getting interview offers from much better schools, and if CalTech or Stanford or someone pretty awesome responds, I'm just not going to be able to take the time to go see that school. So yah, I know it's not a big help but know that you aren't the only one who is having to make that kind of decision.

Best of luck, and remember at the end of the day you have to do what is right for YOU.

I don't think it can be that uncommon, especially for some schools. I am going to have the same situation if I get any more responses, and I am still waiting on 6 schools. I committed to visit a school after a Skype interview and a true letter of acceptance, and they booked me a flight and everything to come out. The school has been awesome, I had a phone convo with a PI about his lab, what he thinks of my admission and everything has been great. Made sense esp since I had an offer in my hand. Now I'm getting interview offers from much better schools, and if CalTech or Stanford or someone pretty awesome responds, I'm just not going to be able to take the time to go see that school. So yah, I know it's not a big help but know that you aren't the only one who is having to make that kind of decision.

Best of luck, and remember at the end of the day you have to do what is right for YOU.

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it. I don't feel so awful now that I know other people are kind of on the same boat. I ended up emailing UNC to apologize profusely for the cancellation. I also offered to pay for my flight rescheduling fee and hotel reservations if they have an alternative interview weekend. I'm waiting to see what they say but completely understand if they're annoyed. Just confirmed with Baylor that I will be there for their target interview weekend and am excited! And good luck with scheduling your interviews raerosk. That's awesome that you have so many. 

Just got an interview invite for UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston. Visit date is February 20-22, conflicts with Denver so I may have to choose between one or the other.

Is your Denver interview for the BSP? They have an alternative date for Jan 30-Feb1 for people who can't make either of their 2 weekends.

For the few plant people on here....Just got my first formal interview offer from MSU Plant Biology! Feb 6-9th. Psyched!

Congrats! I interviewed there last time I applied and it was such a good experience. Everyone is great! And I don't know how it is this year but for mine the post interview acceptance rate was pretty close to 100%.

UNC BBSP Update:

I sent a mail to the Grad Coordinator and got a reply saying the admissions committees are in their last stretch of meetings and all the remaining applicant will get response within next two weeks.

So lets just hope for the best.

I saw a few rejections on the results which said they got rejection via webpage (applyyourself). Where they post the rejection? At least they can send an email.It seems very rude to me.

I looked online and my status says Submitted. Is this the only place they would post it, or is there a status page somewhere?

I applied to the University of Michigan and the University of Virginia for the biomedical science programs and I haven't heard anything yet. Am I most likely rejected?

Do a search on the results page and see if anyone has reported hearing back. I do not remember seeing these though.

Good luck!

Is is safe to assume that all GSK invites went out in december?

And between Duke, UT Houston, BCM, and UPenn, who is still sending out invites?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread very well.

Edited by perfectionist

In terms of optimism, I am basically only waiting on UCLA ACCESS and UCSD BMS now.  Cheers everybody!

Did you get a rejection from WUSTL, or how else do you know that you're rejected?

Did you get a rejection from WUSTL, or how else do you know that you're rejected?

Yes, rejected.  Which program did you apply to there?  If you haven't heard anything yet, I'd probably take that as mildly good news.

who received the reject  from Stanford Biosci and for what track?

I'm thinking that this might be a troll. Last night, someone posted an, ahem, rude result that was something to the effect of: "who reported my earlier post?? [many naughty words]" under the label of Stanford Biosci... So given all the weirdness we've had with those results recently, I'm thinking this might be that person, who is just some kind of troll. :P 

Then again, maybe not. But I find it weird that they'd call to notify rejected applicants. 

In terms of optimism, I am basically only waiting on UCLA ACCESS and UCSD BMS now.  Cheers everybody!

Yeah, does anyone have any idea what's going on with UCSD?  I tried to contact them in December, got an out-of-the-office response, and haven't heard from them since.

Hi all, I have been kind of stalking this forum for a few days and finally decided to join. Sorry! I just got an invite form Stanford and thought I'd let some of you know. As for the UCSD question, I can actually answer it. I have contacts at UCSD and they told me that all invited were sent in December, and only if they get rejections will they send out anymore to fill the vacancies. Sorry!

Hi all, I have been kind of stalking this forum for a few days and finally decided to join. Sorry! I just got an invite form Stanford and thought I'd let some of you know. As for the UCSD question, I can actually answer it. I have contacts at UCSD and they told me that all invited were sent in December, and only if they get rejections will they send out anymore to fill the vacancies. Sorry!

Interesting story KC