2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

FYI for MIT Biology invites.... the response form is due this coming Tuesday, 1/14. So I would imagine that they might still be sending out invites over the weekend, but no later than 1/14.

Good luck everyone!

Here is to hoping that Stanford will send there next wave of genetics people Monday.  Kind of getting worried after seeing all the recent invites, but congrats to the people who have the interview.

Knightrunner, when did you get your WuSTL rejection? I applied to the same program, but no word yet.

I (and I am sure many lurkers) appreciate your calls to Michigan, tcmazer! I am in the same boat as molecularmagic, and was not rejected from Michigan today, while others were - 5 people, in fact, on the results search, which is indicative of a mass rejection by Michigan. Should I be optimistic for a PIBS invite on Monday? Why would they wait until Monday to reject me (other then to fill me with unneeded anxiety over the weekend)? Any knowledge/predictions concerning this enigmatic move by Michigan would be much appreciated. 

Called again - there has been a slight change, the last of the interviews will be sent out by Monday, and everyone who applied should receive an email of some sort by Monday.

I received my interview offer 2 weeks after other people posted getting interviews in this thread so you may still have a chance. I know they were still going through applications when I got my interview offer. The first week was filled up though when I signed up for the interview. They had close to 1000 applications for PIBS this year.

To whoever asked: I got my MIT invite at 3:14 pm. Not sure if they're sending out multiple waves or what. 

Also, I got a Stanford Genetics invite! Received at 6:31 pm central time. 

Congrats to all who got good news today. To those who haven't heard yet, don't freak out! Some of these schools definitely send out multiple waves, and I have worried myself excessively over other interviews when a little patience would have saved my blood pressure. (: 

Congratulations, elanorci! I agree; whatever the schools didn't get to today, they will probably finish up on Monday. Just sucks that they drag it over the weekend....

Undergrad Institution: Michigan State University

Major(s): Genomics and Molecular Genetics

Minor(s):

GPA in Major:

Overall GPA: 3.77

Position in Class: top 10%

Type of Student: white male

GRE Scores (revised):

Q: 155

V:167

W: 4.0

Research Experience: 1.5 years, 2 different labs. Pub in the works.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honor's College

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Military background, got Honor's degree in 3 years

Special Bonus Points: 2 recommenders are from universities I am applying to

Applying to Where: Scope my signature

Hey!! Another gene therapy buff....you're the only other one I've seen.... :D

Thanks for the update tuba250. Anybody have any additional news concerning UNC BBSP invites?

UNC BBSP Update:

I sent a mail to the Grad Coordinator and got a reply saying the admissions committees are in their last stretch of meetings and all the remaining applicant will get response within next two weeks.

So lets just hope for the best.

I saw a few rejections on the results which said they got rejection via webpage (applyyourself). Where they post the rejection? At least they can send an email.It seems very rude to me.

I have a question about interview logistics, and any advice would be much appreciated. MIT will apparently provide accommodations during interviews in either a hotel or a current grad student's place. I live extremely close by, so I could just stay at my own place. I'd prefer to do this, but does anyone think this could be detrimental to my interview prospects? (Maybe they see me less / grad students don't get as much of an impression of me / etc?) 

Thanks for any advice (: 

I have a question about interview logistics, and any advice would be much appreciated. MIT will apparently provide accommodations during interviews in either a hotel or a current grad student's place. I live extremely close by, so I could just stay at my own place. I'd prefer to do this, but does anyone think this could be detrimental to my interview prospects? (Maybe they see me less / grad students don't get as much of an impression of me / etc?) 

Thanks for any advice (: 

I feel like it wouldn't be detrimental. You'd be saving them money and saving a grad student some hassle! Maybe word the email and say something, I have my own place, unless it's strongly recommended that I stay with someone.

For me, staying at a place I was comfortable at would give me an advantage. I have a hard time sleeping in hotels and being around people non-stop exhausts me.

OHSU Interview! Feb 12-15 or 19-22. I really hope I get the first weekend as I really can't make the second due to UC Denver.

Edited by sys88

Jan 3. I got it with a wave of other people that it actually has a 14 post trend.

Yes, I was here for the brutal days :( Just wanted to make sure it was for genetics since we have a lot of neuro/immuno folks.

Thanks for any advice (: 

I'm located close to possible interviews as well and have just decided to go along with their activities in the scheduled way. It may save them some money but it also might be extra hassle in the sense of the coordinator having to remember that you are like the one person that won't be at the hotel when probably everyone else will be. I think when in doubt, just ask. I'm sure they've fielded the question before and will give you the best advice.

Totally off topic, but I was researching on the WuSTL DBBS program and came across this stat for minorities from a few years back:

50 applications, of which 29 interviewed, of which 20 were offered admission. Of those admitted, 55% end up abandoning their PhD studies .

So if you're a minority, you have a 40% chance of being admitted to WuSTL. Not bad.

Totally off topic, but I was researching on the WuSTL DBBS program and came across this stat for minorities from a few years back:

50 applications, of which 29 interviewed, of which 20 were offered admission. Of those admitted, 55% end up abandoning their PhD studies .

So if you're a minority, you have a 40% chance of being admitted to WuSTL. Not bad.

That seems like an abnormally high number of students abandoning their PhD studies, no?

I had previously been told that the average rate of attrition for biological sciences-related PhD programs is around 50%. Since then I've found that it's much lower for the program I ended up attending, so I guess it depends on where you go. 

I see a Berkeley Biophysics result on the results search -- did anyone here get that? I'm wondering if you have any idea about whether or not they're still making interview invites. Congrats to whoever it is (: 

Edited by elanorci