2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I (and I am sure many lurkers) appreciate your calls to Michigan, tcmazer! I am in the same boat as molecularmagic, and was not rejected from Michigan today, while others were - 5 people, in fact, on the results search, which is indicative of a mass rejection by Michigan. Should I be optimistic for a PIBS invite on Monday? Why would they wait until Monday to reject me (other then to fill me with unneeded anxiety over the weekend)? Any knowledge/predictions concerning this enigmatic move by Michigan would be much appreciated. 

Well, I can't tell you much other than you'll know by monday.  But if you didn't get a rejection yesterday, that might be a good sign.  Good luck to you!

Another week of nothing for me. No interviews, no rejections, nothing lol.

You aren't alone on that thought! What do you plan to do if you don't get in? I am already trying to set up contacts to work in a lab in the meantime. I am moving from Florida to New York this summer, so it's like starting over from day one with my life, lol. Then I am going to apply to the New York area programs again next year. Because of my family situation (older, married with a kid) I am limited to just that region (which is unfortunately highly competitive). I'll take another shot at this next year, and then after that I need to go for plan b and move on.

If I don't get in my plan b is to get a job somewhere that will pay for me to get my masters and maybe reapply in a couple of years

I see a Berkeley Biophysics result on the results search -- did anyone here get that? I'm wondering if you have any idea about whether or not they're still making interview invites. Congrats to whoever it is (: 

I did not apply to the program, but I know someone in my lab that got an invite on Thursday (01/09). 

Can anybody who got a Stanford invite say whether their email included an attachment? The email I got says "Included with this invitation are the guidelines you will need to follow in making your travel arrangements," but I don't really see that information anywhere...

Can anybody who got a Stanford invite say whether their email included an attachment? The email I got says "Included with this invitation are the guidelines you will need to follow in making your travel arrangements," but I don't really see that information anywhere...

Mine did, if you can't find it shoot me a PM. 

Yes, I got an attachment.  It looks like it's the interview packet that they'll be sending via snail mail.  If for some weird reason you don't have an attachment, maybe email them back?

Mine didn't have an attachment either--maybe none of the Cancer Biology invites did, assuming that was the program you applied to as well?

OK, that makes more sense. I'll post here if I hear something back from them on Monday.

Hey guys. For those that have been waiting on Yale to send out travel info, I finally got tired of waiting as the date is starting to get close so I emailed the person who sent me the initial email (the director of graduate admission) instead of the person who was setting up the planning to see if I was still being considered for an interview. I had a response from him within 20mins and travel info from the other person by the end of the day. As it is getting late in the season, I would recommend that if you haven't gotten that travel info yet to start reaching out to other people. On a related note, the BBSB program looks friggin awesome, I am so excited to get out there!

Any news about Rice University and UVA? I have not seen much about Rice and wondering whats actually going on with it.

All I've heard about Rice is that they send interview invites in January. The academic term starts Monday, so I would hazard that they'd make some decisions this week.

I had that Stanford dream a while back...I cried in it lol

I had a dream that I got an invite from Stanford too! Except I was really confused because I didn't apply there.... Hahah.

Just an interview chance with Stanford would be a dream come true!

Does anybody have any idea how many people usually get accepted after they interview? 50%? 60%?

I think it depends on the program you are applying to and how competitive it is. I imagine places like UCSF, Stanford etc don't have very high acceptance rates after interviewing.

I think it depends on the program you are applying to and how competitive it is. I imagine places like UCSF, Stanford etc don't have very high acceptance rates after interviewing.

We had a panel at my school of faculty on admission committees from Stanford, Berkeley, and UCSF. Someone asked what the acceptance rates were(after interviews)... I thiiink(though not too sure) Berkeley (MCB) said they have ~80% acceptance, Stanford said ~40%, and I am forgetting what UCSF's numbers were. 

Does anybody have any idea how many people usually get accepted after they interview? 50%? 60%?

I have been told by my PI that if you are invited for an interview (especially a paid interview), the program is HIGHLY interested in you and you have a relatively good chance of admission post-interview. Programs where faculty advocacy is a high admissions determiner hold most true to this, as the faculty member whose lab you are applying to already wants you in their program if they have invited you for a interview/recruitment weekend. I was told Stanford has approximately a 60-70% post-interview acceptance rate, and Berkeley is higher at a 70-80% post-interview acceptance rate. Don't know about UCSF. I think if you show up, bring your enthusiasm, etc., you have a great chance for admission. Neuro thread has this to say: So, no formal data, but there seems to be a lot of consensus about these assumptions

While we're worrying about acceptance rates post interviews, I made this graph to appease your anxiety. We just want to get in somewhere right? Here's what your chances are for getting accepted into one school, assuming a 50% post interview acceptance rate:

k8bUv5v.png

Edited by persimmony

While we're worrying about acceptance rates post interviews, I made this graph to appease your anxiety. We just want to get in somewhere right? Here's what your chances are for getting accepted into one school, assuming a 50% post interview acceptance rate:

k8bUv5v.png

Great post, love me some graphs!

k8bUv5v.png

Hate to be "that guy," but technically that assumes that each school chooses the 50% they accept from the pool of interviewees by completely random chance... hopefully that's not how they make admissions decisions haha