2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I just had mine this past weekend as well. They told us while we were there that they would get together after our interviews and let us know "yes or no" today, which I was actually surprised about the fast turn-around. But also grateful, since I'm sure it would be torture waiting too long! No idea what the normal turn-around time is, though. Good luck in hearing soon, and in hearing good news!

In case anyone is wondering, UTSW has the same turn-around time and will tell you as much if you interview there. It is really nice to hear back so quickly!

one thing I will tell you about ACCESS: Last year, I applied.  The online thingy said "under review" until I gave up checking in March.

Also, I received the email saying my app status was updated on August 8, and the letter attached was dated in March.  So if you don't hear from ACCESS, it may not be good. I'd suggest calling at some point to check.

[i have no idea when they sent out invites last year, btw.]

I applied to UCLA ACCESS under CDB and received interview notification before Christmas. My recruitment status on the ACCESS page is still "Under Review".

I don't know if USC PIBBS is still reviewing applications, but I actually submitted my application 2 weeks after the deadline and my last rec. writer submitted her letter on 12/30, and they offered me an interview last week.

HTH!

Also, glad to hear that UVa is still reviewing apps, though I'm starting to lose hope.

For those of you who got Vanderbilt invites, what were the interview dates listed? I got another interview from a mid-tier, but afraid to accept it as I'm still holding out for most of my schools. :(

Edited by aba1984

For you guys waiting on BU PIBS, we got an email today indicating that 150 interviews have been sent out thus far, which tells me that they've already deviated from last year's pattern (like I said, they're still figuring it out), so it's possible that invites might still come out. All bets are off. :)

Big day today! Got my interview invite from UCSF and a rejection from UTSW after interviewing there last week. I honestly would have felt a little awkward if they had accepted me because I think it was apparent to both sides that the research being done there and my current research interests are pretty poorly matched.

Congrats on UCSF!

So I imagine your UTSW interviews must have been you talking about subject A and them talking about subject C, without any connecting subject B? Didn't you get to choose your interviewers though..?

Is anyone interviewing at Weill Cornell BMCB 2/12-2/14 and UChicago Molecular Biosciences on 2/13-2-15? If so, are you planning on declining one? or try to attend both?

I have the exact same problem but with Brown. I ended up asking Weill Cornell to let me leave after the 13th to arrive at Brown on the 14th for the interviews. Don't know if this was the right thing to do or it will end up backfiring me.

Congrats on UCSF!

So I imagine your UTSW interviews must have been you talking about subject A and them talking about subject C, without any connecting subject B? Didn't you get to choose your interviewers though..?

Thanks!

I am interested in simulating biological systems using physical theory. Most of the work at UTSW is experimental, and the work that is computational is mostly analysis of experimental data. The simulation work that is being done doesn't really seem to be rooted in physical theory. I did say whose research I thought was most in line with my current research interests in my statement of purpose, but UTSW did not ask who I wanted to interview with. The problem really wasn't that I met with the wrong people, though...the people I met with all had research that complements or is similar to the research I want to do in grad school. The problem was that no one at UTSW is quite doing exactly what I want to do in grad school.

Oh jeez major fail on my part. Literally just realized my Stanford app was listed as incomplete. Emailed them asking what exactly I'm missing but I'm expecting a rejection at this point. I guess it's not in the cards for me to stay in California. Anyone else scared of the cold for Midwest/East Coast interviews? lol

Oh jeez major fail on my part. Literally just realized my Stanford app was listed as incomplete. Emailed them asking what exactly I'm missing but I'm expecting a rejection at this point. I guess it's not in the cards for me to stay in California. Anyone else scared of the cold for Midwest/East Coast interviews? lol

Yes, and hearing about this 'polar vortex' certainly isn't making things any easier. Why did I apply to so many east coast schools when I know I hate snow?? Really hoping my two west coast interviews go well...

Yes, and hearing about this 'polar vortex' certainly isn't making things any easier. Why did I apply to so many east coast schools when I know I hate snow?? Really hoping my two west coast interviews go well...

Right?! Time to break out the heavy jackets and stuff and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Re: cardboardboxes

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is listed as "incomplete" too, but I don't think it means anything. Absolutely every field is filled out and they've received all my stuff. Also, back in December, I got an email from an administrator asking me to confirm some minor details, and after I sent them the info they said thanks. I assume they would've emailed me again if they needed more information.

That said, I am curious why the online status still says that, so let me know if you get a response about it.

Edited by ashcanpete

I have the exact same problem but with Brown. I ended up asking Weill Cornell to let me leave after the 13th to arrive at Brown on the 14th for the interviews. Don't know if this was the right thing to do or it will end up backfiring me.

That is also my plan right now

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is listed as "incomplete" too, but I don't think it means anything. Absolutely every field is filled out and they've received all my stuff. Also, back in December, I got an email from an administrator asking me to confirm some minor details, and after I sent them the info they said thanks. I assume they would've emailed me again if they needed more information.

That said, I am curious why the online status still says that, so let me know if you get a response about it.

Hmm interesting. Everything else seems to be listed as complete for me too but they didn't email me to confirm anything after I submitted it. Thanks for this info though! I'll post again when I get a response.

Not sure of the deal with Stanford. But for anyone that wants to know, I got my email invitation on Friday and also received my snail mail packet today even though it is just the same info that was already attached to my email (this was for immuno). Although I guess some people didn't get an attachment for some reason? I'm surprised the snail mail packet came so quickly.

To those of you waiting to hear from Scripps, I just got an interview invite a couple hours ago.

eep! Has anyone else heard back?

And btw, is anyone having trouble getting the logistics scheduled with Baylor?

Hmm interesting. Everything else seems to be listed as complete for me too but they didn't email me to confirm anything after I submitted it. Thanks for this info though! I'll post again when I get a response.

The email from the administrator was just to fix a mistyped SS number (apparently I was already in the system from my undergrad app). Did you get the auto-generated email right after you submitted it? It should say:

"Thank you for your interest in the Stanford Biosciences Ph.D. Programs. This email is to acknowledge that your application has been successfully submitted."