2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I took the subject test because I'm coming from a tiny liberal arts program with no cachet in the sciences, to try and validate my training. If I was coming from a strong program with a good reputation I would have definitely just skipped the hassle and not insignificant expense. I think it might become more important in future if the numbers of applicants rise and programs need an additional criterion to cut the chaff, but not more useful than that.

I agree that it would have helped you. Whether you should take it or not mostly depends on the quality of your coursework.

all you people have options...this turned out to be ridiculous for me :/ hanging onto one interview (Albeit a great one)

Just curious, did you ever post your stats on here? What do you think went wrong? (not that you still won't get more invitations!) 

For those of you who got Vanderbilt invites, what were the interview dates listed? I got another interview from a mid-tier, but afraid to accept it as I'm still holding out for most of my schools. :(

2/14 and 2/28.

Hello all! Long time lurker here!

I noticed that there seem to be a couple of you who were invited to interview at GSK, and I was wondering if any of you might be doing your interviews this week. If you got here a bit early like myself, would you like to grab lunch tomorrow (the 14th) afternoon before the whole insanity that is the grad school interview begins? Maybe go shopping for warm clothes if you find that you came here grossly unprepared for the weather ahaha

I figure we're all staying at the same hotel so it shouldn't be too hard to meet up! This is a shot in the dark considering I just thought of doing this and it is so late, but I thought it might be nice to finally put a face to a username =)

Hope to hear back from some of you!

I'll be at GSK tomorrow! Won't be able to do lunch unfortunately; I'll be at work giving anti-anxiety drugs to mice (which is... ironic, to say the least). Excited to be kicking off my interview season, though - good luck to you and everyone!

what? if you are at UCLA then just go ask lol!!!!

Not everyone is easy to approach, thought I'd ask in a friendlier environment before putting myself in that position. 

CDB (just changed the department name from MCDB to CDB) department already started sending the interview if you checked it on results section. They are still reviewing.

I noticed that, everyone still says MCDB. I just go with the flow. Good to know that there is still some hope left. 

I'm also an ACCESS applicant.  I picked Immunity & Microbes as my home area.  Haven't seen anything on the results page from that home area at all which makes me think they're still reviewing.  I remember reading each home area reviews the apps separately.

My PI is MIMG (immunity and microbes) I'll ask him or someone in the lab tomorrow to see if they've begun reviewing applications. 

one thing I will tell you about ACCESS: Last year, I applied.  The online thingy said "under review" until I gave up checking in March.

Also, I received the email saying my app status was updated on August 8, and the letter attached was dated in March.  So if you don't hear from ACCESS, it may not be good. I'd suggest calling at some point to check.

[i have no idea when they sent out invites last year, btw.]

That's just mean.......

I applied to UCLA ACCESS under CDB and received interview notification before Christmas. My recruitment status on the ACCESS page is still "Under Review".

I don't know if USC PIBBS is still reviewing applications, but I actually submitted my application 2 weeks after the deadline and my last rec. writer submitted her letter on 12/30, and they offered me an interview last week.

HTH!

Also, glad to hear that UVa is still reviewing apps, though I'm starting to lose hope.

Major props on the USC interview! That's freaking awesome! Clutch move... 

For those of you who got Vanderbilt invites, what were the interview dates listed? I got another interview from a mid-tier, but afraid to accept it as I'm still holding out for most of my schools. :(

I was given the option of 1/10, 1/24 or 1/31

Congrats!! I tried to upvote you but I'm out of them for the day (wtf!)

Thanks a lot!! :D I run into that problem all the time -- why do we have so few upvotes?? :(

And congrats to you on your recent wonderful news!!! :D

I've now heard from all of my schools that have interviews... Next up is a straight-up accept or reject from my (at the moment) top choice (aaaaaaah) that won't come for a few weeks. A different kind of waiting...!

Edited by elanorci

2/14 and 2/28.

Vanderbilt doesn't do March interviews anymore? :(

I'm going to UMiami on 2/14 and the interview invite I got today happens to be for 2/27...I guess there is no correct way to go about this - accept the 2/27 interview at a #90-100ish ranked school just in case or keep the slot open in case Vanderbilt invites me? UGH!

Anyone else nervous to be hearing from Rockefeller tomorrow?

Yeah, but I'm glad they told us a specific date they'd send out the invites. It takes a lot of the stress out of the long wait for decisions, I wish more schools did it that way.

I'm going to UMiami on 2/14 and the interview invite I got today happens to be for 2/27...I guess there is no correct way to go about this - accept the 2/27 interview at a #90-100ish ranked school just in case or keep the slot open in case Vanderbilt invites me? UGH!

Perhaps wait a week. They emphasized their rolling admissions process in the e-mail and encouraged to respond as soon as possible - presumably to offer other interviews.

I'd say if you're pretty confident about Vanderbilt, wait on it. Otherwise, just book the other interview, and if you do get invited to Vanderbilt, you can always cancel at the other school. Probably not the best form to cancel on an interview, but they have to expect this will happen sometimes, and you could volunteer to cover any flights they've booked for you.

I'd say if you're pretty confident about Vanderbilt, wait on it. Otherwise, just book the other interview, and if you do get invited to Vanderbilt, you can always cancel at the other school. Probably not the best form to cancel on an interview, but they have to expect this will happen sometimes, and you could volunteer to cover any flights they've booked for you.

Yeah, you just never know what's going on behind closed doors. Vanderbilt and WuSTL have been very odd for me - not a single peep. Sometimes a rejection is better because at least you know what's going on. My problem is that I can maybe do one or maybe barely two more interviews tops because of my classes next semester. I will wait till Friday and just accept the interview at the other school and then call it quits at 4 interviews before my grades start suffering. 

Edited by aba1984

Yeah, you just never know what's going on behind closed doors. Vanderbilt and WuSTL have been very odd for me - not a single peep. Sometimes a rejection is better because at least you know what's going on. My problem is that I can maybe do one or maybe barely two more interviews tops because of my classes next semester. I will wait till Friday and just accept the interview at the other school and then call it quits at 4 interviews before my grades start suffering.

Lol I know what you mean. Universities should offer credit for "Grad School Apps 101". I feel like I've read enough papers investigating the PIs at various schools to warrant some credit hours!

Hi guys :) I'm a long time lurker but decided to finally join you guys since the waiting process was too nerve-breaking!

Has anyone heard from stanford biochemistry? I've seen a lot of posts about other bioscience departments but none from biochem so far..

It seems that it is a No (assumed) from Columbia- Integrated Program in Cellular, Molecular and Biomedical Studies :(

Has anyone heard back from this program? The posts in the results section seem to all be skype interviews with international candidates.

Just FYI I got a Berkeley Biophysics invite via e-mail just now (yes, at ~8 pm there).

One school sent me an acceptance e-mail at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Add "illogical office hours" to the list of "reasons admissions departments don't make sense."

For anyone still waiting to hear back from WUSTL DBBS - Developmental Biology. I emailed the coordinator a few days ago and received an email today.

The Committee is still reviewing some applications and your application is in this group.  I anticipate that the committee will finish the review within two more weeks.  I will let you know the outcome as soon as possible.

So, I guess there is hope for some of us?