2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

In regards to not hearing back, I do think that some programs are just taking their sweet time while we think we are already rejected. Today was my first day in class this semester and I went to talk to my professor who happens to be the director of the program just to explain that I have interviews and have to miss a few classes. She seemed shocked that I had already gotten four interviews. And then she said, since I applied at my current school too, "Yeah, I know you applied, I saw your name in the piles, I just didn't look at it." Meanwhile, somewhere else in the universe some poor applicant is already assuming they got rejections when these professors are doing the busy work that we know they have to take care of. My PI is the director of MS admissions and I see applications on his office floor all the time. So, instead of assuming rejection, just assume that your application is on someone's carpeted floor right now. Haha!

Edited by aba1984

Mine was sent at 4:56PM (I'm on the east coast), and with the same text as spaceimmunology's. I don't think it was a mass email, though I could be wrong about that?

I got mine at 4:56 pm (east coast as well). My guess is mass email.

They did however use my nickname which would only been in my LORs. Pretty nice touch.

Mine was sent at 4:56PM (I'm on the east coast), and with the same text as spaceimmunology's. I don't think it was a mass email, though I could be wrong about that?

I got mine at 4:56 pm (east coast as well). My guess is mass email.

They did however use my nickname which would only been in my LORs. Pretty nice touch.

Thanks for the info, looks like I can cross Rockefeller off my list. I'm sure they looked at each email, just probably sent them all in one big group.

aba1984, thanks for the encouragement, but I think in this case it's more certain, Rockefeller already announced they would send out all the invites tonight.

UCSF iPQB rejection today. Rejections kind of feel like ripping a bandaid off. Nothing further to worry about. And makes me feel like I did the right thing by applying to a lot of programs, assuming this season works out and all.

Congrats, guys!!! I did not get one but it was fully expected  since I did not get any invite from the top 15 programs. You guys worked hard for it so definitely you all deserve the best! Good luck with interviews :)

Well, seems like I got nothing but silence from Rockefeller and probably won't be hearing anything more from any other programs. Super happy with my 4 interviews, they are all great places! Now I only have to prepare and enjoy the following month of traveling :D

Oh jeez major fail on my part. Literally just realized my Stanford app was listed as incomplete. Emailed them asking what exactly I'm missing but I'm expecting a rejection at this point. I guess it's not in the cards for me to stay in California. Anyone else scared of the cold for Midwest/East Coast interviews? lol

Got an email response back from the main biosciences department. They didn't mention what I'm missing or anything and said, "The programs are still selecting applicants for interviews and they hope to have it completed by late next week. "

So there's that... although I'm not sure how relevant that sentence is since it seems automated and don't know when it was written

Got an email response back from the main biosciences department. They didn't mention what I'm missing or anything and said, "The programs are still selecting applicants for interviews and they hope to have it completed by late next week. "

So there's that... although I'm not sure how relevant that sentence is since it seems automated and don't know when it was written

Got the same answer

Emory IMP is still reviewing applications for anyone who applied there.

I applied to MMG, but if IMP is still reviewing, I'm hopeful. Thanks!

How did you find out?

So....I start my first interview tomorrow and though I am nervous, too, I also feel really excited and hope it will be a good experience. I'm just so happy to see everyone else getting interviews, too, and I wish you all the best in your respective endeavors. I can tell there are some really great, bright people in here and I am glad to share the experience with all of you, albeit digitally and anonymously! Even if things don't work out as we hope, please enjoy as much of the ride as you can :) It only lasts a little while, then it's gone.

So....I start my first interview tomorrow and though I am nervous, too, I also feel really excited and hope it will be a good experience. I'm just so happy to see everyone else getting interviews, too, and I wish you all the best in your respective endeavors. I can tell there are some really great, bright people in here and I am glad to share the experience with all of you, albeit digitally and anonymously! Even if things don't work out as we hope, please enjoy as much of the ride as you can :) It only lasts a little while, then it's gone.

Good Luck to your interview Adenine_Monarch.  Nowadays, I find myself up all night thinking about where I probably gone wrong with my applications.  I'm happy that most people in here got interviews, but I am surprise I don't have any myself.  I feel like I'm in the doom and gloom right now.  I don't know how to explain this to people around me or even my program director.  Well I got some hope since UCSD just emailed me 4:45 Pacific time to fill out possible eligible fellowships.  Sounds like my only hope is winning some type of fellowship or winning the NSF-GRFP to convince the boards.

Edited by knightrunner

Just got news of my UCSF rejection (first one woo party at my place), but the false hope for Stanford is still alive!

Has anyone heard from UW BPSD or CalTech BMB? Those are the only two programs I don't think I've seen any chatter about

Just got news of my UCSF rejection (first one woo party at my place), but the false hope for Stanford is still alive!

Has anyone heard from UW BPSD or CalTech BMB? Those are the only two programs I don't think I've seen any chatter about

all stanford biophysics invites are out dear. :(

Just got an invite for UC Berkeley Integrative Biology Jan 31-Feb 1!! So excited!

Congrats! I just got mine too!

Congratulations! Was this the official invitation you both received, or are you the two people who posted in Results saying you got an email from POI and official email will come later?

all stanford biophysics invites are out dear. :(

How did you find this out? Last thing I saw about Stanford Biophysics was this post yesterday:

just saw this "

Stanford Biosciences, PhD (F14) Interview via Phone on 13 Jan 2014 ♦ A 13 Jan 2014
  • Just so everyone knows I got a call from someone in the Biophysics department just now so Stanford is still sending out invitation (for some programs at least)!"

Congratulations! Was this the official invitation you both received, or are you the two people who posted in Results saying you got an email from POI and official email will come later?

I posted in Results about the POI email, but I ended up getting the official email just a few hours ago. I wouldn't worry too much yet- the invitation definitely wasn't a mass email. Good luck!

I posted in Resul. about the POI email, but I ended up getting the official email just a few hours ago. I wouldn't worry too much yet- the invitation definitely wasn't a mass email. Good luck!

Thanks! I can't help thinking I'm out of the running, though...time will tell. :) Good luck with the interview! I'm sure it will be fun. I spent a day in my POI's lab a couple of months ago. It's a great department and great school. The POI seemed enthusiastic but he was doubtful about having funding for me, which is why I'm poised to accept that I'm probably not on the interview list. ;)

Keep your head up- It looks like myself and iheartplants are the only two who have heard anything yet. I wouldn't stress until next week!

Thanks! You guys are awesome. And anyway, I can't complain, no matter what happens next, since I'm super excited about the one interview I have so far. Edited by sunpenguin