2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

When I was interviewing last year, that's what I did. Just a quick thanks, and that enjoyed talking with them. Usually I tried to mention a little something from the conversation, so it seemed a little more personalized.

This sounds right on. Plus a physical object might be considered tampering. Make sure to send gifts/cards to your letter recommenders in April though!

Have you received an itinerary and the list of faculty who you will be interviewing with? I haven't yet and I'm starting to get worried.

I think the coordinator said she would get them to us by Friday of this week.

Does anyone have insight into policies on interview invites to two programs from the same school? I have an invite for Wisconsin Cancer Bio and am waiting to hear from CMB and just wondering if it would be unusual to be invited to interviews for both departments. 

Yay Cancer Bio!  As for getting invites from two different departments, I don't think it would be that unusual.  They are very separate entities and there probably isn't too much crosstalk between them.  Case in point, I applied to two programs at the same school last year and got interview invites for both. 

Edited by rat.girl

For those still waiting on UW MCB - someone posted in the search:

"still hadn't heard anything from them, so I called - was told everyone has already been contacted for interviews"

Bummerrrrrr:(

Yay Cancer Bio!  As for getting invites from two different departments, I don't think it would be that unusual.  They are very separate entities and there probably isn't too much crosstalk between them.  Case in point, I applied to two programs at the same school last year and got interview invites for both. 

Okay awesome, thanks! I won't give up hope quite yet then  :)

I'm not sure if I'm happy I have some hope remaining for Princeton as it'll probably just get squashed again... leaving it red for now haha.

Also I go away for a day and there's drama! Tensions are high. Hope everyone is relaxing some.  :P

Rejected from Rockefeller.  It was kind of funny though - a lot of us at the GSK interview today were also rejected and laughed about it.  It was really nice to be all together for it, and even congratulate the few that did get interviews.

For those of you who got MIT interview, did MIT contact you guys to confirm the interview dates?

MIT confirmed date for me on Wednesday evening 6 PM. I think I submitted on Monday.

Hey everyone, quick question about interviews...

Are you guys sending thank you notes to your interviewers, or do you think an email saying thanks will do? Since the interviews aren't that long and are pretty informal, I would imagine that an email would be fine.

Planning on sending short emails. Cards seem excessive.

So I have this complication with interviewing scheduling that I hope you guys can help me with!

So I got an invitation from Brown last Monday and their primary interview weekends completely overlaps with my Penn interview weekend. Then, I asked for an alternative weekend, which turned out to be partially overlapping with my Weill Cornell one. My Weill Cornell runs from Wednesday to Friday and Brown runs from Thursday to Saturday. After thinking for a while, I decided to ask Weill Cornell to skip the Friday and travel to Brown in time for the interviews. Do you think this is a good plan? Or it is gonna end up backfiring on me?

Or should I now email Weill Cornell asking for an alternative date? This is something I assume that is going to be bad as it will give an impression that Weill Cornell is not high on my list even though it really is.

In the end, did I do the right thing? Or if not, what should I do now? 

Thanks guys!

So I have this complication with interviewing scheduling that I hope you guys can help me with!

So I got an invitation from Brown last Monday and their primary interview weekends completely overlaps with my Penn interview weekend. Then, I asked for an alternative weekend, which turned out to be partially overlapping with my Weill Cornell one. My Weill Cornell runs from Wednesday to Friday and Brown runs from Thursday to Saturday. After thinking for a while, I decided to ask Weill Cornell to skip the Friday and travel to Brown in time for the interviews. Do you think this is a good plan? Or it is gonna end up backfiring on me?

Or should I now email Weill Cornell asking for an alternative date? This is something I assume that is going to be bad as it will give an impression that Weill Cornell is not high on my list even though it really is.

In the end, did I do the right thing? Or if not, what should I do now? 

Thanks guys!

It's fine.  I'm interviewing at Columbia IMP on Friday (Feb 14) and Weill said that all faculty interviews will be on Thursday so it would be ok.  Just let them know.

Edited by byt2104

I just got an email from Northwestern saying that you can check you status in your application if you do not hear from them before March.  I'm not sure what to make of this.

Well the status site does say that interviews are finalized by February 15th, so there's that.

Well last year when I applied to DGP, I got a similar letter, followed by a rejection from Steven Anderson on Jan 19, 2013. But keep your hopes up! Hopefully your case might as well be different one.

Looking at a lot of interview invites, If I didnot get weill Cornell - BCMB (allied program - mentioned developmental biology) or NYU-Sackler Developmental genetics invite so far, does it mean its almost a rejection?

Well last year when I applied to DGP, I got a similar letter, followed by a rejection from Steven Anderson on Jan 19, 2013. But keep your hopes up! Hopefully your case might as well be different one.

That will hurt my gut if that happens.  

I'm starting to lose hope as the days go by without any interviews, and it doesn't help when I also have friends, co-workers, and family asking frequently.  Don't get me wrong I probably wouldn't know for sure until after this month pass, but the anticipation and wait is killing me, especially since I'm action oriented.  Currently, I'm just burned out.  

Does anybody know what to do or have any backup plans?  I'll try to focus on my research again, probably look up potential scholarships (in hopes to turn the tide), look for abroad opportunities, and so on.  

That will hurt my gut if that happens.  

I'm starting to lose hope as the days go by without any interviews, and it doesn't help when I also have friends, co-workers, and family asking frequently.  Don't get me wrong I probably wouldn't know for sure until after this month pass, but the anticipation and wait is killing me, especially since I'm action oriented.  Currently, I'm just burned out.  

Does anybody know what to do or have any backup plans?  I'll try to focus on my research again, probably look up potential scholarships (in hopes to turn the tide), look for abroad opportunities, and so on

in the same boat as you...I emailed the DGP office a few days ago and got a reply within a day from steven anderson stating that invitations are continuing but very few spots are remaining for actual consideration (so they're just slow at getting some out) and that "your review by the Admissions Committee did not place you in the group that is still being considered."  lol truly an fml moment..ah well. Not an official rejection but rather an application status check lol 

If anybody here is planning on going to Madison CMB on 20-22 but is available on 6-9 do you think you could switch?  I already have flights and everything with ucsd for 6-9, and they say that 20-22 is at maximum capacity. These are two of my top schools and would hate to have to sacrifice one. Otherwise, do you have any ideas on how I could deal with this?

For those wondering about University of Washington Micro, I spoke to one of their advisers yesterday. She wasn't absolutely certain, but she said all of the interview invites have probably gone out.

Just give me the rejection already UW!!!!