2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Anyone else heard from Davis? I was hopeful but now not so much :-/

I heard from Davis Immunology at the end of December. I have several friends who also haven't heard back yet, so maybe there's still hope! The interview weekend for Immuno isn't until the end of Feb.

I've been lurking since the beginning so I might as well post my stats now that I'm finally hearing back...

Undergrad Institution: Mid size Western state schoolMajor(s): Biotechnology - microbiology emphasisMinor(s): BiochemistryOverall GPA: 3.92Type of Student: MaleGRE Scores (revised/old version):Q: 159

V: 161W: 5.5Research Experience: One semester in a molecular virology lab, two years in a fungal biology/biochemistry lab. One middle author pub, one first author pub in the works, honors thesis. Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduating with a separate baccalaureate degree from my University's Honors CollegeSpecial Bonus Points: My PI for the last two years is fairly famous and I have no doubt he wrote me a very strong LOR. Another LOR is coming from a department head.

Are you going to the feb 6-8 interview for Dartmouth?

Edited by ERR_Alpha

I just got a Stanford Biosciences (MCP) interview! It looks like each department has a different timeline so there's still hope!

Congrats! I applied to MCP too so I must keep hope alive! Did the email seem like a mass email or a personal one from a PI?

For those who applied to UW immunology--just curious, did you guys follow the weird prompt on the application (personal statement instead of SOP, with the emphasis not really on research). I hemmed and hawed and ending up submitting a garbled piece of crap. SOOOO surprised I actually got an interview.

Mine was very personal.  Explained how my interest in immunology and research (in general) developed, then talked about long term goals of my research experience and how it influenced my growth as a scientist, then built that into what I wanted to study and do after PhD and how UW was best fit for it (faculty, facilities)... not just science though I talked about the teaching programs UW offered...then I made it more personal by explaining why I want to live in Seattle. 

Anyone else heard from Davis? I was hopeful but now not so much :-/

The date to confirm that I want to go to the Microbiology recruitment weekend isn't until Jan 23rd and the email made it sound like they would still be sending out invites if space opens up. You might still have a chance!

Depends on the university. Nine of the places I applied to haven't started sending out interview invitations yet, and in past years they didn't start sending them until late January. So I have one interview, two official rejections, three assumed rejections, and nine options still completely open (some of which I've already talked to and done individual or informal interviews with). Depending on where you applied, things may be far from over.

I really don't understand how this works. When do they expect to offer those interviews if they meet in late January? Mid-March or something? :o

I really don't understand how this works. When do they expect to offer those interviews if they meet in late January? Mid-March or something? :o

Yeah, its like that for BME. I got an early invite from MIT, but the rest of mine send interview invites mid Jan through mid Feb for March interviews. The waiting is rough.

Bummer. I sent my app in Nov... so is that a no? lol

I havent very many einstein results posted. I think they are just taking their time evaluating applicants. So, I think we may hear from them this week, next week, next month.. who knows!

I just called Northwestern Graduate Department in Life Sciences. She said they are still reviewing applications and they have absolutely not already sent out all their interview invites. She seemed shocked I would even think they had.

The date to confirm that I want to go to the Microbiology recruitment weekend isn't until Jan 23rd and the email made it sound like they would still be sending out invites if space opens up. You might still have a chance!

Thanks for the info and positive thoughts but I might have to consider this my first rejection. I just wish they would send out rejections early rather than make us wait for the inevitable.

I havent very many einstein results posted. I think they are just taking their time evaluating applicants. So, I think we may hear from them this week, next week, next month.. who knows!

I believe you are right, because when I applied to one of there summer programs they gave my rejection email towards the end of July.

I just called Northwestern Graduate Department in Life Sciences. She said they are still reviewing applications and they have absolutely not already sent out all their interview invites. She seemed shocked I would even think they had.

Awesome.  Northwestern is one of my hopes :)

Update:  So I called UC Davis and it seems like for the Integrative Genetics & Genomics are meeting around early Feb.  I was told if I wasn't given an invite then it isn't looking good, but there could be a small chance for a 2nd round.  

Just so I can live vicariously through you guys, what did the email say? lol (I applied, but fully expect to be rejected)

Dear spaceimmunology,

Based on your outstanding record, I’m extremely pleased to invite you to interview for a position in the David Rockefeller Graduate Program at The Rockefeller University.  

We will have two Open House visits in 2014 for all interviewing students, February 27-28 and March 6-7.  We will reimburse up to $500 of your travel expenses and will provide housing accommodations during your stay.  You will get a chance to talk with faculty and students about research, education, and life at Rockefeller, and to experience some of the special attributes of New York City.  You will be receiving a FedEx package with information about the University and the Open Houses in the next few days.

Please click here to complete a questionnaire as soon as possible regarding the organization of your visit to Rockefeller.  If you would like to communicate with the Dean’s Office about your visit, please write or call Kristen Cullen, Graduate Admissions Administrator and Registrar,cullenk@mail.rockefeller.edu212-327-8088

It is clear from your record that you have great potential for a career in science.  We look forward to meeting you in the coming months and introducing you to the special qualities of our graduate program.  Please contact me by telephone or e-mail if you would like any additional information.

All best wishes,

Sidney Strickland

Professor

Just got a Rockefeller invite! So, everyone else should be on the look-out. :D

Congrats! Got mine as well. Can't wait.

Congrats guys! I didn't get anything, guess they didn't send out the rejections at the same time.

Was it a mass email, did both of your invites have the same timestamp?

Congrats guys! I didn't get anything, guess they didn't send out the rejections at the same time.

Was it a mass email, did both of your invites have the same timestamp?

Mine was sent at 4:56PM (I'm on the east coast), and with the same text as spaceimmunology's. I don't think it was a mass email, though I could be wrong about that?

Edited by ccarcharias