2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

No news is probably bad news at this time..

Depends on the university. Nine of the places I applied to haven't started sending out interview invitations yet, and in past years they didn't start sending them until late January. So I have one interview, two official rejections, three assumed rejections, and nine options still completely open (some of which I've already talked to and done individual or informal interviews with). Depending on where you applied, things may be far from over.

Has anyone heard back from this program? The posts in the results section seem to all be skype interviews with international candidates.

I received an email invite from them on 12/20, and I'm attending their first interview weekend this week, from Thursday (1/16) to Sunday (1/19).

In the email, they didn't mention anything about an alternate weekend, but I assume they have more than one.

just curious has anyone has any contact at all with Stanford Biosci office for Micro and Immuno, specifically Wanapa Veeraprasit? I've  tried multiple days to contact them but no one has picked up unlike the other home programs

Nvm, contacted by M+I saying all invites were sent already "

The admissions process is a subjective process and several factors (course work, GRE scores, Letters of Recommendations and Personal Statement) are taken into consideration.  Since the Admissions Committee and the applicant pools changes each year, the committee may weigh each of the criteria differently.

Thank you for your interest in Stanford and wish you the very best of luck with your future studies and career."

sigh

Edited by DirtyLabCoat

That's rough, dirtylabcoat :/ I'm sorry. But don't get too down! You haven't heard from everywhere yet, right? And you have an awesome interview locked down! (: 

well tech. i haven't heard from Harvard or columbia but those are well past when everyone got notifications....

Got an invite from Cornell Plant Biology.

It will be Skype interview and the date would be around Feb 4~6th 

Excited and nervous at the same time.

I should never mess up with this chance. 

well tech. i haven't heard from Harvard or columbia but those are well past when everyone got notifications....

I don't know if this is what you applied for, but I received a Columbia invite a few days ago for Microbiology & Immunology... so maybe they're still going out?

good luck!

Got an invite from Cornell Plant Biology.

It will be Skype interview and the date would be around Feb 4~6th 

Excited and nervous at the same time.

I should never mess up with this chance. 

Nice! I have an adviser who went to Cornell Plants and says really good things. Congrats!

UC Davis Microbiology program invitation! February 21 and 22. I had been wondering about this one because I feel like I've seen someone on this forum who has had an invite to this Davis program in their sig for a while. I actually visited the campus this summer and met some grad students and really liked the atmosphere there.

UC Davis Microbiology program invitation! February 21 and 22. I had been wondering about this one because I feel like I've seen someone on this forum who has had an invite to this Davis program in their sig for a while. I actually visited the campus this summer and met some grad students and really liked the atmosphere there.

Might be me.  I had to turn it down bc of a conflict with UW.  Pretty bummed about it, espec bc Davis is driving distance from me -___-

Might be me.  I had to turn it down bc of a conflict with UW.  Pretty bummed about it, espec bc Davis is driving distance from me -___-

It was you! I'm still holding onto some faint hope that I will get a UW invite, so I'm not going to confirm Davis yet. And I wish I was within driving distance because they are only giving a $250 travel voucher and I know it will cost more for me to get out of Washington. It always does.

Edited by lasercats11

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to join the group since I spend so much time on here already! Here are some abbreviated stats:

undergrad: large state

undergrad major: biology, 3.3 GPA

masters: mid-size state

masters major: molecular, 3.5 GPA (bombed a class due to family health problem)

teaching: undergrad and grad

work: 3+ years public health scientist, 4+ years in med/vet/clin/lab and quality/management

pubs: none

research: limited

regulatory: lots

GRE (revised): V 160/84% / Q 153/53% / W 4.0/54%

Applied to:

CO State MIP

UC Davis Micro

U Montana DBS/Micro

Yale Epi of Micro DX

Edited by SailsToTheMoon

For those who applied to UW immunology--just curious, did you guys follow the weird prompt on the application (personal statement instead of SOP, with the emphasis not really on research). I hemmed and hawed and ending up submitting a garbled piece of crap. SOOOO surprised I actually got an interview.

Ok, does anyone know what is going on with Albert Einstein Yeshiva?

I called yesterday. All they said was the admission is on rolling basis and thank you for your patience. 

For those who applied to UW immunology--just curious, did you guys follow the weird prompt on the application (personal statement instead of SOP, with the emphasis not really on research). I hemmed and hawed and ending up submitting a garbled piece of crap. SOOOO surprised I actually got an interview.

Mine was mine entire research history coupled with why the school and specific faculty fit with my interests and experience, and a tiny bit about who I was (first gen college etc.)

I've been lurking since the beginning so I might as well post my stats now that I'm finally hearing back...

Undergrad Institution: Mid size Western state school
Major(s): Biotechnology - microbiology emphasis
Minor(s): Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.92
Type of Student: Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 159

V: 161
W: 5.5

Research Experience: One semester in a molecular virology lab, two years in a fungal biology/biochemistry lab. One middle author pub, one first author pub in the works, honors thesis. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Graduating with a separate baccalaureate degree from my University's Honors College

Special Bonus Points: My PI for the last two years is fairly famous and I have no doubt he wrote me a very strong LOR. Another LOR is coming from a department head.

Hey Sailstothemoon, I also applied to Colorado State MIP, have you heard anything from them yet? I'm expecting to hear something this week or next based on previous years, but I'm getting impatient!

Nope, unfortunately nothing yet. They said they are reviewing in January though so hopefully we will hear something soon!