2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Is anyone else exhausted :huh: waiting to hear something as me? Every single day I think this might be it!

Quick update on Boston U PiBS, after emailing him, I got a reply from program director that, " We are in the process of evaluating approximately 500 applications. Those students who we feel will be a good fit for our program will be contacted to set uo interviews."

The email didnt have any particular info about how many left or any timeline, except the number '500' :unsure:

Edited by Signal transduction

Is anyone else exhausted :huh: waiting to hear something as me? Every single day I think this might be it!

Quick update on Boston U PiBS, after emailing him, I got a reply from program director tha, " We are in the process of evaluating approximately 500 applications. Those students who we feel will be a good fit for our program will be contacted to set uo interviews."

The email didnt have any particular info about how many left or any timeline, except the number '500' :unsure:

Boston is a fairly new program so I'm trying my best to be patient... It just seems odd because they sent a ton of interviews out in December.

Also waiting if it makes you feel any better. Haha.

Boston is a fairly new program so I'm trying my best to be patient... It just seems odd because they sent a ton of interviews out in December.

Also waiting if it makes you feel any better. Haha.

I feel the same way about Boston PiBS. I did some research on last year's posts and found that in 2013, they sent out a lot of "waiting list" for the program in Jan through March but no rejection in that time period; at least not posted in gradcafe. But this year its only the interview invites or so far "the silent treatment"

At this point I will be thrilled to hear any of the Universities (positive of course)! So far they all are zipped about responding on my application. :(

Edited by Signal transduction

Read in the results listings that CO State MIP had sent out invites on Jan 14. Anyone get an official rejection yet or have more information? I was hopeful since I'm in-state but now not so much. That makes two assumed rejections, Yale is assumed too, probably Montana as well :-( Too bad. Now what to do....

Edited by SailsToTheMoon

Read in the results listings that CO State MIP had sent out invites on Jan 14. Anyone get an official rejection yet or have more information? I was hopeful since I'm in-state but now not so much. That makes two assumed rejections, Yale is assumed too, probably Montana as well :-( Too bad. Now what to do....

That was me who posted about Colorado MIP... Emailed the grad coordinator today and she informed me that invites had been sent out already, and that unfortunately I was not selected for an interview at this time... Not a formal rejection but close enough. I honestly thought that program was going to be a guarantee.

I feel the same way about Boston PiBS. I did some research on last year's posts and found that in 2013, they sent out a lot of "waiting list" for the program in Jan through March but no rejection in that time period; at least not posted in gradcafe. But this year its only the interview invites or so far "the silent treatment"

At this point I will be thrilled to hear any of the Universities (positive of course)! So far they all are zipped about responding on my application. :(

That happened to me last year, ended up getting a rejection via snail mail in like June or something. Made me not want to reapply.

That was me who posted about Colorado MIP... Emailed the grad coordinator today and she informed me that invites had been sent out already, and that unfortunately I was not selected for an interview at this time... Not a formal rejection but close enough. I honestly thought that program was going to be a guarantee.

I'm sorry. I sent an email today so I'm waiting for my unofficial rejection now. I see you applied to UTMB. I was thinking of applying there but wasn't sure I could spend 4-6 years in Galveston. good luck on your interview and please let me know what you think of the school and people you meet. Maybe I'll apply there next year.

If anybody here is planning on going to Madison CMB on 20-22 but is available on 6-9 do you think you could switch?  I already have flights and everything with ucsd for 6-9, and they say that 20-22 is at maximum capacity. These are two of my top schools and would hate to have to sacrifice one. Otherwise, do you have any ideas on how I could deal with this?

I thought UCSD BMS's alternate date was Feb 27-March 2?

Looking at a lot of interview invites, If I didnot get weill Cornell - BCMB (allied program - mentioned developmental biology) or NYU-Sackler Developmental genetics invite so far, does it mean its almost a rejection?

I got a rejection from Sackler-Developmental Genetics a while back.  I don't think it's a bad sign, for sure, because you at least missed out on the big wave of rejections that went out around a week ago.

I'm sorry. I sent an email today so I'm waiting for my unofficial rejection now. I see you applied to UTMB. I was thinking of applying there but wasn't sure I could spend 4-6 years in Galveston. good luck on your interview and please let me know what you think of the school and people you meet. Maybe I'll apply there next year.

Thanks, hope you get better news than me... :) are you interested in vector biology? They have a great program at UTMB.

Anyone know if UVA BIMS is done with apps? I emailed admissions and they said my application was updated but I don't know what that means. Still reviewing apps??

Just out of curiosity, what are some reasons that a grad school would REJECT applicants after they invited them and interviewed them? People have been telling me that as long as I don't act like a crazy person they'll accept me.. but it seems like most schools accept 50~70% of students they interview and I just can't imagine that that many people (50~30% of interviewees) would do something wrong at the interview, like get drunk/be arrogant,etc. Do you guys have any ideas?

Does anyone know BCM developmental biology?

Had it sent out all interview invitations?

They did not reply either my email or my call.

If you find out let me know! I see there is an interview invite in results on the 14th Jan. I assume they are just waiting for interview declines and going down the list - so not much hope I think....

I got a rejection from Sackler-Developmental Genetics a while back. I don't think it's a bad sign, for sure, because you at least missed out on the big wave of rejections that went out around a week ago.

High. Sorry to hear about your rejection. So I'm either at the bottom pile of waitlist or ''to be sent out for rejection-but couldn't get to it yet'' list :)

Just out of curiosity, what are some reasons that a grad school would REJECT applicants after they invited them and interviewed them? People have been telling me that as long as I don't act like a crazy person they'll accept me.. but it seems like most schools accept 50~70% of students they interview and I just can't imagine that that many people (50~30% of interviewees) would do something wrong at the interview, like get drunk/be arrogant,etc. Do you guys have any ideas?

Seconding this question. Can many people really be making truly egregious errors? Or are reasons for rejection usually more mundane (doesn't seem fluent enough in area of interest/previous research) during in-person interviews? 

Congrats to everyone with acceptances, I will definitely be on pins until the first one comes in.

I just got an email about Mt. Sinai interviews, Feb 3-4th.

Congrats on mt. Sinai interview. I'm waiting for that...

Seconding this question. Can many people really be making truly egregious errors? Or are reasons for rejection usually more mundane (doesn't seem fluent enough in area of interest/previous research) during in-person interviews?

There are a lot of people not on this site we forget about haha. People messing up profs names, not really knowing about the program, etc.

Also some people just might not "fit" right, or their interests don't exactly match, etc.

Having been on the otherside of interviews, yes, more people than you might imagine make egregious mistakes and say things that are just terrible and leave an awful impression. More often, though, is the problem when an interviewee comes in with a nice CV, but it becomes apparent that they never really thought through their work, criticially questioned or designed things, only have an "in-class" understanding of the subject matter, etc. That's ok to a certain extent, you cultivate that perspective in grad school, but if your CV says one thing about you, but your ability to ask and answer questions gives a different impression, it's a bad sign.

From my own personal experience, it has a lot to do with program fit and if you can really articulate your past research experiences.  However, interviewing more than a month after initial recruitment weekends can also have an impact (they say it doesn't but really… the acceptances are probably all decided).  Also, I interviewed at a program last year where I felt really out of my league.  It was as if they had invited a few applicants just to invite many more people than would ever be accepted..but I could just be imagining things.