2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

It was the worst. I spent hours trying to find a blazer that wasn't too stuffy and didn't make me look like a box. None of my interviews have specified a dress code, so I'm just trying to find some middle ground between my usual cardigan and a business suit.

Yup I feel ya, I tried on half a dozen boxy blazers today. Also apparently I'm lopsided and dresses don't fit me well  :huh: Finally found a decent one. Now I have to find shoes, that are comfortable, dressy, and not too high of a heel. Impossible? Maybe.

Yup I feel ya, I tried on half a dozen boxy blazers today. Also apparently I'm lopsided and dresses don't fit me well  :huh: Finally found a decent one. Now I have to find shoes, that are comfortable, dressy, and not too high of a heel. Impossible? Maybe.

Simple black flats usually work for me =)

Too real. I'm pretty much planning on high boots with a slight heel for all of the trips. Anyone think this will look weird? I'm visiting some California schools but they're fairly chilly (get down to 50s) so I'm hoping it won't seem anomalous. 

Too real. I'm pretty much planning on high boots with a slight heel for all of the trips. Anyone think this will look weird? I'm visiting some California schools but they're fairly chilly (get down to 50s) so I'm hoping it won't seem anomalous. 

I think you'll be fine. Honestly I think as long as we don't wear skirts too short or boobs hanging out no one will notice anything.  :P  I'm just worried about my feet either being hurt or freezing. In my experience black flats don't support me enough, so I wind up in pain after a bit. I'm so horrible at dressing up.

I have been idly collecting really fancy blazers off clearance racks since high school, and a grad school interview will finally give me a chance to wear the nice ones. 

(Dear grad schools: if you could humor my fashion indulgence with an interview invite, I'd be ever so happy.)

People here in California wear boots pretty often, so it won't look weird at all.  :)  I would be too hot in boots here though. I find that people keep indoor temps a few degrees warmer in Cali than in colder climates

Since we're on the subject of interview attire, I thought you guys might appreciate this joke: my dad just suggested that, since people say that you should "dress for the job you want," I should show up to my interviews in a lab coat and goggles. :P

Haha or I could show up wearing sweatpants looking frazzled and overtired, play the role of stressed out grad student!

Just got an email inviting me for a Skype interview in 2 days time for the genetics, genomics and development PhD at Cornell University! Also got my official acceptance from Penn State, they are offering:

26000$ stipend per year + 2000$ enhancement for first year and also full tuition fee waiver. They will also nominate me for additional fellowships. I am from the UK, so I am not sure whether this is a good offer or not, any input?

My situation is therefore at:

Oxford- Genomic Medicine and Statistics - Interview

Sanger Institute- 4-year PhD -Interview

Cambridge- Mathematical Genomics and Medicine - Interview 

Imperial College- Genomic Medicine - Interview

Harvard- Biostatistics

Harvard- Public Health: Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology

Penn State- Entomology - Acceptance - 26000$ + tuition fee waiver

Cornell- Genetics, Genomics, and Development - Interview

Just got an email inviting me for a Skype interview in 2 days time for the genetics, genomics and development PhD at Cornell University! Also got my official acceptance from Penn State, they are offering:

26000$ stipend per year + 2000$ enhancement for first year and also full tuition fee waiver. They will also nominate me for additional fellowships. I am from the UK, so I am not sure whether this is a good offer or not, any input?

Harvard- Biostatistics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology

You might want to ask about health insurance and grad student housing.  $26K is pretty good outside of NYC.

You might want to ask about health insurance and grad student housing.  $26K is pretty good outside of NYC.

I agree! I'm from that area originally, and you will be able to live comfortably on that stipend. 

Edited by mmw77

Harvard- Biostatistics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology

I also think this is good. $26K should be a comfortable living salary in State College.

If a school offers to house you at a hotel or with a current student during an interview, would it be seen as "greedy" to request a hotel? I just figure that a hotel would let me rest and focus on the interviews.

I'm a US applicant, so they are paying some for airfare too. The school/program is UPenn Biology Department.

Harvard- Biostatistics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology

I must say that is envious offer! Isn't that almost the best offer they can give you?

If a school offers to house you at a hotel or with a current student during an interview, would it be seen as "greedy" to request a hotel? I just figure that a hotel would let me rest and focus on the interviews.

I'm a US applicant, so they are paying some for airfare too. The school/program is UPenn Biology Department.

It's not a test of greed, you're overthinking this, just take the hotel if that's what you prefer

From what I can tell, this is pretty comparable to stipends at most universities across the US. i'm not from Penn so not sure how much it costs to live there. To figure out about how much housing is - craigslist is a good place to look up apartments/houses for rent.

I think it's fine since they're giving you the option. Some people might want to maximize with grad students to really get the inside scoop. Some people might want to get a full night's rest.

Alright, thanks guys for your input! The offer also includes health, dental, and vision insurance. I thought that was rather unimportant because it is free here in the UK, that's why I didn't mention it... It seems like it is a good offer! That's great!

On another note, I just received another Interview invite for a program at Oxford. It's really weird because I didn't apply for it... I guess somebody nominated me? I'm excited about it, but I am also scared that they made an error and will retract the interview invite, haha.

I don't think it is necessarily "greedy," but I do think it is generally best to just go along with the flow if they seem to have a preference. If your POI or coordinator indicates it would be best for you to stay with a grad student, I'd do that. They might very well want you to stay with a grad student to become better acquainted with the grad student point of view at the university, and to see what living accomodations are like in the area. If they honestly don't indicate a preference, do what feels right to you.

Update for those who are worried about UVA BIMS ! Just called them and they are still reviewing applications. They said that they are behind the schedule this year and trying to catch up. So it may take 1-2 weeks more to get any update.Lets hope for the best.

FYI,I called the cancer bio office. So not very sure about other depts