2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

How so knightrunner?

I'm still thinking in how to approach this, but I got interviews for possible funding for UCLA and a funding program from Brown only if I get accepted to a graduate program.   I figured if potential PI know my status maybe I will get an interview shot, otherwise the money will go to waste.  I just can't depend on admissions if they can put 2+2 together.  I find it funny in how could I get interviews for this, but not an actual graduate interview yet.

Thank you iheartplants! I'm so excited for UM, it's my top choice!

I actually applied to the micro program at MSU (more microbial ecologists in that dept). I was surprised by how much I liked the school and would be super happy there as well.

I love how all of you Michiganders show the mitten when you talk about where you're from. Super cute. :D  Can't wait to live there (hopefully!!)

Who did you interview with in the micro department if you don't mind me asking?

Is anybody waiting to hear from NYC univs? Weill Cornell (BCMB), NYU sackler, Einstein and mount Sinai? Is it just me waiting for them or have they gone silent?

Guys, what is a pre-interview? My current institution wants to do one and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Not exactly sure, but usual a pre-interview consists of some sort of list of questions about yourself that the school wants to know before the interview actually happens (maybe something asking about what your general interests are, career goals, or something you might not have mentioned in your personal statement).

What was the context of them asking?

Is anybody waiting to hear from NYC univs? Weill Cornell (BCMB), NYU sackler, Einstein and mount Sinai? Is it just me waiting for them or have they gone silent?

still waiting on weill ...not feeling good about it =/

i'm still waiting on Einstein.

Einstein sent out their invitations last week I believe.

i'm still waiting on Einstein.

still waiting on weill ...not feeling good about it =/

Einstein sent out their invitations last week I believe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0okhyNTQDvoNmVtQ2VwRUozQms/edit?usp=sharing

Here is my analysis in the pdf link: I plotted number of people who herd back from the program either with an Interview/reject (regardless of positive or negative feedback). Take it with a grain of salt. The data suggests that:

1. Weill Cornell sends out invite mostly in Jan. If you dont hear from them by jan end, I would assume its a reject (although there may be a blip chance). :| 

2. Mount sinai sends out invites in Jan and Feb. So there is time. :)

3. Einstein sends out in Dec and Jan. But, Most of the invites so far has been given to American students (not many internationals - I or U categories). So, for internationals, there is still hope. But, If you dont hear by the end of Jan, its likely a reject I believe. :| 

4. NYU-Sackler: Starts from Dec and goes upto Feb. So far most of students who received invites are all americans (A). So there is time :) .

Edited by T.J

I am still waiting on einstein, and got my rejection from nyu last week. I am also waiting on stony brook, but it can't get ahold of anyone there.

I am still waiting on einstein, and got my rejection from nyu last week. I am also waiting on stony brook, but it can't get ahold of anyone there.

Wonder if the arctic storm is going to delay the results this week ?

Well, Einstein has interviews on February 6-7 and 13-14, so there is plenty of time for more interviews to be sent out.  Also, looking at earlier results, people have gotten interviews in February as well.

Re Mt. Sinai - I e-mailed them and they got back to me with this:

"

...many have already been sent out but we are still in the process of doing so."

As there are only two on the Results Search maybe not that "many" have been sent.  Just FYI for those of us waiting!

My count so far is:

Interviews at Michigan State University (Plant Biology PhD) and University of Pittsburgh (Evolution and Ecology PhD).

Assumed rejections from Stanford University (Evolution and Ecology PhD) and UC Berkeley (Integrative Biology PhD).

Nothing yet from University of Maryland CP (Behavior, Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics PhD).