2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Thanks for calling Kimthi1011, and I agree with you that it's irresponsible; there is a right way to reject applicants and a wrong way to reject applicants. Did they say explicitly that they would be sending out more interview invitations? I know they already sent out a first wave as my former lab mate got his back in mid-December. 

They said they are finishing up making the final list. My guess is that they have already read all of the applications, sent out interview invites to their most desirable candidates, and are still considering a number of applicants for a very few spots left. Some of us who haven't heard anything from them is probably under their wait-list, well only until the end of next week.

Edited by kimthi1011

Is there somebody here who's going to an interview at Cornell? Do they pay for your travel expenses?

I am interviewing with Cornell Biomedical Sciences. I  paid for my plane ticket, but was informed I would be reimbursed, yes.

I am interviewing with Cornell Biomedical Sciences. I  paid for my plane ticket, but was informed I would be reimbursed, yes.

Ok thank you ;-) My situation is a little different since I'm an international student and that they are just supposed to Skype with international applicants. But since I will already be in the US, I wanted to know what's their policy for American applicants. 

Ok thank you ;-) My situation is a little different since I'm an international student and that they are just supposed to Skype with international applicants. But since I will already be in the US, I wanted to know what's their policy for American applicants. 

I would call them up and explain that you are living in the US and if it is possible if you can have an interview in person and if you will get reimburse.

Here is a small update for my situation (my profile is on page 4 of this thread):

Oxford- Genomic Medicine and Statistics - Interview

Sanger Institute- 4-year PhD -Interview

Cambridge- Mathematical Genomics and Medicine - Interview 

Imperial College- Genomic Medicine - Interview

Harvard- Biostatistics

Harvard- Public Health: Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology

Penn State- Entomology - Acceptance

Cornell- Genetics, Genomics, and Development

I have already gone to the interview at Imperial, waiting for the results to be released next week. The other interviews are all the week after, so I will be busy then. I was accepted to Penn State without interview which was nice. They will contact me later with details on funding. Has anybody heard from the Harvard public health department at all? Or from UC Davies for entomology? Thanks :)

How's it going for the EEB people?!

I know there are not many of us here! Anyone hear from University of Michigan EEB yet???

Ugh i'm anxiously awaiting to hear something from the EEB programs!

From my potential PI at Mich, we should hear something Mon or Tue *fingers crossed*

Any idea when we'll hear from Brown? There aren't that many posts on results so it's hard to know what to expect.

Official rejection email from UW-MCB just came in. I knew it was coming, still stings anyways. :(

Thanks for the update. I wonder if I'll get mine soon. I'd just like closure at this point.

Ugh i'm anxiously awaiting to hear something from the EEB programs!

From my potential PI at Mich, we should hear something Mon or Tue *fingers crossed*

Any idea when we'll hear from Brown? There aren't that many posts on results so it's hard to know what to expect.

Good to know about Michigan. And no idea about Brown. I know their application deadline was a little later than most so I'm hoping by the end of the month. If not I will be calling!

It looks like UVA BIMS has 5 admissions clusters, so the timing of interview invites may depend on which research disciplines we chose in our applications. I'm assuming that the 8 spots for 130 applicants statement was based on just one of the clusters and all of BIMS, since the Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology graduates about 10 people per year by itself.

Just in case anyone else applied to Colombia Biological Sciences and is interested:

"This year, for the first time, we have two interview weekend dates, one is January 26-27 where interviews would take place January 27, the other is March 7-8 where the interviews would take place March 7.  Invitations for the January interview dates have already gone out. We have not started inviting for the March date yet.  I expect we would in about 2 weeks."

Hope is not lost!

anyone applied to University of Texas GSBS at Houston? Any updates on that? Thanks!

I did. I got this two days ago:

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Admissions committee is currently meeting to review all applications. Should they decide to extend to you an invitation to one of the three (3) Visitation weekends, you will be notified directly with all relevant personnel you should be in contact with.

In regards to final decisions, applicants will receive notification via e-mail or hard mail by April 2014.

I hope this information has been helpful. Have a great day!

Pretty much stuff we already know. I just emailed them because I can only do one more interview because of my classes and was trying to plan for it, but we will see...I still have four schools to hear from.
Edited by aba1984

Got a Yale BBS (immunology) reject yesterday. Expected since it looked like they sent out most of their interview invites before the holidays. Just need to hear back from Stanford at this point, though I assume that's a rejection too since it looks like some micro/immuno invites went out earlier this week. Infinitely grateful for the interviews that I've got, and excited to start visiting these schools. 

Anybody reading this who's bummed out about lots of rejections and what may be shaping up to be an unsuccessful application cycle: I know it doesn't seem like it right now because of how much it hurts, but this is not the end of the world. I went through that last year, and when compared to my experience this time around it's like night and day. And if you get into 1 program this year that you don't think is a good fit, don't force it on yourself. Last year I only got into 1 place that I really didn't like after interviewing, but it still looked like an awfully tempting option once I found that nobody else wanted me. Looking back I'm so happy that I didn't accept that, since I think I would have been miserable there for the next 5-6 years. Taking another year or 2 off will help so much with your application profile, and it's likely that with more experience you'll get interviews at a dream school. In the grand scheme of things, another year of your life spent working really isn't that bad - OK, maybe you'll end up graduating when you're 30 instead of 29, but that's absolutely not worth going somewhere that you're not in love with. Don't settle for less than you deserve just because things didn't work out in your favor this round; the best things are worth waiting for, right?

Got a Yale BBS (immunology) reject yesterday. Expected since it looked like they sent out most of their interview invites before the holidays. Just need to hear back from Stanford at this point, though I assume that's a rejection too since it looks like some micro/immuno invites went out earlier this week. Infinitely grateful for the interviews that I've got, and excited to start visiting these schools. 

Anybody reading this who's bummed out about lots of rejections and what may be shaping up to be an unsuccessful application cycle: I know it doesn't seem like it right now because of how much it hurts, but this is not the end of the world. I went through that last year, and when compared to my experience this time around it's like night and day. And if you get into 1 program this year that you don't think is a good fit, don't force it on yourself. Last year I only got into 1 place that I really didn't like after interviewing, but it still looked like an awfully tempting option once I found that nobody else wanted me. Looking back I'm so happy that I didn't accept that, since I think I would have been miserable there for the next 5-6 years. Taking another year or 2 off will help so much with your application profile, and it's likely that with more experience you'll get interviews at a dream school. In the grand scheme of things, another year of your life spent working really isn't that bad - OK, maybe you'll end up graduating when you're 30 instead of 29, but that's absolutely not worth going somewhere that you're not in love with. Don't settle for less than you deserve just because things didn't work out in your favor this round; the best things are worth waiting for, right?

another U. wash person I see

Mine doesn't have any changes either, maybe this means wait list?

That's what I'm wondering... No idea if anyone got a rejection from BBSB or just the other disciplines. Only one we know for sure was immuno.

At this point I just want to know... My SO is starting to hear back from his applications so the whole process is getting more complicated.