2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

That's what I'm wondering... No idea if anyone got a rejection from BBSB or just the other disciplines. Only one we know for sure was immuno.

At this point I just want to know... My SO is starting to hear back from his applications so the whole process is getting more complicated.

I feel you here. The "two-body" problem makes things a ton more complicated. :/ :/ 

I feel you here. The "two-body" problem makes things a ton more complicated. :/ :/ 

My SO still has hopes for Yale for a masters but for me it's looking pretty hopeless, trying to remind him of that is hard when he's like "but you haven't been officially rejected yet!"  <_<

Anybody reading this who's bummed out about lots of rejections and what may be shaping up to be an unsuccessful application cycle: I know it doesn't seem like it right now because of how much it hurts, but this is not the end of the world. I went through that last year, and when compared to my experience this time around it's like night and day. And if you get into 1 program this year that you don't think is a good fit, don't force it on yourself. Last year I only got into 1 place that I really didn't like after interviewing, but it still looked like an awfully tempting option once I found that nobody else wanted me. Looking back I'm so happy that I didn't accept that, since I think I would have been miserable there for the next 5-6 years. Taking another year or 2 off will help so much with your application profile, and it's likely that with more experience you'll get interviews at a dream school. In the grand scheme of things, another year of your life spent working really isn't that bad - OK, maybe you'll end up graduating when you're 30 instead of 29, but that's absolutely not worth going somewhere that you're not in love with. Don't settle for less than you deserve just because things didn't work out in your favor this round; the best things are worth waiting for, right?

I'm completely bummed out because I only know for certain of 2 rejections with no interviews so far.  I thought doing a post baccalaureate would give me the edge to get an interview, but even then I haven't heard anything.  I was counting on the California Schools, but I guess I'll have to play the waiting game till Feb to see if I am completely unsuccessful or not.  I just don't know if I should start taking an active approach and start calling PI or the admissions committee to see if I can make a complete turnaround like win potential scholarships or something.

I'd like to get all your impressions on baylor college of medicine and university of texas health science centre san Antonio (more so this one)? Got interviews to these before hearing back/rejections from others (princeton, columbia, northwestern, rockefeller, ucsd, wustl, uwisconsin)

When did you get an interview to HSC San Antonio/how were you contacted?  Also when did you apply?

By email, late last week. Applied in the first week of January.

Edited by RR1

Got an on-campus interview invitation from U Penn BGP. Happy. Already talked to the PI  whose work I showed enormous interests in. Seems like I have a fairly good chance for this one, which may very likely end up my only option this year.

That's a great option! My dad keeps reminding me that all I need is to get into one great program. :) congrats!

Has anyone encountered a need for formal attire during an interview? It is science after all and I get the sense is that casual dress is the norm, but since I'm coming from abroad for several interviews I'm hoping not to have to pack a suit. 

Has anyone encountered a need for formal attire during an interview? It is science after all and I get the sense is that casual dress is the norm, but since I'm coming from abroad for several interviews I'm hoping not to have to pack a suit. 

For most interviews, a dress shirt and slacks is sufficient. A tie and/or sport coat if you want, one. Just don't wear jeans or anything less than business casual and you should be fine. I would personally dress a tad above business casual, but I'm also female. Good luck!

Some people will dress up regardless of what the coordinators say. If I went to an interview and the majority of people were dressed more formally than me, I would feel uncomfortable. Consequently, I choose to dress a little more formally than the coordinators say, just in case. 

If the program actually specifies informal dress should you go with that, or is it better to still dress up slightly? One of mine said it was informal just dress for the weather.

I'm in this boat too. One of my programs literally said: "This is Berkeley. Dress casually. We mean jeans." I think when the actual word "casual" is used, or when specific directions are given, nice jeans are fine (dark rinse, no holes, etc.). However, I think if they say business casual or do not elaborate on their definition of casual, it is good to go with the khakis and a nice shirt scenario. Regardless, no one is going to look down on you for looking nice :)

If you're in EEB, nice jeans and a sweater should be fine. Nicer pants are fine too, but you'll be fine without a suit. Definitely pay attention to the weather forecast.

Also, if you're unsure, ask someone at your program! If they tell you dressing informal is okay, it is -- no one is trying to trick you!

Hello guys,

For people that got the invitation to Rockefeller, did you already receive the FedEx package? I always had issues receiving packages to my mail box, so I am not sure if it is lost or it is still in its way... Thank you!!! 

I'm in this boat too. One of my programs literally said: "This is Berkeley. Dress casually. We mean jeans." I think when the actual word "casual" is used, or when specific directions are given, nice jeans are fine (dark rinse, no holes, etc.). However, I think if they say business casual or do not elaborate on their definition of casual, it is good to go with the khakis and a nice shirt scenario. Regardless, no one is going to look down on you for looking nice :)

If you're in EEB, nice jeans and a sweater should be fine. Nicer pants are fine too, but you'll be fine without a suit. Definitely pay attention to the weather forecast.

Also, if you're unsure, ask someone at your program! If they tell you dressing informal is okay, it is -- no one is trying to trick you!

Good points. I would definitely rather be over-dressed than under. EEB is pretty laid back though so I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about the weather. I'm from the deep south so winter is sort of intimidating for me! Although, I happened to be in Chicago at the beginning of the month, during the polar vortex, and survived so I guess I'm good.

As a Californian who interviewed in the Midwest and on the East Coast last year, I can say that the general trend is the further westward, the more casual. "California casual" is a thing for a reason. I found the East Coast interviews to be all suit-and-tie, pretty much. My labmates, who went to school all over, generally agreed with the East = formal, West = informal, Midwest = halfway trend.

I interviewed and live on the east coast. For anything other than the interview that said casual, I opted for corduroys and a simple sweater. I found that the outfit blended in either way, if people were more on the casual (jeans) side I didn't look too dressed up, and if people were still formal, at least I wasn't wearing jeans and still fit in. Worked for me, I'm a female btw. 

I interviewed and live on the east coast. For anything other than the interview that said casual, I opted for corduroys and a simple sweater. I found that the outfit blended in either way, if people were more on the casual (jeans) side I didn't look too dressed up, and if people were still formal, at least I wasn't wearing jeans and still fit in. Worked for me, I'm a female btw. 

Yeah, the thing that threw me was how formal "business casual" is on the East Coast. In CA, I spent a large chunk of my life wearing sundresses+cardigans as "interview clothes" and getting by just fine. On the East Coast the standards seemed different.

And of course for non-interview situations you can wear whatever you like, no one expects you to wear a suit-and-tie to the post-interview barhop.

I'm international as well. I wore a button down shirt & formal pants without a tie. It was very cold so I also wore a sweater. I got into the program. However there were many with suits.