Where is everyone?

I keep stopping by the forum every day and night and I see no new posts at all. Where are you Fall 2014 applicants? I guess this is a stage that we all need some encouragement, something that keeps you working hard until you're sure that you're ready to apply. I hope all is going great with you guys :)

I check in a few times daily, too.  I guess I just haven't had anything new to add lately.  Just the same old grind of prepping for the GRE subject test, reading books by my POIs, preparing conference proposals, and rewriting/rewriting/rewriting my SOP.  What's everyone else up to?

Good for you. I'm having a huge block, can't get any writing done. And whenever I start thinking about rewriting my PS or starting a new writing sample, I fell like I still have ages till the application process begins. I know time flies, but I'm just trying to find an excuse for my procrastination. I guess talking about our plans on this forum is more encouraging than with one's self.

I know I need to start working on my SOP and studying for the GRE, but I'm currently too busy with my dissertation to focus much on those aspects of the application. I am in the process of emailing profs in the city I'll be living in next year to see if they need an RA, which is kind of productive. Gah. I also check by more or less daily to see if anything exciting is happening. 

Hehe, I decided to take the month off of academic stuff when the semester ended a few weeks ago, but I'm gonna get cracking next week. That includes studying for the GRE, starting the SOP, figuring out possible writing samples, narrowing down schools, etc.

I'm also working at the campus bookstore all summer, trying to plan a wedding for next summer, and trying to figure out what my thesis is going to be about lol.

I have a question about documentation, since we'll be writing writing writing for a long time. I get confused when I quote details about the biography of a certain writer. I mean, how do you cite general information such as birth date/place, works, awards...etc.? Do I have to document every single sentence in this case? Or should I include a reference at the end of my paragraph? Knowing that all the information I need about the writer's life could be in one source. Thank you fellas ;)

Ah, yes. I've been stopping by periodically to see what's up, but meh...just grindin lately. My main preparation for the upcoming application cycle has been to try and get a few publications under my belt. So far, so good, but haven't even started working on applications yet. :-/

And Rose, I don't know exactly what you're working on, but based on your comment I think I'd probably just cite at the end of the paragraph (so long as no other citations are interjected along the way). 

I'm also working at the campus bookstore all summer, trying to plan a wedding for next summer, and trying to figure out what my thesis is going to be about lol.

I just got married last August, so let me know if you'd like an awesomely detailed wedding planning spreadsheet. A friend of a friend created it, and it's been passed around my social circle for years. Spreadsheets: life savers for grad school applications AND wedding planning! 

Good news: in the last month, I found out I'm getting my second peer-reviewed article published.

Bad news: I just found out that the school I adjunct for is docking my pay from 3 credit hours to 2 credit hours because my summer class only has 8 students enrolled in it and they want 9. It's still a 3 credit hour course and I'm still doing the same amount of work, but for less money.

I know post-phd job opportunities are slim... But wow. I love teaching and I've remained relatively positive about being an adjunct for the past two years, but feeling exploited with absolutely no recourse makes me really glad I'm starting my doctorate in the fall.

Bad news: I just found out that the school I adjunct for is docking my pay from 3 credit hours to 2 credit hours because my summer class only has 8 students enrolled in it and they want 9. It's still a 3 credit hour course and I'm still doing the same amount of work, but for less money.

tumblr_m8vkooVyD11ql5yr7o1_400.gif

The bastards.  You're getting out juuuuust in time, TJG.

Good news: in the last month, I found out I'm getting my second peer-reviewed article published.

I know post-phd job opportunities are slim... But wow. I love teaching and I've remained relatively positive about being an adjunct for the past two years, but feeling exploited with absolutely no recourse makes me really glad I'm starting my doctorate in the fall.

1) Congrats!

2) Sorry to say the exploitation doesn't end when you're a grad-fellow; you just feel slightly more valued by the university.

We're still here, Rose Egypt.  I'm usually just casually checking the boards without logging in, but maybe I should try to wean myself from Grad Cafe entirely for a while?  It really kills productivity, and now that I've actually made it into a Ph.D. program, I have less of an excuse to spend hours upon hours on these forums.  :P

I do want to return in late fall to answer questions and offer advice about my program specifically, though.  I'll be back, folks!  B)

We're still here, Rose Egypt.  I'm usually just casually checking the boards without logging in, but maybe I should try to wean myself from Grad Cafe entirely for a while?  It really kills productivity, and now that I've actually made it into a Ph.D. program, I have less of an excuse to spend hours upon hours on these forums.  :P

I do want to return in late fall to answer questions and offer advice about my program specifically, though.  I'll be back, folks!  B)

I hear that. I've actually been better about obsessively checking to see how everyone's doing. And then datatape blows my mind with an amazingly appropriate gif and reminds me why I obsessively check. I'm going to try to be of service where possible but I need to, like, actually finish my Master's thesis. And move across the country. When it starts to get hairy around October next year I'll probably pop in with a pep talk or two. Good luck, y'all.

Breaks! We will need them!

But I agree. I kind of feel like I don't really have anything to contribute anymore/yet (other than the occasional upvote, I guess). Things'll pick up in the next couple of months.

Hi everyone. I'm also trying to spend less time here, but it's so hard to quit! I know this is probably a real nerd move, but I'd love to keep in touch with some of the people I met here and follow their academic careers. In case anyone feels the same, I go by Ruthie O on facebook (whoa! Identity revealed!).

I'll probably come back towards the Fall when the crazy really ramps up! Until then, good luck ya'll! 

1) Congrats!

2) Sorry to say the exploitation doesn't end when you're a grad-fellow; you just feel slightly more valued by the university.

you know, I would love to feel more valued! Even a little! Apparently I'm only valued at $600/credit hour, 2 credit hours for a 3 credits of work. I hate that they did thi to me my last semester, now I'm dreading starting the semester tomorrow.

For some reason this thread was exactly what I needed to get my ass in gear in regards to applications next year. I overhauled my GRE strategy this weekend, registered for the test, and have started drafting my SOP. 

I'm glad to see everyone is alive and well :)

...aaaand back to my dissertation. 

I do creep in here every once in a while to see if anything has happened.  But I spent the last 9 months with grad school anxiety stepping on my soul and sucking the life out of me, so I needed to step away for a while.  May was a chill-out month, and honestly, the only thing I really plan on doing during June is registering for the GRE and studying vocab on my phone.

I love GC, and will not be totally absent, but I do know that I need a break from all but the surface stuff for a while before I have to throw myself into the crazy pool again.

I mostly felt really down after my GRE Subject Test and then responded by reading voraciously. I've been working with some professors to try and get together a new sample. I think I have some neat opportunities, but it's going to be a lot to do over the summer.

One of my professors did tell me I had as much want-to as anybody he knew. Which was nice... I think.

I mostly felt really down after my GRE Subject Test and then responded by reading voraciously. I've been working with some professors to try and get together a new sample. I think I have some neat opportunities, but it's going to be a lot to do over the summer.

One of my professors did tell me I had as much want-to as anybody he knew. Which was nice... I think.

Yeah, I had a prof call me 'enterprising' earlier this week in regards to my grad app gumption. I'm taking it as a compliment...