Learning German

BuffaloSoldier

Hello all,

I am preparing myself language-wise before entering my history MA program in the fall. I took Spanish in high school and Latin in college, but was not great at either. It seems to me that learning German is critical for graduate school. I have been using Rosetta Stone for the past year and have definitely learned a lot. However, I have found that it is more about speaking the language than learning to read it. I would like to buy a textbook that is great at learning to read German and best prepare me for the next level in my academic life. I apologize if this has been a previous topic that I missed. I remember hearing somewhere (and it may have even been on this forum) that April Wilson's German Quickly is a good one. I appreciate any and all responses.

Many thanks,

BuffaloSoldier

Learning German is important if only you really need it for your dissertation or you're doing European history.  Don't torture yourself with it if you don't need it.

"German for Reading Knowledge" is the best text out there.  Also, I'm sure that there must be a "German for Reading" course at  your new university.

Consider German in Review, if you have some experience with the language.  If you're a native English speaker, you should easily pick up German grammar.  Some universities allow students to take classes in lieu of exams, and many universities allow the use of dictionaries on exams, so, like TMP said, don't stress about it unless you want to study German history.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing German via Tell Me More, which is more concerned with grammar and writing than with speaking.  If money wasn't an issue, I'd recommend that.  Berlitz and Pimsleur are old standbys, and they've survived for a reason. 

Learning German is important if only you really need it for your dissertation or you're doing European history.  Don't torture yourself with it if you don't need it.

"German for Reading Knowledge" is the best text out there.  Also, I'm sure that there must be a "German for Reading" course at  your new university.

I disagree rather strongly that Korb's (formerly Jannach's) "German for Reading Knowledge" is the best text available. April Wilson's book contains far more comprehensive strategies on understanding the relationship between German and English words, as well as engaging more comprehensively with the subject material in each chapter. At the same time, Wilson also provides a far better overview of dictionaries and how to use them in chapter 17 of her book. As if that wasn't enough, Korb's text is also some $70 more expensive than Wilson's.

You won't go wrong with April Wilson plus Pimsleur tapes from your local library.

Edit: I'm editing to add that, in addition, the "German for Reading Knowledge" book has been through 7 editions. The 7th edition is riddled with errors (including supposedly being printed in 2014) and is not appreciably better than the 6th edition, although it is far more expensive and is the text being used by a wide swath of German Reading courses these days. It is just different enough from the 6th that you can't be certain that it is safe to use the 6th. There is, in essence, a random re-arrangement of chapters and introduction of "topical" sentences (mainly sentences that reference a recent date so as to suggest that the book is somehow "current") and the like.

Edited by virmundi

I disagree rather strongly that Korb's (formerly Jannach's) "German for Reading Knowledge" is the best text available. April Wilson's book contains far more comprehensive strategies on understanding the relationship between German and English words, as well as engaging more comprehensively with the subject material in each chapter. At the same time, Wilson also provides a far better overview of dictionaries and how to use them in chapter 17 of her book. As if that wasn't enough, Korb's text is also some $70 more expensive than Wilson's.

You won't go wrong with April Wilson plus Pimsleur tapes from your local library.

Edit: I'm editing to add that, in addition, the "German for Reading Knowledge" book has been through 7 editions. The 7th edition is riddled with errors (including supposedly being printed in 2014) and is not appreciably better than the 6th edition, although it is far more expensive and is the text being used by a wide swath of German Reading courses these days. It is just different enough from the 6th that you can't be certain that it is safe to use the 6th. There is, in essence, a random re-arrangement of chapters and introduction of "topical" sentences (mainly sentences that reference a recent date so as to suggest that the book is somehow "current") and the like.

Thank you for your comparison of the two books. I have been going back and forth between these two texts, and you've given me the courage to go with the Wilson (who doesn't love saving some money). 

• 3 weeks later...

Related question: have many of you who are already attending learned languages on your own on the side? I assumed this is what coursework was for, but I'm already identifying some scheduling conflicts/lack of course offerings where I'm headed and wondered how common it was to be learning a language on one's own while enrolled in a PhD program.

• 4 weeks later...

I also would recommend an app if you're at all into apps: Duolingo. I'm using it right now to brush up on my German from a few years back. It's not going to help you with speaking but definitely listening, writing and reading. My only gripe about it is that the woman who pronounces things say "Ihr" and "Er" too much alike.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one...

How useful is reading knowledge of German? I'd love to hear from current grad students in European history.

I can pass language exams in French and Spanish, both of which I need for my research, so I wouldn't have to learn another language to meet requirements for the programs I applied to. I don't study German-speaking Europe, but I am interested in the history of European integration, and of the languages I don't read German is definitely the one that I come across most often when looking for books and articles.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwile to study a bit on my own (I've already started, but I haven't gotten very far) and maybe take a reading course when I am in graduate school. Would a program even allow me to sign up for a German course if I've already passed my language exams?

Karl Sandberg's "German for Reading Knowledge" has been the standard for decades. You'll notice, if you look, that it costs a whole lot of money online, because it is out of print. Here's a neat trick:

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/language/German%20for%20Reading/

Karl Sandberg's "German for Reading Knowledge" has been the standard for decades. You'll notice, if you look, that it costs a whole lot of money online, because it is out of print. Here's a neat trick:

Thanks so much! I am sure I am not the only person who will find this helpful.

I got a set of A1-level textbooks from the library and I'm working my way through the grammar and written exercises. They are written entirely in German, which works well for the way I learn languages, but once I am done with the basics it would make sense to switch to "German for Reading Knowledge." Meanwhile I am learning useful phrases for historical research like "How much does the sofa cost?"

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this! Sandberg's '_____ for Reading Knowledge' series of books are extraordinary! I own copies of the French, German, and Spanish iterations of that series and they are all wonderful. I had typically not recommended this in the past because of its expense and general lack of availability. Marvelous!

I'd recommend the English Grammar for Students of _________ series, which they have for German and most other western languages. It's really helpful for understanding foreign language grammar structures in terms of the grammar we already know, and they have a lot of helpful tips on mnemonic devices. Also, Duolingo is a free app and website for a few western languages that, while woefully short on explaining grammar, does offer good practice for vocabulary. Neither is probably a good substitute for coursework, but both are useful supplements and could be used in tandem in a pinch to at least begin acquiring language skills on the cheap.

As someone on the opposite end of the spectrum who speaks fluent German and intermediate Spanish but is trying to learn French for grad school, does anyone have book recommendations? I use Duolinguo and an A1 high school beginner's textbook right now, but I would love to know if there's something better out there.

I'd recommend the English Grammar for Students of _________ series, which they have for German and most other western languages. It's really helpful for understanding foreign language grammar structures in terms of the grammar we already know, and they have a lot of helpful tips on mnemonic devices. Also, Duolingo is a free app and website for a few western languages that, while woefully short on explaining grammar, does offer good practice for vocabulary. Neither is probably a good substitute for coursework, but both are useful supplements and could be used in tandem in a pinch to at least begin acquiring language skills on the cheap.

I would second this. It was a required book in the German courses I took and it helped A LOT. I'm not great with languages, so if it is at all possible for you to maybe audit the course (if formally enrolling isn't an option) I would go for it.

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one...

How useful is reading knowledge of German? I'd love to hear from current grad students in European history.

I can pass language exams in French and Spanish, both of which I need for my research, so I wouldn't have to learn another language to meet requirements for the programs I applied to. I don't study German-speaking Europe, but I am interested in the history of European integration, and of the languages I don't read German is definitely the one that I come across most often when looking for books and articles.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwile to study a bit on my own (I've already started, but I haven't gotten very far) and maybe take a reading course when I am in graduate school. Would a program even allow me to sign up for a German course if I've already passed my language exams?

German is generally the second most common language in the humanities after English.  It is essential for several history concentrations:  European, ancient (both ANE and Greco-Roman), medieval, Jewish, etc.  I would take advantage of the free link below, although April Wilson's book is more user friendly.  Duolingo is a great starter tool, as one has over 2000 words and all the grammar upon completion, as well as access to intermediate articles.  

LOL, thanks.  

For French, Sandberg, as was previously stated, is the best, along with duolingo for basic reinforcement.  

Edited by awells27

• 5 months later...