Who drinks coffee?

child of 2

I love, love, love coffee. I started drinking it as a child, and it may sound weird, but I'm Colombian, and coffee is a daily thing. I would see my dad drinking coffee and would drink some myself.

I really like the taste of Colombian coffee, too, even black. 

I don't feel that it helps me with energy, which can be unfortunate sometimes.

I don't feel that it helps me with energy, which can be unfortunate sometimes.

It's funny that you mention this. My significant other is from El Salvador and she grew up drinking coffee from a young age as well (they actually put a splash of coffee in her milk bottle when she was a baby). She also says that coffee doesn't give her a pick me up, but instead makes her sleepy. Her family often drinks coffee late at night, maybe a few hours before bed. The coffee they brew is VERY mild though and has only a fraction of the caffeine content you would get in a coffee from a place like Starbucks.

It's funny that you mention this. My significant other is from El Salvador and she grew up drinking coffee from a young age as well (they actually put a splash of coffee in her milk bottle when she was a baby). She also says that coffee doesn't give her a pick me up, but instead makes her sleepy. Her family often drinks coffee late at night, maybe a few hours before bed. The coffee they brew is VERY mild though and has only a fraction of the caffeine content you would get in a coffee from a place like Starbucks.

Yeah, I can drink it really late at night and won't have any trouble going to sleep shortly after that. Central and South American coffees do tend to be on the mild to medium side, so that's why I don't even mind drinking them black. However, a French press or an Ethiopian coffee are really strong for my taste.

I drink coffee, and I wish I didn't. I started in elementary school, and have progressively moved up to half a pot (6 measured cups) per day on average. If I don't have coffee, I can get crippling headaches now that prevent me from doing any work until I get my fix.

I'm trying to find substitutes with less caffeine to slowly wean myself off of my addiction.

it's cool to get all of these perspectives. Maybe in the near future, I will pick up coffee. I can't keep my freaking eyes open during those freaking office meetings. I don't think my boss is too pleased to see me squinting my eyes and sitting there like a vegetable. 

I drink coffee, and I wish I didn't. I started in elementary school, and have progressively moved up to half a pot (6 measured cups) per day on average. If I don't have coffee, I can get crippling headaches now that prevent me from doing any work until I get my fix.

I'm trying to find substitutes with less caffeine to slowly wean myself off of my addiction.

Yeah, that sucks. The key is to make sure that you don't drink progressively more, but keep drinking a consistent, moderate amount. 

FWIW, the headaches go away pretty quickly if you just quit for a while. Even a week or two. And then you can start drinking moderate amounts again. 

That's part of why I routinely attempt to go without caffeine for extended periods.  It would be very easy for me to fall into the point of requiring it to function.  Last week was especially bad.  

Maybe you could try reducing the concentration of caffeine in the pot trying to gradually work it down (ie, 3/4 regular, 1/4 decaf)?

That's part of why I routinely attempt to go without caffeine for extended periods.  It would be very easy for me to fall into the point of requiring it to function.  Last week was especially bad.  

Maybe you could try reducing the concentration of caffeine in the pot trying to gradually work it down (ie, 3/4 regular, 1/4 decaf)?

I'm trying to remove my desire for the flavor, too. Hence the tea. But, I'm making progress. I'm down to 2 cups of coffee each day with a tea in the afternoon.

I've not started grad school yet but right now I take two cups of coffee in the morning and a cup of green tea when I come back from work.

The coffee keeps me alert through the day and helps with my work (coding). Hopefully I would drop the habit when I start grad school because I would do less coding and more reading. :)

I've not started grad school yet but right now I take two cups of coffee in the morning and a cup of green tea when I come back from work.

The coffee keeps me alert through the day and helps with my work (coding). Hopefully I would drop the habit when I start grad school because I would do less coding and more reading. :)

In Anthropology we have to read so much, and from experience I can tell you that heaps of reading can also get your eyes really tired, so don't rely on that keeping you alert without the coffee.

I started drinking coffee in graduate school.  I just really love the taste, smell, and mouthfeel, and it's a soothing morning ritual for me.  I don't drink it every day (just almost every day: I have a Keurig) and when I do, it's a small cup; I haven't noticed feeling more tired on mornings on which I don't drink coffee.  To be honest, coffee doesn't really give me that much of a boost; I think it's because I don't drink that much.  I've actually been known to get really sleepy and cozy after a good cup of coffee.  Sometimes I drink it before bed with dessert, and I haven't had trouble going to sleep with it.

My real addiction is chai tea lattes.  If I ever learn how to make those at home, I'm done for.  I just don't like giving Starbucks $4 a cup, so that limits my intake. I'd love to become a coffee snob, but at the moment I am far too impatient to grind my own beans.  I'm sure there are a lot of places to find great coffee here in NYC, but I have just never bothered to look.  I would, however, like a nice cozy comfortable coffee shop that isn't Starbucks.  I'd like to support some independent shops.

Yes, coffee can give your body the illusion it's awake when it's not.  That is the point of caffeine.  But of course you can do a PhD without caffeine.  In fact, you can do a PhD without staying up late at all, if your budget your time well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't drink it every day (just almost every day: I have a Keurig) and when I do, it's a small cup; I haven't noticed feeling more tired on mornings on which I don't drink coffee. 

Same here! I love my Keurig. It gives me the perfect amount, and since it only makes one cup, I don't feel inclined to drink more than I need. When there is just a whole pot of coffee sitting there...I keep going back for more even when I could do without it.

That's a bummer, I was in a similar situation a few years back.  I was working full-time, going to school part-time, and training taekwondo five days a week, while drinking lots of caffiene - mostly coke and coffee - in the course of my day.  One day the stars aligned and I didn't have to go to work or school, which was rare.  So I went to the gym in the morning, started training, and just... crashed.  At first I couldn't figure out why, since I had slept fine and all that.  Then I realized that in my NORMAL work/school routine I would have had several hits of caffiene by then, which had all been skipped that day.

I quit caffiene cold-turkey right there, and didn't have any for about three years.  When I finally started re-introducing it in small amounts, I found I was hyper sensitive to it.  Now I regularly enjoy one cup a day, and it gives me a significant energy boost.  So, while everyone is affected by it differently, if you can handle the week or two of discomfort I recommend going cold-turkey for a bit and giving your system a break.  Then reintroduce slowly and in moderation, and whatever you do avoid re-escallating.

I started towards the end of High School, and since then I have consumed increasing amounts. During college, not only did I drink coffee, but also energy drinks (like AMP) and 5-hour energy, also caffine pills. Since I started grad school, I haven't had any of the other stuff. But I do drink a lot of coffee these days.

• 5 months later...

I've never had coffee before. I have some sort of weird aversion to the smell. Those who drink it regularly tell me to never, EVER drink it to avoid developing the wicked addiction.

I'm sure there are a lot of places to find great coffee here in NYC, but I have just never bothered to look.  I would, however, like a nice cozy comfortable coffee shop that isn't Starbucks.  I'd like to support some independent shops.

Whereas Starbucks may be on every corner, NYC has decent local places every other, and some are beyond exceptional. If I lived in a city like NY, I'd be short on rent because of my cafe addiction.

I've never had coffee before. I have some sort of weird aversion to the smell. Those who drink it regularly tell me to never, EVER drink it to avoid developing the wicked addiction.

I'm not a fan of coffee either, although I've had it before. In addition to not enjoying the taste and smell, I have horrible responses to caffeine...I'd drink a cup, go bananas/have palpitations, and then fall asleep within 30 minutes. 

Tea and water are my lifeblood.

I'm not a fan of coffee either, although I've had it before. In addition to not enjoying the taste and smell, I have horrible responses to caffeine...I'd drink a cup, go bananas/have palpitations, and then fall asleep within 30 minutes. 

Tea and water are my lifeblood.

Tea is my LIFE! I have to have at least 2 cups a day.