Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Hello everyone,

It has been so much fun reading your posts, knowing I am not in this alone!! It is so great to be here =)

I started off as a high school dropout; I had to leave high school for medical reasons.  I received my GED just months after my peers graduated.  I fell in love with sociology when I took 101 as a biology major.  Understandably, one of my favorite areas of sociology is medical sociology.  My other interests include sociology of religion, gender, and reproduction.

I completed my undergraduate education this past December 2013 with a combined GPA of 3.94 from both colleges (3.88 at community college, 3.97 at the four-year college).  I completed an undergraduate honors thesis to earn departmental honors in sociology.  

As for GRE scores, I received a 164 (93rd percentile) in Verbal, a 152 (49th percentile) in Quantitative, and a 4 (53rd percentile) in Analytical Writing.  I know the quantitative score is a bit low, but I can't be too hard on myself, though, (I'll leave that to the admissions boards) considering my practice tests started me out in the 20th percentile.  

I am blessed that none of the schools required a page limit for the writing sample portion of the application.  I just submitted my thesis as my writing sample.  I am also lucky to have had some stellar letters of recommendation from my thesis committee who can vouch for my quantitative abilities that the GRE score does not reflect.

Here are the schools I've applied to:

- Lehigh University, PA

- University of Delaware

- University of Maryland

You may be asking: "Medical Sociology?  Where's Brandeis in that list?!?"  Brandeis is my dream school!!  However, it is imperative I stay as close to home as possible at this time, for personal family reasons.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you  :)

PS - if any of you will be there, I will be attending the Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS) winter meeting in Nashville next week, and I will also be attending the Eastern Sociological Society (ESS) winter meeting in Baltimore from February 20-23.

Edited by gingin6789

@Gingin

You sound like a great applicant. Good Luck!

P.s.- I'm presenting at ESS :)

Thank you very much, Cylon6!!!!!!  Best of luck to you as well!!   :D Congratulations on your acceptance to UVa!!

I am presenting, too!!!!!  I'm very nervous because these are my first two conferences! 

Edited by gingin6789

Thank you very much, Cylon6!!!!!!  Best of luck to you as well!!   :D Congratulations on your acceptance to UVa!!

I am presenting, too!!!!!  I'm very nervous because these are my first two conferences! 

No need to worry. Conferences are a great time to present your research, get feedback, and network. Just make sure to have a nice slide presentation and know your stuff. It is not fun when someone comes in and reads a long dry paper. I'm not saying you would do this, but I have seen it happen several times.

Wow, so many with high aspirations! Congrats to those that got into Stanford, looks like a great program, How is the funding?

Application costs were a major issue for me, but if things do not work out this year I will expand my options next year for sure!

Congrats again

Congrats to everyone with Stanford acceptances so far. I've heard that the funding packages from last year were extremely generous and VERY competitive.

I still have hope, but the second I saw those pop up in the Results section, my stomach dropped.  It would be REALLY great to hear from *one* of my top choices. 

Fingers crossed I'll be joining you guys with good news soon. Really trying to take a break from the site for a day or two. 

That said, I'll probably see you all at 9a. :)  

Don't lose hope. More spots will open up as people turn down offers. if there's some kind of unofficial wait-list you could still get in. And some schools send acceptances in waives as funding becomes clearer, etc.

I sound like a broken record. I just hate to see my comrades so down on themselves!

Truth: I'm freaking out a little too since the funding at Davis is unclear. I could still end up having to try again next year. Bloop. Blergh.

No need to worry. Conferences are a great time to present your research, get feedback, and network. Just make sure to have a nice slide presentation and know your stuff. It is not fun when someone comes in and reads a long dry paper. I'm not saying you would do this, but I have seen it happen several times.

Thank you very much, NewGrad123.  You were right to warn me; I am hopeless without a speech in front of me, whereas most others I know are most comfortable giving a presentation "off the cuff."  However, I know the pain of being bored to death by a speech, so I practice my speaking to the point where I do not sound robotic and rarely have to glance down at my paper, so that's good!  I also sound professional, yet like I'm telling a friend a story ("conversational" might be the applicable word here?) according to people who have heard me present in classes.

I am VERY excited for this opportunity! Sorry if I strayed off the original forum topic here.  I'm not sure how stringent this forum is about staying strictly on topic, but you all have been very warm and welcoming thus far =) =)

OH, here's a fun dream I had about being accepted.

I dreamed I got accepted to University of Delaware with funding of ... $100,000.  Being a seasoned lucid dreamer, I instantly realized it was a dream and woke up haha.  

@Socioholic, I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, but I'm glad you've experienced the catharsis of actually KNOWING the status of an application!  Plus, it sounds like you have a plan B!  :D

Also, your username is fantastic!!!  Describes our lives, here!!!

Can anyone confirm the rejection from UT-Austin? It would really suck if UT-Austin implement the "if you don't get an email, then you're rejected" route. I'm pretty sure as a top research university they'll have the decency to send out rejection letters...right? Please tell me it's not over yet?!?!

Can anyone confirm the rejection from UT-Austin? It would really suck if UT-Austin implement the "if you don't get an email, then you're rejected" route. I'm pretty sure as a top research university they'll have the decency to send out rejection letters...right? Please tell me it's not over yet?!?!

Hey there.  I did not apply to UT-Austin, but I found the following on the Results Search page from another user who was applying to the sociology program and was rejected:

• If you have not been sent an acceptance e-mail, then you were not accepted, per the Graduate Program Coordinator who I corresponded with.

You can definitely contact the Graduate Program Coordinator as well to corroborate or confirm this statement.  Hopefully, the person who posted their result will show up in this thread.

Edited by gingin6789

Hey congratulations

What's your profile if you dont mind me asking?

No problem.

GPA: 3.65, math major at a small liberal arts college

GRE: 167 V / 170 Q / 5.0 W

Research experience: Quite a bit in math and economics. Not much experience in sociology, though my writing sample focused on topics of interest to sociologists (labor unions, income distribution, etc.)