Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Hello everyone,

It has been so much fun reading your posts, knowing I am not in this alone!! It is so great to be here =)

I started off as a high school dropout; I had to leave high school for medical reasons.  I received my GED just months after my peers graduated.  I fell in love with sociology when I took 101 as a biology major.  Understandably, one of my favorite areas of sociology is medical sociology.  My other interests include sociology of religion, gender, and reproduction.

I completed my undergraduate education this past December 2013 with a combined GPA of 3.94 from both colleges (3.88 at community college, 3.97 at the four-year college).  I completed an undergraduate honors thesis to earn departmental honors in sociology.  

As for GRE scores, I received a 164 (93rd percentile) in Verbal, a 152 (49th percentile) in Quantitative, and a 4 (53rd percentile) in Analytical Writing.  I know the quantitative score is a bit low, but I can't be too hard on myself, though, (I'll leave that to the admissions boards) considering my practice tests started me out in the 20th percentile.  

I am blessed that none of the schools required a page limit for the writing sample portion of the application.  I just submitted my thesis as my writing sample.  I am also lucky to have had some stellar letters of recommendation from my thesis committee who can vouch for my quantitative abilities that the GRE score does not reflect.

Here are the schools I've applied to:

- Lehigh University, PA

- University of Delaware

- University of Maryland

You may be asking: "Medical Sociology?  Where's Brandeis in that list?!?"  Brandeis is my dream school!!  However, it is imperative I stay as close to home as possible at this time, for personal family reasons.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you  :)

PS - if any of you will be there, I will be attending the Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS) winter meeting in Nashville next week, and I will also be attending the Eastern Sociological Society (ESS) winter meeting in Baltimore from February 20-23.

Good luck! I am super interested in Medical Sociology as well!! I never looked at the schools you applied to, I wish I did - they seem great. You can see where I applied below.. Super anxious to get an email soon. I discovered medical sociology as an undergrad at Brandeis and spent my last two years taking med soc related classes the whole time. It made me so happy to know that Brandeis was such a big deal for med soc. Good luck!! :)

Congrats to all the Princeton accepts! :D Enjoy being in the #1 program. Wish some of you winners at life had posted your stats too, though :P. I didn't even apply to Princeton, but I am curious about their standards lol. 

Good luck! I am super interested in Medical Sociology as well!! I never looked at the schools you applied to, I wish I did - they seem great. You can see where I applied below.. Super anxious to get an email soon. I discovered medical sociology as an undergrad at Brandeis and spent my last two years taking med soc related classes the whole time. It made me so happy to know that Brandeis was such a big deal for med soc. Good luck!! :)

Oh my goodness, alphacat, I am just super excited that you got to attend Brandeis as an undergrad!!! I asked my thesis advisor the best school for medical sociology, and she instantly said "Brandeis," as if saying "Brandeis" is a reflex when hearing the term "medical sociology."  You are in a GREAT place.  And Wendy Cadge is there!! *swoon* Her intersectional work on religion and medicine makes my heart race!!!  It's so well done!!  

Look at that great line-up you've got for schools!!  You have so many great programs on your list!  Location was the main restraint that weeded out a lot of great places (personal family reasons are keeping me here).  My thesis advisor weeded out three others, and two others that were fairly nearby were not a good fit (HUGE emphasis on demography, which I enjoy, but not as much as medical sociology, gender, or religion.  Plus, my quant GRE scores are only in the 50th percentile).

ANYWAY, I'm rambling now!  It's so great to meet you and hear about your great experience at Brandeis and your experience in applying to grad school!  I am glad to be in the same boat as you and all the others in this thread! We've got a great crew! :D  

Please do let me know how you do, and best of luck to you!!! 

Congrats to all the Princeton accepts! :D Enjoy being in the #1 program. Wish some of you winners at life had posted your stats too, though :P. I didn't even apply to Princeton, but I am curious about their standards lol. 

yeah congrats indeed! please share your stats so that the next year people will make more informed applications. What is there to lose anyway, already in the no.1 program? :) 

inwhatway congrats!  Were you previously admitted, or did your email come this afternoon? 

I was admitted on Monday-mind blown.  Still waiting to hear from Cornell's PAM program, BGSU and Michigan.  I'm one of the few family demographers on the planet, so my application list was very targeted.  

Does anyone have any info on the admissions at UCSB? According to the results from last year, they began notifying people around this time by phone. Given my luck (if I am fortunate enough to be accepted), I am out of the country and do not have access to a phone. Does it matter at all?

I'm not sure, but I'm wondering the same thing about UMD.  I saw they were also giving out notifications around this time last year.

As for your other question, I think it might be appropriate to contact admissions to ask about what you should do ... I think that is definitely an acceptable reason to contact them!  But that is my opinion.  Anyone else care to weigh in?

I'm not sure, but I'm wondering the same thing about UMD.  I saw they were also giving out notifications around this time last year.

As for your other question, I think it might be appropriate to contact admissions to ask about what you should do ... I think that is definitely an acceptable reason to contact them!  But that is my opinion.  Anyone else care to weigh in?

Thanks! I will do that

I'm waiting to hear from UCSB too. If you're admitted I'm sure they'll try to make multiple points of contact with you. Can you update your contact info on your app from your computer?

Also a great idea, Maleficent!!  If they allow you to add notes, you also can put "out of the country from xx/2014 - xx/2014.  Please email" or something. 

Possibly, but what would I update it to?

You could probably have admissions put something on there about email contact as your preference. Or do you have a skype or google phone number? How would someone contact you in case of an emergency?