Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Saw the first Berkeley's Jurisprudence and Social Policy admission, my dream program :D . Anyone claims it?

Also my dream program! Sadly, I think how it works is that those who aren't admitted right away are rejected. No wait list.

Any word on Berkeley? MD-College Park? Cornell? And how do grad schools do these notifications??? LMAO.

I saw at least one Cornell acceptance or rejection ... check out the Results Search!  I'm not sure about Berkeley or UMD, but I really wanna hear from UMD soon!

For anyone who applied to the University of Maryland, I rechecked the website to see about application status and they will be sent out by mail, not email or phone. I'm not sure when but this is just a reminder to check your mailboxes also in this age of technology!

Thanks for sharing!

Duke DGS here. Decisions have all been made but the grad school rolls them out in batches for some reason. You should be hearing very soon. We had an amazing group of applicants this year so if you didn't make it, please try not to take it too hard. There were easily 10-15 additional people we would have been thrilled to admit if we had the room. As someone who has been directly involved in admissions at Berkeley and Duke 6 times, I can assure you that there is some "measurement error" in the process. I think we do a pretty good job, but if the composition of the committee had been a little different, for example, I'm sure the list of admits would have been a little different, too. My point is that this process is not an error-free referendum on your academic worth. So hang in there!

Steve Vaisey's the man for posting on here, jussayin'.

For anyone who applied to the University of Maryland, I rechecked the website to see about application status and they will be sent out by mail, not email or phone. I'm not sure when but this is just a reminder to check your mailboxes also in this age of technology!

It's been giving me this message for a while, but I saw that last year and the year before that folks have been notified by phone call or email as well (despite the ASF saying decision correspondence can't be given via email ... But, I think what the ASF refers to in that case is a student emailing/calling them saying "What's the decision for my application?" rather than a POI or the University sending an official email to/calling the applicant).

Additionally, see the following from http://www.socy.umd.edu/graduate/faq:

Q: Has a decision been made on my application?

A: You should be able to view a PDF of your decision letter through your ASF. Once you log in, click on "Check Application Status" and click on the words "Decision Letter" to view a PDF.

I'm sure they'll send an official snail mail letter, but these might be some things to keep in mind.  Thank you for checking things out for us though! I hope this information helps or complements yours in some way!

Edited by gingin6789

I'd check the results. I'm pretty sure most of those schools have sent out some acceptances but I don't know if that's it or if more are on the way. I didn't apply to Binghampton but I know they aren't even meeting until the end of the month so don't expect decisions for a while.

Ok, thanks maleficient. Am surprised, but not complaining obviously, the Binghamton committee meets so late. All but NYU on my list has said they'd still accept materials this coming week so there's still some hope I guess.

I got my first acceptance!

Still waiting on 9 schools on my list left to notify, but I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted. 

I have the option to end up somewhere!

Congrats! Looking forward to even just a waitlist! Lol.

Another Berkeley JSP acceptance here, albeit with a political science focus. Best call from an unknown number ever! Any idea when we'll get official letters with all the details?

Congrats!! Isn't it exciting? What's your research interest area if you don't mind me asking?

As for the detailed offer being sent, I'm not sure. I was so surprised (as you said it was an unknown number) that I think I made a bit of a fool of myself saying "ok, wow, thank you." I did have the wherewithal to ask if the details would come by post or by email, and it is the latter, so hopefully won't be too long...

Edited by Huckleberry620

Has anyone heard anything at all from Columbia or Penn? All I remember seeing is a lone Columbia phone acceptance -- and it seems that decisions for both had gone out by this time last year.

I'm waiting on PENN as well.

I'm waiting on PENN as well.

For Penn, specifically, be it UPenn or Penn State, the reason why acceptances/rejections are being sent out later this year could be a variety of reasons ... but a BIG one might be the weather!!

Down here in central PA, my alma mater has cancelled at least four days of classes when, in years past, they wouldn't cancel class for anything!  I'm sure this weather has pushed back adcom meetings across the northeast which really sucks!  

I was thinking about how UMD sent out rejections/acceptances earlier last year than this  year (still waiting!), and then I remembered they've probably been hit pretty hard as well!!

Or, I could be completely wrong and they're just taking longer than usual for reasons besides the weather!

Repost from other thread but hopefully useful information:

- Stony Brook is meeting tomorrow. Expect to hear back later this week or early next.

- UCI hasn't made decisions for non-citizen students yet. This doesn't mean chances for us are good necessarily, though, as they are waiting "for additional funding to become available" first. I think it's not bad news either.

- Binghamton is meeting on the 21st (I think someone else already mentioned this)

- Columbia is still making decisions so some of you might have legit shots (I don't, cause GRE scores lol but thought the rest of you should feel a little at ease). 

- Rutgers has made their decisions so if you're feeling bold, give them a call. 

Anyone else suspect the single Columbia acceptance posted might be a fake? There is only one from last week and noone even claimed it, that I know of.

Also, if anyone has any real info on CUNY and whether they are still accepting (I highly doubt it but gosh I can't stop hoping, I have a total girl crush on this program) please please share. 

Woah, socgirl, you are in the know!!!  Thanks for the info.  I haven't applied to any of those places, but the information is SUPER useful!!  I hope you hear from CUNY, I haven't heard anything about that program!

Hahaha, no I am just exhausted of waiting so picked up the phone and called everywhere after I decided I don't care what the results are as much I care about knowing so that I can start planning the rest of my life lol. 

hear ya! the same here. what's there to plan now, especially if you are an international and a major life changing move to another country depends on a mail in your inbox?

hear ya! the same here. what's there to plan now, especially if you are an international and a major life changing move to another country depends on a mail in your inbox?

Little different in my case.

So I have an entire life set up in the U.S. from going to undergrad here. On my OPT currently and if isn't grad school, it's most likely pack up and go back even though my life, my friends, my boyfriend, mostly my hopes and dreams of becoming an expert sociologist are all here. 

Planning is going to be hard but needs to start ASAP so I really need answers.

You are spot-on with the life changing decisions depending on an email in your inbox lol!

Thanks for all the info, SocGirl! It's super helpful.

And gingin, you're probably right - I hadn't even considered that the Philly/East Coast weather might be a factor in the decision timeline. But now that you mention it, I have heard that Penn has completely shut down a couple of times in the last few weeks.