MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

For those of you that applied to PNCA are you painting? do they interview everyone for the mfa program?

I'm painting.  I'm not sure if they interview everyone.  I didn't know they did interviews at all until I had one!  Good luck.

Stanford: MFA Documentary Film. Anyone hear anything from Northwestern or Duke's MFA Documentary programs?

I have not heard anything at all from Duke. They have an awesome Documentary program with amazing faculty with good connections, hoping to hear something soon. I'm thinking sometime next week.

Here is the information I got when I called the school last month, spoke with Carol and found I did not make the cut. Their is a wait list that they have as a bit of stand by just in case the first choice folks don't go. From my understanding this list is not published nor has anyone been notified that they are on this list.

I would call if you want to know where you stand, they will flat out tell you. I knew I had been rejected a week before they got the email out (2/24) and it seems like that if you have not been officially rejected at this point it is likely you are on the wait list if you haven't heard anything. Still no information I or anyone can give you will replace actually speaking to the department.

I took your advice and reached out. This was the response that I received from Carol:

"Thank you for your inquiry about your application status. Your are correct, we have denied admission to some of our applicants, and we have also offered admission to some. We are still in the process of hearing back from our admitted applicants.

Although you are not on our wait list, your application was strong enough to not deny you. If you have an attractive offer from another school, it might be advisable to take it.

I hope this helps you in your decisions. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I was a little confused...it appears as if I'm in limbo? I'll take it as a rejection.

I took your advice and reached out. This was the response that I received from Carol:

"Thank you for your inquiry about your application status. Your are correct, we have denied admission to some of our applicants, and we have also offered admission to some. We are still in the process of hearing back from our admitted applicants.

Although you are not on our wait list, your application was strong enough to not deny you. If you have an attractive offer from another school, it might be advisable to take it.

I hope this helps you in your decisions. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I was a little confused...it appears as if I'm in limbo? I'll take it as a rejection.

Yeah that is confusing.  I just left carol a message, if she calls me back maybe I can get a little bit more information out of her. Like is there a waitlist group that was notified, that would be in line before the not denied group?  

I really wanted just a glimmer of hope.

Weird.  So I received another email today from Northwestern notifying that my application is complete. I received one in February, but this new one says that it has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. I guess its still a waiting game.

Does anyone know if UCLA offers acceptance without phone interviews?

When I visited the school for an info session the advisor said they didn't do interviews.

It seems like people have gotten contacted for phone interviews though...

Hi everyone!

I've applied for the CCA and the SFAI (photography).

The CCA they confirmed admission and last week I got a Skype interview as a candidate for a merit scholarship. They told me that they would confirm today if I get it... no news so far... should I wait longer or should I write them an email?

I was interviewed in SFAI but still no news...

This waiting is making me crazy :S

Do you know how does it work with the merit scholarships? Do they always interview the candidates for this kind of scholarships?

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Blablabla86

Rejected by WVU today. Guess I washed out this year entirely. Maybe time to rethink my life.

I hear ya...I have one rejection and two presumed rejections, and at my "safety" school I'm on the waitlist. I just don't think my portfolio was strong enough.

takarageck.wix.com/takarageck

I hear ya...I have one rejection and two presumed rejections, and at my "safety" school I'm on the waitlist. I just don't think my portfolio was strong enough.

You've got a great portfolio *loved the abstractions* Honestly it's crazy competitive out there. And you never know quite what each school is looking for. On top of that, recently more and more people are getting their masters, because of the job situation (apologies for the 'what this with economy') And I don't know the numbers but I bet certain mediums are more competitive just based on people applying (photography and painting probably has more than say.. social practice) So don't get down on yourself, take it as another year to grow! Explore more schools, and start talking to the heads of the dept, professors and students. It shows you're serious and willing to work hard. 

Often its hundreds of applications for 10 or so spots. Just in a numbers game, rejection is the most likely outcome. You're in good company :)

You've got a great portfolio *loved the abstractions* Honestly it's crazy competitive out there. And you never know quite what each school is looking for. On top of that, recently more and more people are getting their masters, because of the job situation (apologies for the 'what this with economy') And I don't know the numbers but I bet certain mediums are more competitive just based on people applying (photography and painting probably has more than say.. social practice) So don't get down on yourself, take it as another year to grow! Explore more schools, and start talking to the heads of the dept, professors and students. It shows you're serious and willing to work hard.

Thank you for the encouragement! I realize now that I applied to some super-competitive schools and I've seen posts from others where this is their 2nd or third time applying. I have already reached out to one professor from my wait listed school and will do so with the others. I think I'm just eager and "I want it now" as Veruca says in Willy Wonka. Haha

Edited by Takara1

Often its hundreds of applications for 10 or so spots. Just in a numbers game, rejection is the most likely outcome. You're in good company :)

Thank you! It is actually comforting to know I'm not the only one...even though that means others have been rejected too.

Of course I was the dumby to throw all my eggs in one basket... I really want to get into IU for painting. Anyone else anxiously waiting at the edge of his/her seat?

Edited by lilyb

Of course I was the dumby to throw all my eggs in one basket... I really want to get into IU for painting. Anyone else anxiously waiting at the edge of his/her seat?

Indiana -bloomington? did you have an interview?

Hi everyone!

I've applied for the CCA and the SFAI (photography).

The CCA they confirmed admission and last week I got a Skype interview as a candidate for a merit scholarship. They told me that they would confirm today if I get it... no news so far... should I wait longer or should I write them an email?

I was interviewed in SFAI but still no news...

This waiting is making me crazy :S

Do you know how does it work with the merit scholarships? Do they always interview the candidates for this kind of scholarships?

Good luck to everyone!

Hi blablabla - I'm in the same boat (CCA merit scholarship interviewee). They didn't give me a precise date - just, "next week". I'd say give it a few days before writing back - though I feel you - ANTICIPATION and soooo many feeeels. Good luck!

I applied to four MFA in Photography programs. So far I have received three rejections. However, I do not view them as rejections. I see them as gentle nudges on the path I am supposed to take. I know I will ultimately end up where I am supposed to be. I always do. I am still waiting to hear back from Cranbrook. This Monday, March 3rd, I spent ALL day there with 11 other finalists and most of the current Photography students. It is my desire to attend Cranbrook. There are only 7 or 8 spots. It is my hope that the others who have received multiple acceptances will choose to go elsewhere and open up a spot for me. And if not, I will enjoy this turn in the road. To all the others waiting for notification, I feel your pain. I hope you all get in somewhere and end up where you are supposed to be. It was great meeting you all and spending the day with you.

As far as UCSB, they contacted their admits and people high on the wait list in January... However, it's not over till it's over! I checked out your portfolio, Michelle, and your work is strong. Keep your head up!

Thank you! That's good to hear :)

Indiana -bloomington? did you have an interview?

I don't think the painting program has interviews unless you're elected for a fellowship... at least none that I'm aware of (I HOPE not :unsure: ). I've been going to the critiques every week, and all the small talk with the faculty has just been about the app deadline and advice to check on my transcripts-- apparently there was an issue with those. Otherwise I try to keep to myself.

I emailed Penelope Jones from USC and she said that if you haven’t been contacted you can assume you did not make the cut.

Thanks for the heads up! Have you heard anything from UCLA yet?

I don't think the painting program has interviews unless you're elected for a fellowship... at least none that I'm aware of (I HOPE not :unsure: ). I've been going to the critiques every week, and all the small talk with the faculty has just been about the app deadline and advice to check on my transcripts-- apparently there was an issue with those. Otherwise I try to keep to myself.

The critiques?