UCLA... is slowly driving me insane

mjameson83

I applied for the MLIS program at UCLA and have still not heard anything. I did have a problem with them receiving my GRE scores but after a lot of troubleshooting on my part they finally confirmed that my application packet was complete. After my initial problems I decided to email the department last week and they told me they are still reviewing applicaions and hope to have decisions sent out within 2 weeks.

After everything I've read in this forum I realize my chances are bleak but I want to hold out hope. I really want to go to UCLA for financial reasons since I am a California resident but am beyond frustrated that they have not sent out a decision. Has anyone else had a similiar or even opposite experience with UCLA?

Based on my undergrad record and work experience I thought I had a good shot at getting in. Now I'm starting to panic about out of state tuition costs :-/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ME TOO! I saw the title of this posting and i was like... omg I am so there. I applied to UCLA's MSW program in December and they are my top choice and I literally am slowly going more and more crazy every day I walk to the mailbox and... nothing. (Also obsessively checking my status online). Sigh. Why do they torment us so?

grrr ucla is a pain....

My recommendations are on the application status but under other names. I emailed them asking if they had received my recs and who these people were on my application status form. They said they would take care of it. But I haven't seen anything change on that page. I will be pissed if they didn't receive my recs after all.

So I couldn't take it anymore and anonymously called the graduate admissions office yesterday for an update. They let me know that all decision notices (admissions/ rejections) are sent out via email. They also let me know that it can take 7-10 business days for their office to process the email once the department sends them a decision.

Favorite part of the convo...they are understaffed but their "goal" is to have all decisions sent out by April 15th. Too bad that's when other schools want a final answer. I know it's not the departments fault but If I didn't want to go to UCLA so badly I would be completely put off by their admissions process.

Not to scare anyone but I just received a rejection letter on Saturday. It is disappointing since I have worked in both the publishing industry and higher education and really want to be a librarian. At the end of the day I am glad the waiting is over and I have at least one other option.

Best of luck to everyone else!

I received a letter via regular mail despite what the grad admissions office told me. My status online has still not been updated. My letter was dated 3/25 so if you didn't get one from that day hopefully you have a better fate and are waiting for the email acceptance :)

I am waiting for a response from UCLA as well--and the anticipation really is killing me. I am also still waiting on USC... has anyone heard back from them yet?

I applied to UCLA's East Asian Studies, MA and USC's Masters in Public Diplomacy.

just received a response from the social welfare department regarding my application decision status: Hello,

Your application was received complete and has been reviewed. A decision on your application has not yet been reached.

SW Admissions.

Not sure if this is a good sign or not. And the waiting continues...

just received a response from the social welfare department regarding my application decision status: Hello,

Your application was received complete and has been reviewed. A decision on your application has not yet been reached.

Not sure if this is a good sign or not. And the waiting continues...

That's the same e-mail I got from the MLIS program at UCLA. So what does that mean? Ugh! I really hate this waiting.

Just fyi:

I called my department at UCLA on March 31 and they told me that a decision had not been made yet--but by the afternoon, I received an email directly from the Chair of the department that stated that I had been accepted to UCLA and will be mailed the other information soon. The online admissions site where you were told to check for decision status still said that my application was still under review (hadn't been updated since Dec.). However, since the email from the Chair, I am assuming that the website status is now null and void for me.

As for USC,the last time I called was last week and initially the lady gave me the general "we are sending out decisions through March 31 by post only". Then when I was transferred to the financial department (for a different question), the person who answered said that USC had made a decision about my application and I should receive the letter by post this week. Nothing more than that.

So, I'm guessing, calling is not bad. :) We'll see what happens with USC.

JuneGem--

I am also waiting to hear from the MSW program. I know some people already know, so I called last week and they said they were reviewing my application. The admissions committee had a question regarding my application, so I gave them the information and was told I should hear in a few days. That was a week ago today and I still don't know.

I am crossing my fingers hard though....

Good luck to you!

thanks for this update - hearing about anyone in the same boat definitely helps put my anxious mind to ease... i really can't believe we STILL don't know. how do you know that some people already know? do you have friends applying to the program as well? i haven't found any information on any of these boards where people actually have a decision from them, but then again, this is a very small population so i definitely know it's likely that some people do have decisions. it just seems like they are REALLY dragging this whole process out! definitely keep me posted... i wish you the best of luck!

UCSD did the same thing. They didn't change the status since I submit the application at the beginning of Jan. Every time when I log in my account, it is said under review, which drives me so crazy.

I guess no news today either. Can you still log in through the MSW site and see your application status? https://www.sppsr.ucla.edu/application/default_ssl.cfm

It tells me there is an error with my request. I was so hoping it would be updated with some news.

This is where I saw that others had heard back: http://www.squidoo.com/socialworkburnout. Scroll to the bottom and you will see a few people mentioning that they were accepted as early as March 19th.

Hmmm....I hope I am at least on the waiting list, or maybe those first acceptances went to people who received funding or assistantships.

Ah, i see. Yeah I remember seeing that thread on Squidoo a few weeks back but didnt realize people had updated since then with acceptances! Boo... I guess that means we are more likely to be candidates they are on the fence about? Perhaps an informal waitlist...

Either way, no I cannot log in to check status on that site anymore! Weird. But the place I have been obsessively checking is here:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/new ... Status.asp

I am pretty sure this is the page that will update once they DO make a decision, but I think they will email us to notify us of an update here, so obsessively checking it over and over again isn't really going to get us anywhere... doesn't stop me from doing it a few times a day though! Argh!

do any of you know whether it is possible to be ACCEPTED by a department and then REJECTED by the UCLA general graduate division!?!?!?!??

i actually posted this elsewhere (sorry for the double posting) but this thread seems to be more appropriate for my question.

"UCLA's architecture dept admitted me to the M.Arch I program over three weeks ago.

i am STILL waiting to hear from the graduate division, which is really causing me a lot of stress!!! :cry:

i have called both the architecture dept and the general graduate division, both of whom said to "keep waiting" and were very vague about the possibility of being rejected by the grad division, despite my arch dept acceptance.

any thoughts? should i worry???"