NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

I just noticed that on the awards offers and HM list search page, before you select a year it says "2014 Offered Award List--not yet available" right below the search fields. Has this always been below the search fields or is this new? For some reason I never noticed this before. I thought it just said "no applications found" until a year was selected. 

Sorry to keep fueling the paranoia fire here...   :rolleyes:

I just noticed that on the awards offers and HM list search page, before you select a year it says "2014 Offered Award List--not yet available" right below the search fields. Has this always been below the search fields or is this new? For some reason I never noticed this before. I thought it just said "no applications found" until a year was selected. 

Sorry to keep fueling the paranoia fire here...   :rolleyes:

It has always said that.  

So it sounds like awards are distributed pretty evenly amongst years of grad school experience. How do they divvy awards amongst various fields of study? It seems like some fields may provide more immediate benefits by performing the proposed research, while in some other fields the comparative benefit of receiving external funding is much larger.

Man, I originally wanted to write that when the results comes out doesn't matter because we will get them eventually and they won't change.  

But then I began getting anxious about the NSF again and decided that I will go for a drink tonight.  

Yeah. People. Chill. And as an to alternative to getting in a tizzy when Fastlane goes down tomorrow (I'm betting winners are announced Friday morning), may I suggest a relaxing evening of the drink of your choice (be it scotch, whiskey, wine, beer, etc.) while you're obsessively checking this forum? Worst case scenario: you get denied any form of congratulations from the GRFP, but at least you spend the night with cool internet buds while forgetting about all your past/present/future sorrows. And after all... who gets work done on Friday?  

Man, I originally wanted to write that when the results comes out doesn't matter because we will get them eventually and they won't change.  

But then I began getting anxious about the NSF again and decided that I will go for a drink tonight.  

See my previous post, doctordestiny.

Who else won or think they won?

Actually, hate to tell you this, but I called NSF and they said that anyone mistakeningly told that they were accepted was actually meant to be told they were DQed, in advance of the accept/HM/deny notifications coming out soon. Sorry. I'll expect you'll be receiving a phone call about it shortly.

It looks like one GRFP award will be given to this PI at NIU this year... but there aren't any other awards/schools listed, so it's weird that this is up.  

I looked up the PI, Bradley Bond, and he is a dean of the graduate school at NIU and an associate professor of history. I have no clue what this listing means. When I first saw the listing, I assumed the PI was someone at the NSF, not a fellowship recipient. Instead of listing 2,000 award recipients for this week, they may have included one entry that represents the GRFP. 

I second this. Enlighten us please, even if it will only further my paranoia. 

This isn't news. NSF already mentioned that the stipend amount was increasing from $30,000 to $32,000, hence the 2k difference between $42,000 and $44,000 (the other $12,000 foes to other things like your tuition, $32,000 is what you get to take home for yourself)

If you check out the awards search (http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/simpleSearchResult?queryText=grfp&ActiveAwards=true) you can see that quite a lot of money was given to schools on 4/1/2013 (last year). So maybe the awards will come out tonight.

I looked up the PI, Bradley Bond, and he is a dean of the graduate school at NIU and an associate professor of history. I have no clue what this listing means. When I first saw the listing, I assumed the PI was someone at the NSF, not a fellowship recipient. Instead of listing 2,000 award recipients for this week, they may have included one entry that represents the GRFP. 

If you look up the previous awards, one way they list them is by university, as a record of funding achieved in total.

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1424871&HistoricalAwards=false

So some universities show having received X million for the nsf GRFP, whereas others, who might have only had one student receive the GRFP, might list it once, as $44k if they received it that year, or if the year before, 44kx2 = $88K, etc. PIs seem to never be the student themselves - I looked up some others, and they're dean provosts, etc. Perhaps it's meant to give credit to the students' mentors/university for having helped them get this far. 

If you check out the awards search (http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/simpleSearchResult?queryText=grfp&ActiveAwards=true) you can see that quite a lot of money was given to schools on 4/1/2013 (last year). So maybe the awards will come out tonight.

From looking at the page, it seems this is when the money is awarded to schools, but the dates seem to suggest that's when people requested to use them (remember, you can decide to defer accepting your GRFP for 12 months here and there, or accept it in the fall/summer, etc.) 

So, another possibility is that this ONE award might reflect someone who won the award last year, but deferred accepting it until this year, possibly once getting accepted into a graduate program the second time around.

Took a nap to try and take my mind off of the GRFP - woke up in the middle of a nightmare - I got an email from NSF saying that I would have won a fellowship spot but instead I'm being disqualified because my margins were off by .0001 inches. Anyone else having crazy GRFP induced nightmares?

Took a nap to try and take my mind off of the GRFP - woke up in the middle of a nightmare - I got an email from NSF saying that I would have won a fellowship spot but instead I'm being disqualified because my margins were off by .0001 inches. Anyone else having crazy GRFP induced nightmares?

yep, have had 3 dreams. First one I didn't get it, second I did, third I didn't find out :-P

So, another possibility is that this ONE award might reflect someone who won the award last year, but deferred accepting it until this year, possibly once getting accepted into a graduate program the second time around.

Not a possibility, as you must be attending or accepted to activate a fellowship even to defer. No acceptance, no fellowship.

Last night I dreamt that I got honorable mention and that I was disappointed, but the second year in my lab who applied didn't get anything (I'm a first year).  Then I felt bad for being disappointed.   

Not a possibility, as you must be attending or accepted to activate a fellowship even to defer. No acceptance, no fellowship.

True, and if you look at the estimated expiration date, it's for 5 years from now - the maximum time frame you can use to distribute your grant within. It looks like this is an actual award for this year, but we're still left with why just this one.

Perhaps they began determining who gets the grants, but mistakenly uploaded one decision online before realizing the "offline" announcement hadn't gone up yet?

True, and if you look at the estimated expiration date, it's for 5 years from now - the maximum time frame you can use to distribute your grant within. It looks like this is an actual award for this year, but we're still left with why just this one.

Perhaps they began determining who gets the grants, but mistakenly uploaded one decision online before realizing the "offline" announcement hadn't gone up yet?

Wrong again, as you can find additional listings for similar deans at other schools for this year.