PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

I'd could've been not all the academic advisers knew about it (I had LeAnn Aldirch.) Also Murphy was my faculty adviser, so she mentioned it to me as well.

Yeah, definitely adjustments should be made depending on the type of student one is, how good a test taker one is, etc.

CGKIMJR, I have not heard from U.Va. either. I emailed Liz Smith, the grad coordinator about this because I knew acceptances and waitlist offers went out a long time ago. In her response from Mar. 7 she said,

"You should definitely not give up hope yet, unless you have other offers, of course.  But, although your file is very impressive, we can only extend a few offers for the funding and until we hear their decisions, we are waiting, just like the other applicants.  The waitlist that we have is very limited, but there is still hope.  I do mark the "deny" decisions around the end of March so that everyone is aware of the department's decision.

Should you decide to accept elsewhere or just withdraw, which I hope you don't, I would appreciate the same courtesy of your decision, at least on the electronic application.

I wish I could give you more encouragement, but our hands are tied, too!"

So... I, unfortunately, expect we will get out "denials" in the next few days. Hope this is helpful though. Doesn't "deny" sound better than "reject" haha :P

Edited by theogeek

Just an update ... I received my formal offer from PTS and have been accepted to the History and Ecumenics area of study. I applied for Theology, Systematics. I think I always had it in my head that I was a "systematics" girl but the History/Ecumenics field makes A LOT more sense for my interests, particularly their "Mission, Ecumenics and History of Religions" track. Also a friend who is a former PTS student had recommended applying through ethics because there is less competition (at least at PTS), and said that once you get in, the official "field of study" is virtually meaningless anyway. This might be something to keep in mind for those considering applying in future years. I don't know if it holds for all schools, but if you have a highly popular field of study, perhaps think about if you could "sell" your application to a related, but less competitive field. :)

Another update... so apparently it was a clerical error and  I have been admitted to Systematic Theology, the program I applied to. The Mission, Ecumenics, and History of Religions track is jointly administered by both theology and history so I won't be precluded from participation in that! There's also the bonus of my degree being called "Systematic Theology," which is handy because it's what I want to actually teach :P  

Well, got in off the waitlist for  Hebrew Union's PhD in Jewish and Christian Studies in the Greco-Roman Period..  Funding offer is half of UCLA's - full tuition but half the stipend - but so is the cost of living in Cincinnati.  Both programs have interdisciplinary coursework established with Classics departments, HUC's with University of Cincinnati.  Both programs are outstanding, although UCLA would have the better reputation.  One can't overlook, however, HUC's strong ties to Jewish communities in several cities and what that might mean for future job placement.  I suppose this is a luxury problem, and UCLA is the safer choice.       

Go to UCLA, IMO. They have a world-wide reputation and overall more resources. HUC is a great school, but I think UCLA will get you the job end game. Plus the money is at UCLA. Congrats mate :)

UCLA also has a 50% shot of summer funding should one get a directed research project approved with faculty supervisor.  Should I presume that, upon turning down HUC, a waitlisted person gets funded offer, or might they just roll the funding into something else?  

Edited by awells27

UCLA also has a 50% shot of summer funding should one get a directed research project approved with faculty supervisor.  Should I presume that, upon turning down HUC, a waitlisted person gets funded offer, or might they just roll the funding into something else?  

And let's be honest...UCLA is in California. Definitely miss Cali weather at Emory.

Well, after stalling out on the wait list at Princeton and Harvard, it looks increasingly likely that I'll be heading back to New Haven in the Fall for another year. It was fun chatting with you all for the past six months - best of luck to all! 

Finally heard back from Oxford. Rejected as I suspected. In the trash my thesis goes. Hopefully next years iteration will be more successful!

Tough luck, mate. I know quite a few top candidates that were rejected. At the same time, the DPhil in Theology is almost never funded, and would have cost around 100,000 with living over three years. Although the US PhD is longer, you are given much better funding.

Tough luck, mate. I know quite a few top candidates that were rejected. At the same time, the DPhil in Theology is almost never funded, and would have cost around 100,000 with living over three years. Although the US PhD is longer, you are given much better funding.

Thanks. That does ease the pain. Thankfully, I'll be able to take the GRE this next application season, so I'll be joining everyone else in applying to American schools. I still am not that confident in my credentials, especially to TT schools. since my GPA isn't really competitive (hence the applications to UK schools based more on a thesis). Hopefully two completed degrees will help this next round of apps. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...