PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Harvard NELC has made their decisions a few days ago. Offers (hard copy) have been mailed to the admitted students. 

At least one Hebrew Bible student (an international student from Asia).

Hard copies come before online notification?

They were apparently notified via email. Last year what happened in my own case was that I got the email on Monday and the hard copy on Wednesday. This friend of mine who told me about this has not seen the copy yet (the situation is a bit complicated since he's currently not living at the same address due to emergency), but Prof. M has written to him about everything (including the fact that hard copies have been mailed). 

With regard to online notifications for everyone (admitted and otherwise), this is going to take another week or more. 

U.Va basically said what another poster here had already said. There is still hope, but they can only offer a few spots due to funding and are waiting to hear back from those who they've made offers to. The coordinator said "the wait list is very limited." I think this means that they don't put many people on it at a time? I haven't been wait-listed but she's telling me to have hope, so that's where I'm getting my interpretation from. She also said she'll be marking rejections on the website around the end of March.

**And also asked that if I choose to accept elsewhere or withdraw my application, to mark it on the application website. For those who have already decided to accept offers at other schools regardless of what their response is from Virginia (if they haven't heard from them yet), it might be helpful you indicated that on the application so the list of those awaiting responses will shrink and those of us who are still waiting might hear a bit quicker. Just a thought!  

Edited by theogeek

I removed myself from the waitlist several week ago, if that helps. Also, I know one of the admitted, but he/she will be turning down the offer (no idea if he/she has done so yet).

Looks like Marquette is finally releasing admission offers.  I got an email from their DGS offering admission and saying that funding was pending (meaning they offered to other people and if they turn them down, then I have a chance).

Looks like Marquette is finally releasing admission offers.  I got an email from their DGS offering admission and saying that funding was pending (meaning they offered to other people and if they turn them down, then I have a chance).

Congrats.  Got a similar email a couple hours ago.  Like my other acceptance, I will have to wait and see if funding indeed arrives.  

Why is everyone's funding pending at Marquette?  Has anyone found out that they have been offered funding there?  Since I haven't heard, I suppose I should presume I was rejected eh?

Why is everyone's funding pending at Marquette?  Has anyone found out that they have been offered funding there?  Since I haven't heard, I suppose I should presume I was rejected eh?

Marquette seems to have a big problem with funding. On the results page, all but one admitted student comment that there is no funding for them yet. Does anyone know how many funded spots they offer?

Marquette seems to have a big problem with funding. On the results page, all but one admitted student comment that there is no funding for them yet. Does anyone know how many funded spots they offer?

They have 4 spots with full funding.

It seems hard to think that all 4 offers of funding will be accepted, as I know 2 people who have been offered funding from Marquette who I think will accept elsewhere.

waitlisted at harvard; they say it's a "shortlist;" is there anything to do at this point???

Quite an accomplishment in itself. At the same time, one of my friends was waitlisted there last year and just couldn't get a spot. Hopefully someone chooses to go elsewhere.