PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about scholarships at Candler (Emory's divinity school)? I'm accepted into their ThM program, as of today, but have no idea yet what the financial aid package will be. Wondering how long the odds are for me to get a full-tuition reimbursement. 

Thanks!

No, probably because of your eliding "der" and the first part of "ewige" into "derew."  Though compressed into a single word, that particular user's name is der ewige Student [th' eternal student/scholar].

Ah! Makes sense. Knew I should have taken German instead of French. I initially thought he was alluding to a refined German sense of grammatical correctness. Actually, this came to mind: 

Heard from University of Toronto (Dept. for Study of Religion) this a.m. Was offered admission to the MA program rather than the PhD as my proposed project was considered "too theological" for their program and they want to allow me to immerse myself in religious studies methodologies, etc. No guarantee of admission to PhD program after but was told internal applicants have a high rate of success in their applications to the PhD. No funding offered for the MA. 

I probably would have had better luck at TST but there were a lot of different factors going into my decision to apply to UofT instead and I probably weighed some pragmatic/financial factors more heavily than I should have. Lesson learned. I felt like I was selling out in trying to downplay my theological interests anyway and so probably wasn't a fantastic fit. Fortunately, I have some options that are more fitting.

Appreciated the personal and tailored nature of the email though and the GDS' desire to chat by phone/Skype to discuss the opportunity. 

In other news, received a personal email from POI at PTS asking me to be patient about being on the waiting list and thinks there is a good chance of being admitted off of it, so ... fingers crossed for that one!

Just got rejected from Michigan Ann Arbor Near Eastern Studies.  Email claims they accepted 4 out of 69 applicants.  Can't speak for any waitlist.  Thank the Lord I have an acceptance already.  This one hurts.   

LOL, one of the rejection posts in results has most hilarious comment

Edited by awells27

Just got rejected from Michigan Ann Arbor Near Eastern Studies.  Email claims they accepted 4 out of 69 applicants.  Can't speak for any waitlist.  Thank the Lord I have an acceptance already.  This one hurts.   

Not sure how the programs match up, but having lived in California my whole life, I can tell you that the weather at UCLA will be unmatched elsewhere. Far better than living in the cold of Michigan!

Can't find rankings on Near Eastern Studies depts, but given UCLA acceptance was in History dept., due to POI, its a top ten school with top tier weather.  Time to move on.  

This hurts the German part of my brain....  :)

Haha!

I have several great options, and still waiting on a couple others. I'd prefer to not say until all is said and done, though!

Being patient while on the waiting list is tough! Feel like emailing my POI at Emory constantly to remind her of my continuing interest in the program.

I feel the same way! My euphoria when I was waitlisted at my dream school in mid-January is now turning into constant agitation and inability to focus. I find myself checking my email 10-15 times a day and getting annoyed by weekends because I know I won't hear any updates until Monday at the earliest. I'm sure my family thinks I'm a lot of fun to be around right now. :)

Ouch. Glad you're in at UCLA...should be a great program. 

Yeah, I was told yesterday by Harvard CSR that I was "quite high" on their list, but that they couldn't admit me because they only had 7 spots for 156 applicants. 

While I really do want to accept my offer to Wycliffe/TST, I still haven't heard from five other schools and want to be a little more informed. The issue I'm wondering about is if I receive an offer to another school that offers me more money, am I better off accepting an offer for more money at a school with less resources, or taking less money and being at a school with more resources? 

I guess this is all hypothetical, because I might not get any more offers, but I can't help thinking about it.

While I really do want to accept my offer to Wycliffe/TST, I still haven't heard from five other schools and want to be a little more informed. The issue I'm wondering about is if I receive an offer to another school that offers me more money, am I better off accepting an offer for more money at a school with less resources, or taking less money and being at a school with more resources? 

I guess this is all hypothetical, because I might not get any more offers, but I can't help thinking about it.

I'm not sure, the final decision is of course up to you. However, some info that might be helpful ... I see you're from Tennessee and I'm not sure how much you know about Toronto, perhaps you've done your research already. As someone who has lived near Toronto all my life and with many friends that currently live there, I'll give you a heads up that it is a very expensive city to live in. So, on top of funding considerations, you might want to take into account how expensive it is to live in the various cities in which you might be studying. www.numbeo.com is pretty good for doing comparisons of cost of living. Hope this is helpful :)  

I'm not sure, the final decision is of course up to you. However, some info that might be helpful ... I see you're from Tennessee and I'm not sure how much you know about Toronto, perhaps you've done your research already. As someone who has lived near Toronto all my life and with many friends that currently live there, I'll give you a heads up that it is a very expensive city to live in. So, on top of funding considerations, you might want to take into account how expensive it is to live in the various cities in which you might be studying. www.numbeo.com is pretty good for doing comparisons of cost of living. Hope this is helpful :)

I haven't always lived in Tennessee (I'm a Pennsylvania native), but I know for sure it will cost a lot more to live in Toronto than here. My wife is an occupational therapist, so we are looking into what she can do to be certified up there. I'm also hoping to get part time work. I guess TST used to have a six month waiting period for students to start working but that's no longer an issue. From what I was just told by Wycliffe I can work a max of 20 hours, which isn't a ton, but I wouldn't want to work too much while in a program. I do want to actually graduate.

That site is helpful. Thanks.

Are any other offers being made by DRTS at BU? While I admit I don't have a great chance of being admitted there, it is the final potential program I have yet to hear from. Still holding out hope for Emory! I feel that Harvard and Columbia are being very snobbish in refusing to release results that have long been made. Release them! Then maybe people on waitlists can start being admitted. Sorry for the rant... 

Edited by therealhogwarts