PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Can I play? I think I've decided not to apply this fall, but I'm starting extra-early to put stuff together for an application the following year, and I'll be going through all the steps in anticipation of 2014. Plus, there's still a possibility that I will get stuff sorted out and do it after all...

Why am I waiting, you might ask? Because my languages are insufficient and I could use a couple of more current references. I'm doing a couple of courses this year, but I also have a job and family commitments, so it seems sensible to do this slowly and do it right.

Where applying? Duke (Div School ThD, Religion PhD), UNC-CH (Religion PhD)

Subfield: Early Christianity/ Historical Theology/ Church History (the emphasis is the same in all areas; sub field varies depending on how the institution likes to name stuff).

JDM, how 'bout you?

Are you in NC currently?

my tentative list: Duke (PhD), Toronto (NMC, Religion), Harvard (NELC, Religion), Yale (NELC, Religion), ND (Theology), Wisconsin (Semitics), Marquette (Theology), GTU/Berkeley. Some others that I will likely apply.

Applying broadly in HB, but with folks who work with LXX and DSS (some overlap with NT, patristics, classics).

Applying:

Yale (Ancient Christianity),

Princeton (CJA),

Harvard (CJA),

Duke (NT),

UNC (Qumran/NT),

FSU (RWA),

UT Austin (RWA),

Emory (NT),

Baylor (NT).

With a relatively weak possibility of an application to UVirginia (NT/Second Temple). Maybe Vanderbilt MA (Classics).

Almost applied to ND, Brown, UChicago.

And can I bust out some non-PhD-applicant-appropriate language and say that it is "lame-sauce" that all the California schools have stopped doing Ancient Christianity/Biblical Studies.

Edited by MBIGrad

Are you in NC currently?

my tentative list: Duke (PhD), Toronto (NMC, Religion), Harvard (NELC, Religion), Yale (NELC, Religion), ND (Theology), Wisconsin (Semitics), Marquette (Theology), GTU/Berkeley. Some others that I will likely apply.

Applying broadly in HB, but with folks who work with LXX and DSS (some overlap with NT, patristics, classics).

You'll only be able to apply to one department within GSAS at Yale, unlike Harvard. So, you'll need to decide between applying to NELC (for Assyriology?) or Religious Studies (HB or Ancient Judaism probably). Obviously Troxel at Wisconsin would provide a good fit, and Hutton is going to be big time. Who would you work with at Berkeley/GTU or Harvard for LXX/DSS? Also, have you considered Brown? Between Olyan and a prodigious NT/Early Christianity/Classics faculty, you might be well served there. And, what is the state of HB at Duke presently? I've heard the Meyers are retiring. Do you work with Davis?

Best of luck!

You'll only be able to apply to one department within GSAS at Yale, unlike Harvard. So, you'll need to decide between applying to NELC (for Assyriology?) or Religious Studies (HB or Ancient Judaism probably). Obviously Troxel at Wisconsin would provide a good fit, and Hutton is going to be big time. Who would you work with at Berkeley/GTU or Harvard for LXX/DSS? Also, have you considered Brown? Between Olyan and a prodigious NT/Early Christianity/Classics faculty, you might be well served there. And, what is the state of HB at Duke presently? I've heard the Meyers are retiring. Do you work with Davis?

Best of luck!

Sent you a PM!

Boston University
Rice

SMU

UChicago
Boston College

UVA

Focusing on the intersection between Islamic mysticism and politics during the 13th-15th centuries (haven't nailed down the specificities yet for my proposal).  I currently go to UChicago Divinity so if anyone has general questions do let me know.

seroteamavi,

I am a current Ph.D. student in early Christianity at Boston College.  Regarding your question, the answer is no; you do not apply through the STM but through the theology department.  PM me if you have any questions.

After about a year of lurking, I finally decided to join the Cafe. Feels like a minor accomplishment! I'm finishing a Th.M this year (May 2014 completion), but I hope to begin applying this semester for Ph.D. programs. My focus in on NT, particularly the gospel of Luke. Any advice will be appreciated! (I'm dreading the GRE)

I'll be applying (budget allowing) to all of these schools. First choices: St. Andrew's (Wright, Hafemann, etc), Cambridge (Gathercole), Emory (Johnson, Holladay). Second Choices: Boston College, Boston U, Princeton.

Vanderbilt was one of my first choices, but they are not accepting NT Ph.D. applications. Bummer.

After about a year of lurking, I finally decided to join the Cafe. Feels like a minor accomplishment! I'm finishing a Th.M this year (May 2014 completion), but I hope to begin applying this semester for Ph.D. programs. My focus in on NT, particularly the gospel of Luke. Any advice will be appreciated! (I'm dreading the GRE)

I'll be applying (budget allowing) to all of these schools. First choices: St. Andrew's (Wright, Hafemann, etc), Cambridge (Gathercole), Emory (Johnson, Holladay). Second Choices: Boston College, Boston U, Princeton.

Vanderbilt was one of my first choices, but they are not accepting NT Ph.D. applications. Bummer.

The UK schools don't give a rip about the GRE so that is nice, but getting funding is very difficult for Americans. Even if you get to work with NTW at St. Andrew's, it'll cost you. You might be better off at a second choice with little or no debt vs. going what 100K in debt (no idea really)? In light of that, I'd consider applying to a few more US programs. 

The UK schools don't give a rip about the GRE so that is nice, but getting funding is very difficult for Americans. Even if you get to work with NTW at St. Andrew's, it'll cost you. You might be better off at a second choice with little or no debt vs. going what 100K in debt (no idea really)? In light of that, I'd consider applying to a few more US programs. 

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I'd much rather do a 3 year program vs. a 5 year program, but I definitely don't want $100K+ of debt on top of my already impressive amount of debt. I'm polishing up my proposals for the UK programs, but after that I'll hit the GRE books.

Thanks for this. What tier would you consider SMCU?

Lower, but only because it is a new program at a small school. Keith is a mover and a shaker, though, and very respected and well-connected in the field; you would be rubbing shoulders with some big-name European scholars. 

I'd say BP is right on target. 

University of Helsinki has a funded PhD position as well. People there study GThomas and socio-cognitive approaches. 2,400 pounds a month. Big faculty. Finnish is a cool language, too (program is English). 

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I'd much rather do a 3 year program vs. a 5 year program, but I definitely don't want $100K+ of debt on top of my already impressive amount of debt. I'm polishing up my proposals for the UK programs, but after that I'll hit the GRE books.

Frankly, it's easy to be accepted to most UK programs.  Aside from poor or no funding, the other drawback is competing for jobs.  I realize a 3 year program can be more appealing than the usual 5 to 8 (or more!) year top-tier American programs.  But unless you somehow have a secure teaching job lined up post-graduation, it'll be incredibly tough to convince most American schools that a 3 year (research only) UK degree is more attractive than graduates from top and 2nd tier American programs.  Also, unless you're independently wealthy, it's a horrible financial choice to take on significant debt for any PhD in religion/theology.  My advice: only go where your full tuition is covered and you're paid a competitive stipend for at least 5 years.