PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Gosh, I wish I had waited until December to finish my applications. Stupidly (I am completely serious), I turned all my applications in at the end of September and the beginning of October, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could go back and:

change+all+the+things.gif

Nothing to be done now, save for prayers to the good Quetzalcoatl for patience.

Gosh, I wish I had waited until December to finish my applications. Stupidly (I am completely serious), I turned all my applications in at the end of September and the beginning of October, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could go back and:

change+all+the+things.gif

Nothing to be done now, save for prayers to the good Quetzalcoatl for patience.

Haha damns. Why did you do that??  :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YES!!!!!!!!!

**EDIT** I think I had that dream because I watched two episodes of Sherlock before falling asleep, hahaha.

Edited by MsBOOM

I figured it's about time I jump in here. I went to Johnson University for undergrad and Emmanuel Christian Seminary for my M.Div. I've also taken some supplemental philosophy courses at ETSU and King University. My GRE is 160 V 5 A. I'm primarily applying to Theology programs, but there are some varieties of emphases depending on the school. I mention the area only when it's not (Systematic) Theology.

University of Dayton

Duquesne University

Wycliffe College (Toronto School of Theology)

St Louis University - Historical Theology (Modern)

Calvin Theological Seminary

Fuller Theological Seminary - Philosophical Theology

Union Presbyterian Seminary - Historical and Theological Studies

University of Tennessee - Philosophy

University of Kentucky - Philosophy

Here's hoping there are places for each of us!

Nice! Anywhere else? What's your field?

I'm interested in historical theology.

I have submitted 13 applications so far. I am working on 1 more and thinking about a few other programs with January deadlines. Now I need my tax return to pay off my credit card full of app fees.

Harvard (religious studies)
Harvard Divinity School
Vanderbilt - history department
Vanderbilt - religion department
Duke Divinity School
Princeton Theological Seminary
Yale Grad arts and sciences (American Studies)
Columbia (religious studies)
University of Chicago Divinity School
uPenn (history)
ASU (religious studies)
Baylor (history)

So, when the application asks you where else you are applying to, do you give them a full list? Why do they want to know that?

Wow. Do all schools actually ask this? I didn't realize this. (Not applying until next year)

No, all schools don't ask this. If I am remembering correctly, of the three apps I recently completed (Princeton Seminary, Vanderbilt, and Baylor) only Vanderbilt asked, and they only gave 5 spots for you to answer (just pick the 5 you want them to know about I guess...) I don't see why I would not answer honestly, in less all of my other app's were for extremely different programs. Even then, I don't think this gets weighed much against everything else.

You don't have to put anything down. Though, I am honest with them. From what I was told this gives them a good indication of their competition if they make you an offer. Most folks know one another in their subfield, so it helps speed the process along. It will not hurt your chances, as far as I'm concerned. 

You don't have to put anything down. Though, I am honest with them. From what I was told this gives them a good indication of their competition if they make you an offer. Most folks know one another in their subfield, so it helps speed the process along. It will not hurt your chances, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I was just wondering about what the downside would be to listing the other schools - because it is not evident to me. Perhaps others could clarify? If anything, might it make an applicant slightly more competitive?

Yeah, I was just wondering about what the downside would be to listing the other schools - because it is not evident to me. Perhaps others could clarify? If anything, might it make an applicant slightly more competitive?

I was wondering if they used the information to see if your interests were well defined or if you were all over the place and/or to see if they can determine if they are a top choice for you or maybe a safety school. But I really have no idea. I was just trying to think of why they needed to know.

My answer changed through the app season because I didn't start out with the same list of schools to apply to that I finished with...

furtivemode is right. It's really only used to know what competition a program has if an offer is made. It really has no bearing on whether or not an offer is made.

That's what I anticipated as well. I'm applying to 18 programs and almost all the major ones have asked this question...

I'm coming late to this, but it's never too late to procrastinate more...

PhD Programs I'm applying to are:

Notre Dame (Philosophy)

Cornell (Philosophy)

Princeton (Philosophy of Religion)

Duke (Christian Theological Studies)

Virginia (TEC)

Yale (Philosophical Theology)

Purdue (Philosophy)

St. Louis (Philosophy)

Rutgers (Philosophy)

I'm coming out of undergrad, so a lot of the theology/religion programs I'm looking at are masters programs. Unlike in Theology, in Philosophy the "norm" is to go straight into a PhD program (with the exception of Oxford...)

Edited by axiomness

axiomness, have you seen this thread on the philosophy forum? 

Apparently, CU has decided to not accept applicants for the PhD in philosophy for next year.

Yes, actually I made this account name so I could respond to that thread, because I had someone from Boulder get back to me. I suppose I should accept reality and forget about it entirely. (edits made). Thanks

So, PTS requires a background check and that took a couple extra days to come in for me. Does anyone know how badly this will affect my application there? Is there a general expectation of some trickle in, or is this bad news bears? I submitted everything supplemental well in advance.

Edited by Kleets712