PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

I wish all applicants had to be a part of this forum, so we'd know if lots of other people have received news about interviews, etc., and aren't part of this forum. Either that or some way to know how "representative" the members here are, as a sample!  

I know that Harvard doesn't, MBIGrad

Now, does anyone know what the deal is with Emory? Staggered process it looks like, but also a smattering of physical and Skype interviews? I'm fighting the urge to call the dept. and just ask if all interview invites have been extended.

I've never been more anxious about something in my life. 

Here's my list:

Boston University, Drew University, Duke University, Emory University, Harvard University, Loyola University, Princeton Theological Seminary, Syracuse University, University of Chicago (Classics), University of Chicago (Div School), University of Minnesota (Classics), University of Notre Dame, University of Virginia, Yale University.

Has anyone found themselves habitually, maybe even obsessively, checking the results search? 

some advice for the harvard applicants: harvard does not 'officially' interview. However, if you just happen to be in town over the next few weeks, mention it to a few POI's and go to their office hours; it's like a back-door interview, and it works pretty darn well. 

therealhogwarts thanks. I may give them one or two more days this week before I email in, but it's definitely worth asking.

Kleetz712 I spoke with Dr. Scheib, Chair of PCRL, on Tuesday 1/14/14 and she informed that the process was ongoing. Hopefully that means they didnt send out invites between 1/15-1/17...

PCRL went out, too.  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I thought I could spare you an awkward email. Travel plans had to be made by last Friday, so I would guess all invites have been sent. I have no clue how many were asked...

Cecilia22, do you know if Theological Studies and Ethics and Society invites have been sent out for Emory too? I wasn't sure if you meant "all" as in all PCRL or all GDR interviews. It wouldn't be great news if they all have been, but I wouldn't be heartbroken either. 

Thanks for that info, I've been wondering about Baylor as well.  Any idea when the interview invites might go out?

I have no direct knowledge, but if the past is any indication then invites should be out any day now. Again, I have not been told anything directly by my Profs, so that is just a guess. (Sorry to be repetitive and emphatic, but I remember waiting and I don't want to contribute to anyone's anxiety.) 

Confirmed with GDR @ Emory that ALL invites have gone out. I was waitlisted last year. Thinking about seeking an interview more aggressively this time around. Anybody have any thoughts on calling the chair of a dept to make my case? 

I don't think this will go over well at all. I think it would be very difficult to convince a department head that they had made a mistake in not offering you an interview without seeming a) pompous and b ) out of touch with the realities of the admissions process, which already offers interviews to candidates that are less than perfect fits for the department, just in case. If this is your second year applying to the same department, you have given it your best shot, and it is unlikely that they are going to change their mind by taking a third look at your packet.

Edited by diazalon