PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

How does one typically adapt their application package when applying to a program the year following a rejection from said program? Is it expected that personal statements, letters of recommendation, etc. be completely overhauled (perhaps even entirely different references)? Or would the same documents be able to be considered afresh in the context of the new applicant pool?

I rewrote mine. I'll see if it pays off at all. You'll see, though: If you don't get in somewhere, a year later you will likely have second thoughts about resubmitting the same ideas exactly. To answer your question, as I understand it, your materials would be considered afresh because it's unlikely that the faculty would remember the essay or even that the same faculty would be reviewing the application (as some schools rotate responsibilities from year to year).

Edited by seroteamavi

I assume that many doctoral applicants are last semester Master's students. How is the application tension affecting your last semester? Motivated to write your thesis? Less so? Already done?

My strategy has been to audit so many Greek/Latin courses along with my thesis and graduate courses that I don't really have time to hypothesize potential results. But then again, I have time to write on this forum...

I found it easier to get back into my Master's stuff once the applications were submitted because I could focus more on my thesis. However, since then, the tension of waiting has grown to be a little bit distracting. But I am also "over" my Master's... it has dragged a bit and I am ready for a change of scenery as I've been at my current school too long for my liking. Getting out of here is a motivation in and of itself right now. 

If a school "has made a decision" but the grad assistant will not tell over the phone, that probably means "no", right?

I strongly suspect that it is policy, so that the same channels are used to communicate decisions to everyone. I wouldn't think it necessarily means no or yes. 

For the schools to which I am applying, the normal dates for applicants to hear back last year fell between Jan 31 and March 16, mostly falling around Feb 19-22. I imagine that everyone thinks that in his/her application year it's much later than usual. Look at the results posted on this site last year from the programs to which you're applying. 

When I log in to Fordham's VIP page, my entire application is missing. I happened to have checked it yesterday and everything was in order. I'm not sure what your issue may be, but I'm presuming that the system changes have little to nothing to do with admittance/rejection.

When I log in to Fordham's VIP page, my entire application is missing. I happened to have checked it yesterday and everything was in order. I'm not sure what your issue may be, but I'm presuming that the system changes have little to nothing to do with admittance/rejection.

Thanks for bringing back the hope, no matter how short-lived it may be hahaha!

My recommenders are all missing from the Fordham VIP page as well, but everything else is there.  I'm assuming there is not deeper meaning.

Matches Malone- how did you hear that two got into Fordham Theology?

My recommenders are all missing from the Fordham VIP page as well, but everything else is there.  I'm assuming there is not deeper meaning.

Matches Malone- how did you hear that two got into Fordham Theology?

I searched Fordham theology in the results forum and they came up