PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

I don't think this will go over well at all. I think it would be very difficult to convince a department head that they had made a mistake in not offering you an interview without seeming a) pompous and b ) out of touch with the realities of the admissions process, which already offers interviews to candidates that are less than perfect fits for the department, just in case. If this is your second year applying to the same department, you have given it your best shot, and it is unlikely that they are going to change their mind by taking a third look at your packet.

On the other hand, what do you have to lose if you approach them gracefully (and assuming this is your last attempt at applying to Emory)?

Duly noted. My emotions almost got the best if me.

I'm going to take one more shot though. I was wait listed last year but recommended for admission by all of the departments professors. This was due to a poor GRE score attached to a "very strong" app. I couldn't afford to retake the GRE this season. But I certainly will this year to reapply for 2015.

Confirmed with GDR @ Emory that ALL invites have gone out. I was waitlisted last year. Thinking about seeking an interview more aggressively this time around. Anybody have any thoughts on calling the chair of a dept to make my case? 

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate the info. Re: making your case to the dept. chair - I also think it depends if you will be applying again. If so, then I wouldn't bother making your case and I'd spend the year trying to make connections with profs, current students, establish what they're looking for, develop your knowledge of your intended project, read their profs' publications, etc. If you aren't going to be applying again.... I'd also say you don't have much to lose, although with diazalon, I think it might possibly not go over very well. 

Maybe I'm being a little too hopeful but I know the website says that being invited to the recruitment weekend does not guarantee a spot and that not being invited doesn't mean you are rejected. I know chances are that the vast majority, if not all, of the students finally admitted will have had an interview but maybe there is a smidgen of a chance that more may be accepted. It's not one of my top choices but I did apply there. 

Duly noted. My emotions almost got the best if me.

I'm going to take one more shot though. I was wait listed last year but recommended for admission by all of the departments professors. This was due to a poor GRE score attached to a "very strong" app. I couldn't afford to retake the GRE this season. But I certainly will this year to reapply for 2015.

Are you only applying to one program? 

I was writing my previous post as you made your post about GRE scores, etc. In that case, I think you have a hell of a shot next year if you can retake the GREs! It seems you've already done the hard work making yourself known and standing out with faculty members. :) :)

Thanks for the feedback. And thanks for the much needed encouragement theogeek.

Diazalon, I did apply only to one program. Knowing it wasn't the "smartest" decision. I did so so that I wouldn't have to uproot my family to pursue my dreams alone. Also my POI and other Emory incentives made it a much better fit overall.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until April 15, but still make a better effort to make even more of a personal connection to the program as I already live in Atlanta.

Based on an e-mail I just read Baylor is also e-mailing those waitlisted (myself included) and those who are not going to be further considered at all. This was in the sub-field of theological studies if that helps.

Based on an e-mail I just read Baylor is also e-mailing those waitlisted (myself included) and those who are not going to be further considered at all. This was in the sub-field of theological studies if that helps.

Thanks for the response.  I received a wait list email as well.

So, if this is the case--that interviewees, the waitlisted, and those that will not be further considered at all are being emailed--and I haven't received an email, what does that mean? Is there another category of applicant? Or perhaps, the "those not being further considered" emails are going out later than the interviewees and the waitlisted?

So, if this is the case--that interviewees, the waitlisted, and those that will not be further considered at all are being emailed--and I haven't received an email, what does that mean? Is there another category of applicant? Or perhaps, the "those not being further considered" emails are going out later than the interviewees and the waitlisted?

"We have begun the process of notifying some applicants that we cannot accept them into the program..." - from the aforementioned e-mail. Or they could just be sending out "you've been waitlisted" e-mails slowly as well but who knows.

Anyone else apply to Fordham for Theology?

Yes I applied, hoping to work in systematics with Dr. Viladesau

Been following this forum for a while, so I figured it was time to join/share:

I've applied to: Fordham, Marquette, Notre Dame, Duke Divinity and Emory for Systematic Theology or Theological Studies, depending on the particularities of the school.

No word from Emory yet, which I'm taking as a bad omen.

Anxiously awaiting the Notre Dame interview weekend invites which should be coming out soon.

As of yesterday ND hadn't looked at the apps, but my invite to interview was dated the 25th last year, so it will probably be a notification on Monday (27th).

Any idea what the interview process is at ND for overseas applicants?

11Q13: I'd be very interested in knowing where your applications are going to fall this year.

Notre Dame, and Notre Dame. 

I considered giving Harvard a go again, but I think Notre Dame is my ideal program all around (except for the location of course). I was a student untimely born, had it been 20 years ago, with Stendahl, Koester, and Levenson, Harvard would have been a dream. Sooo, yeah, all my eggs in one basket. We'll see if that was a bad move. 

Any idea what the interview process is at ND for overseas applicants?

There were a couple international people there last year (Germany and UK)... they might have had to pay out of pocket the amount over Notre Dame's budget for the tickets, which was either 4 or 500 IIRC, but perhaps not. That's a very fair question to ask, so I wouldn't hesitate to email/call them to ask if you are invited to interview.  Beyond that, I can't really say. I know there were a couple others that interviewed earlier, and perhaps they would let you Skype interview if you couldn't afford it? Though perhaps not since you are literally shuffled from faculty office to office 6 or so times...

The Notre Dame adcomm met today, btw.

Edited by 11Q13

11Q13: Yes, I don't any of us would withhold our right arm for an opportunity to study under that trio, although Nasrallah, King, Schussler-Fiorenza make a solid team for my money. I hope South Bend is enjoyable.

11Q13: Yes, I don't any of us would withhold our right arm for an opportunity to study under that trio, although Nasrallah, King, Schussler-Fiorenza make a solid team for my money. I hope South Bend is enjoyable.

A solid team, yes, but talk about a different dynamic, for better or worse, the're a huge discontinuity IMHO.

Oh, Bovon was also there at that time, and I think Cohen had just been hired on. Anyway, in terms of doing Second Temple Judaism at the same time as NT+EC, can't beat Notre Dame, hope I land a spot first ;)

Edited by 11Q13

So, after browsing PTS's results page, I'm not convinced that interviews are an institutional thing. It seems more likely that a professor emailed and asked if they could talk further via Skype (all acceptance/rejection/wait list besides that interview invite) 

Maybe I'm horribly wrong - anyone got input on this?