PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Have you checked out St. Andrews? They offer a PhD in Theology, Imagination, and the Arts (link). Sounds like it's right up your alley.

Yeah that program looks pretty exciting. I'm pretty set on staying in the states though for funding reasons.

Hey ya'll,

Just wondering about a particular question that I had. Have you found that you're able to submit applications without having all your professors submit their letters electronically? I really want to submit my apps to doctoral programs, and I don't want to wait for my letter writers. Anyone know whether that's possible, or a 50/50 split, or not usually?

I'm just trying to figure out strategy. 

Thanks!

Also, I should probably post this:

I'm interested in the tools of congregational studies/practical theology for researching how communities of faith initiate and sustain social activism. The plus is that means that I can apply to a wide variety of places - practical theology, ethics and society, even some church history stuff and religious studies.

BU School of Theology (PhD Practical Theology)
UVA Religious Studies (PhD Religious Studies)
Vanderbilt Divinity School (PhD Religion - Ethics and Society)
Harvard Divinity School (ThD)
Princeton Theological Seminary (PhD - Practical Theology)
Emory GDR (PhD Religion)
Duke Divinity School (ThD)
GTU (PhD)
Toronto School of Theology (ThD)

Hey ya'll,

Just wondering about a particular question that I had. Have you found that you're able to submit applications without having all your professors submit their letters electronically? I really want to submit my apps to doctoral programs, and I don't want to wait for my letter writers. Anyone know whether that's possible, or a 50/50 split, or not usually?

I'm just trying to figure out strategy. 

Thanks!

Some application systems require electronically submitted letters without exception. Others will allow either. Either the program website or the application itself will indicate which methods are allowed.

Some application systems require electronically submitted letters without exception. Others will allow either. Either the program website or the application itself will indicate which methods are allowed.

And some places require hard copies of the letters, no electronic submissions accepted.

In general, you should be able to submit your part and have the school wait for the things from others -that's how they get the GRE scores and the transcripts. It's always good to check on how complete your file is as things don't always get there as quickly as you might hope.

Just curious: which of the schools you are applying to require it all at once, and which allow it to be done separately? (Many of the ones to which you are applying are the ones to which I will eventually apply - next year, for OT/HB).

Edited by newenglandshawn

I am meeting with a prospective PhD adviser tomorrow at Georgetown, and I think I'm going to ask him how much it matters. I guess what he says is going to determine whether I'm going to take it again or not. Thank you for the advice though!

I doubled my verbal score with practice from Magoosh: http://gre.magoosh.com

I found this site to be far better than the expensive classes like Kaplan.  Magoosh does a great job at explaining / deconstructing every single type of question on the GRE.  I only focused on verbal though.      

I doubled my verbal score with practice from Magoosh: http://gre.magoosh.com

I found this site to be far better than the expensive classes like Kaplan.  Magoosh does a great job at explaining / deconstructing every single type of question on the GRE.  I only focused on verbal though.      

Thank you for that! I've decided to forgo retaking the GRE this year, but if I don't get into my dream program, it's something I'm definitely going to have to look into.

Thanks again :)

While I may be the only poster here applying to the UK schools, I thought I'd give a heads up as to where I am in the process.

- Met with potential adviser. He liked my proposal, gave me a few pointers and items to read, and encouraged me to apply. He said that it sound good, but it really depends on how many applicants they have per year and the quality of their applications. He encouraged me to apply to surrounding schools in case there is not room at the program, but we had a great conversation overall.

Essentially, my proposal initially was too narrow from my current prof's view point, so I broaden it. My potential adviser then told me it was too broad and to narrow it. Just goes to show that you should really shape your proposals to the potential adviser/s.

Red, where are you looking? And how are you dealing with funding?

St. Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh in that order. I'm hoping that I can get funding, but if not I will most likely take out loans. I am in the unique position where a UK degree, funding or not, will be preferable to a US degree. I wouldn't recommend people following my lead, but that is essentially my story.

Time commitment, the desire to study abroad, and the strength of the programs/libraries are three reasons, but the main one involves my fiance getting a PhD as well. With some UK schools, you only need to appear two or three times a year (e.g., London School of Theology). If both of us are accepted, this would allows us to live essentially wherever the other gets accepted (or is cheapest) and travel by train to the other school when necessary.

As a bit of an nota bene, I don't necessarily want to teach at the graduate level or at a state university. I'd rather work at a small, religious college (interdenominational if possible) at least to begin my career. A UK school will be sufficient to get one of those posts (as compared to a large state university for example). I do want to be open to the possibility of teaching at the graduate level, so I did pursue the UK TT instead of the 2nd or 3rd tier US schools or even TT US seminaries per my professor's advice. I do also plan on being productive during my PhD (I'm sure someone's laughing at my naivete right now) and afterwards so that I can build my resume and pick up some things missed by a UK PhD instead of a US PhD. I hope that makes sense!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The professor I was interested in studying under at Durham is leaving for another university and the head professor told me he doesn't have any spaces available. After consulting with my seminary professor, I'm expanding my applications to Oxford (Bockmuehl) and Cambridge (Gathercole). St. Andrews application is in the books; Edinburgh application is ongoing (deadline is Jan 15) due to a conversation with the potential professor concerning my proposal.

Hope everyone else's process is stressfree! Being a full time student, part time worker, and writing SOP, proposals, writing samples, etc. is not my favorite activity. I'll be happy when it's over--at least I think I will. :/

My application process is definitely "stress free." I'm not sure what it is that everyone's been complaining about. Condensing your entire career into a lucid, compelling, and attractive two page document? Child's play. Finishing a 20-30 page writing sample that is perfect in every way? No big deal. This process is cake! I haven't been stressed in, I'd say, at least five or ten minutes.

My application process is definitely "stress free." I'm not sure what it is that everyone's been complaining about. Condensing your entire career into a lucid, compelling, and attractive two page document? Child's play. Finishing a 20-30 page writing sample that is perfect in every way? No big deal. This process is cake! I haven't been stressed in, I'd say, at least five or ten minutes.

Lol!