PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

UNC-CH notifies very early.  I remember in my year, my phone rang in the first week of January, my wife picked it up and told me that Bart Ehrman was on the phone. 

That's a really cool story, and not in a "cool story, bro" kind of way.

It seems like most places will be notifying in mid-February, which makes UNC almost a month earlier than everyone else. Good for them!

I'm the Emory Hebrew Bible post...in the email, it said that not all interview weekends start on 1/30 like the Hebrew Bible one does, so there might not be quite so much urgency about notifying the participants.  

I figure I should list where I applied now that I am really DONE all my apps (woo hoo)! It's a long list... Emory, Vanderbilt, Princeton Theological Seminary, Yale, Notre Dame, University of Virginia, University of Toronto, McGill University, McMaster University. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet. I am mostly in Christian theology/systematics subfields except at Notre Dame, where I'm applying to moral theology/Christian ethics.

I'm the Emory Hebrew Bible post...in the email, it said that not all interview weekends start on 1/30 like the Hebrew Bible one does, so there might not be quite so much urgency about notifying the participants.

Just curious: someone else suggested on here that professors at Emory prefer not to be contacted before applying. Did you contact professors of interest ahead of time?

I contacted the convener of my program, and he was very gracious.  He gave me a sense of my fit for the program, and told me I was welcome to contact other professors, but that it was unnecessary to.

I contacted a couple profs at Emory prior to applying. From one I got an automated message about being on sabbatical, another stated she is not currently taking research students but she was very kind and gave me the name of a professor who might be interested, and I contacted him and he responded very kindly, with no indication that it was an 'annoyance,' but who knows. 

I figure I should list where I applied now that I am really DONE all my apps (woo hoo)! It's a long list... Emory, Vanderbilt, Princeton Theological Seminary, Yale, Notre Dame, University of Virginia, University of Toronto, McGill University, McMaster University. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet. I am mostly in Christian theology/systematics subfields except at Notre Dame, where I'm applying to moral theology/Christian ethics.

Good luck! Quite nearly finished with mine as well. 10 of 11 done! I wish I were getting some sort of hourly wage for all this application work.

Does anyone have an idea of which universities interview, which do not, and in which it's a mix? I thought I had heard that Yale's faculty is now expected to interview all candidates, but I know that not every school does.

Good luck! Quite nearly finished with mine as well. 10 of 11 done! I wish I were getting some sort of hourly wage for all this application work.

Thanks, good luck to you too! I know... it is really time consuming. I feel like every school asks for something slightly different in the statement too so it's not that easy to just recycle.