PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Admitted at BU - all decisions made and calls are rolling out right now. I'm freaking out.

To be clear, you are claiming all decisions are made for the School of Theology, correct? Not the GDRS?

Practical Theology - fully funded offer from BU, which they give all their admitted students.

Yep, sorry, it's the School of the Theology's PhD - GDR comes out much later I believe. No cause for panic. 

Edited by Kleets712

UT Austin was me. Any one know what the standard stipend is, and what kind of money can be made from TAs, etc.

Last year they were offering a little bit over 14k in stipend + full tuition + health insurance. The stipend was dependent on working as a TA or RA. 

Congrats to person that got into Fordham!!! Was wondering if they might have given you information about the roll out for admissions??? Still over here waiting/hoping to hear some good news from them hahaha. Congrats again!

Hey there! I just got a call today about an acceptance from Fordham. It seems like they are staggering the acceptances somewhat, since I saw some people post last week about getting into Fordham and I had taken that as a sign that I was rejected, which was evidently false. So I don't know if they've contacted everyone yet-- sorry I don't have more information than that. If it helps, I had heard nothing from them before this (there was no interview, etc.) Wishing you luck on this and other applications!

Edited by obstinate_questionings

Good lord, these stipends are pretty bad...any idea what big names are giving? I know Duke gives 22k for the year and another 5.5k for summer. What about Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Chicago?

As someone currently in a PhD program, I can tell you that Duke is rather exceptional.  14k is pretty average, and much better than some...even some you might expect to have better financial offers...

Hey there! I just got a call today about an acceptance from Fordham. It seems like they are staggering the acceptances somewhat, since I saw some people post last week about getting into Fordham and I had taken that as a sign that I was rejected, which was evidently false. So I don't know if they've contacted everyone yet-- sorry I don't have more information than that. If it helps, I had heard nothing from them before this (there was no interview, etc.) Wishing you luck on this and other applications!

Thanks for the information and congrats again!

I was under the impression that UT was at $16k min, but I think perhaps Kuriakos goes there (?), so he'd know. Yale is around $27.5-29, Princeton around 26-28 (sub-programs can add $), Harvard around $25.5? This is just from current grad students. I think Duke's web site says $18k base, however, paralleling it to UVA, certain BU programs. I agree that the $15ish and under stipends are a bummer because they are just little enough to potentially force some outside work (on the DL?). 

rabgogh06, what is your subsubfield within RAM? Or who is your PO(most)I?

Edited by MBIGrad

I was under the impression that UT was at $16k min, but I think perhaps Kuriakos goes there (?), so he'd know. Yale is around $27.5-29, Princeton around 26-28 (sub-programs can add $), Harvard around $25.5? This is just from current grad students. I think Duke's web site says $18k base, however, paralleling it to UVA, certain BU programs. I agree that the $15ish and under stipends are a bummer because they are just little enough to potentially force some outside work (on the DL?). 

rabgogh06, what is your subsubfield within RAM? Or who is your PO(most)I?

Just for the record, I do not go to UT. That was just what I was told last year when I was waitlisted. 

Congrats to person that got into Fordham!!! Was wondering if they might have given you information about the roll out for admissions??? Still over here waiting/hoping to hear some good news from them hahaha. Congrats again!

I got a call from Fordham yesterday with an acceptance (Systematics).  They didn't say anything about the roll out of offers.  Similar to obstinate_questionings, I didn't receive any word from them prior to the acceptance call.  I assumed I didn't get in due to the results forum from last week.  I guess it goes to show that we shouldn't freak ourselves out over those results. 

In terms of stipends, most of the Catholic schools hover around $20,000, depending on cost of living in the area.  Fordham is $21,800 and Boston College is $20,000 (plus tuition and health insurance).

I got a call from Fordham yesterday with an acceptance (Systematics).  They didn't say anything about the roll out of offers.  Similar to obstinate_questionings, I didn't receive any word from them prior to the acceptance call.  I assumed I didn't get in due to the results forum from last week.  I guess it goes to show that we shouldn't freak ourselves out over those results. 

In terms of stipends, most of the Catholic schools hover around $20,000, depending on cost of living in the area.  Fordham is $21,800 and Boston College is $20,000 (plus tuition and health insurance).

Thanks for the information and congratulations! Guess I'll just keep waiting and praying to hear something good from them.