PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

Anybody hear from Georgetown yet?

I'm waiting to hear from Georgetown.

I was at an interview recently with someone who was accepted at Georgetown (fairly sure for theology).

Whaaaa??? :( oh gosh, I hope it wasn't theology! :(

So is Harvard releasing on Thursday, or just "deciding?" Also, UT's recruitment day is today, and it is from the results of those original admits that they give out later acceptances (or not), in order to avoid waitlisting people.

Confirmed Emory is "holding" my application which seems like a waitlist kinda sorta.

From what I've been told, all of those "accepted" now need a university acceptance (regarding diversity quotas and the like) and then everything will be finalized.

I just withdrew my name from the list of possible Notre Dame admits (CJA). After spending the weekend on campus I realized it wasn't the best place for me. I hope this frees up admissions for someone else in either CJA or another track!

I was just accepted to Wycliffe in Toronto. It says finances are given by the individual colleges in one of the PDFs they sent. I guess we will have to wait and see on those.

After getting rejected to every school last year and to one this year it feels so good to finally get in!!

I was just accepted to Wycliffe in Toronto. It says finances are given by the individual colleges in one of the PDFs they sent. I guess we will have to wait and see on those.

After getting rejected to every school last year and to one this year it feels so good to finally get in!!

That's awesome!

Congrats to the new admits to TST. I graduated from the PhD program this fall, under the old rules of having to graduate from St Mikes, even if you weren't registered there. I was registered at Trinity, but took classes throughout TST and had comps and thesis examiners at other colleges. Toronto is a great environment to study and live. Each college is different in terms of how it handles financial aid. Emmanuel has a $20k fellowship (or maybe more than one) that I believe is used to cover tuition, fees, and living costs. Wycliffe has at least one "fully-funded" scholarship that stays with the student for 4 or 5 years. Trinity offers a combination of fellowships and bursaries. Because of the complicated admissions process--to TST, department, and college--admissions are offered without consideration of funding.Then, the colleges make separate financial aid offers, often need-based or after a separate application. It's different from the US system because the tuition is so low, particularly for Canadians, who are encouraged to apply for federal and provincial grants. For Americans and others the fees are twice as high, so the fellowships don't go nearly as far, but sometimes the colleges are more generous as a result. I'm American and Trinity was (relatively speaking) very generous to me, always covering my tuition and fees, plus some living expenses. But nothing like some of the better-funded US grad programs. And every year was different. That was honestly the most stressful thing about the program, especially in the first couple years. However, the extraordinary environment made it well worth it, and in my day the fees dropped precipitously after the first two years. Now, they stay the same all years. I'd add, though, that the new conjoint PhD as designed is much less onerous in terms of requirements (fewer courses, comps, and languages), so completing in a timelier fashion should be far more possible.  

Hello all--I am another one waiting for news from UVA. Not even waitlisted, so I'm not holding out hope. Has anyone contacted their POI there? I am thinking about calling...

I'm in the same boat ... not accepted, not waitlisted, not (officially) rejected. I haven't contacted my POI but was also considering it. I probably will just wait it out but it looks like sometimes they wait until late March/early April to send out rejections. Let us know if you decide to call! 

Edited by theogeek

They have made official offers and notified those waitlisted, thus your chances are not great. I told them to drop me off the waitlist, and others may have done the same, so perhaps there is still some hope for you!?