PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

In all honesty, I had originally planned to take a year off anyway (between MTS and PHD). I just decided to change my mind last second (well, I decided in August to give it a shot) and simply apply to my number one choice in order to see what would happen (religious pluralism is a lot of what I've based my entire MTS degree off of, I worked for the Pluralism Project, etc.). It was an almost perfect program, back home, and the like, so I figured I'd try.

It's all good. I'll just revamp my GRE studying (I'm sure a lot of my rejection had to do with my scores... they are abysmal), get married (NOW I HAVE TONS OF TIME TO PLAN FOR MY WEDDING! YAY!!!), study the crap out of Arabic, and go with my original list of 5 or so schools.

Edited by MsBOOM

Haha... even though I really want this, I sometimes feel eerily calm about it (the whole thing, but rejections in particular). Maybe it's just the way we protect ourselves. Good to know re: Harvard GSAS. I do not expect to get in there but it will be interesting to see if I did. 

MsBOOM, sorry about the rejection. :( Thanks for the confirmation on Harvard GSAS! 

A year off between master's work and PhD work isn't a bad thing. It's what I'm doing right now, actually. Kaplan's GRE prep book dramatically increased my scores when I retook it.

Good luck!

Last year, they notified around this same time (looks like around March 1). Nothing has been posted this year yet. Hopefully soon!

First the adcomm said there would be interviews given to strongest applicants; now email says decision as of March 10.  I had interview prior to app, so everything is uncertain.  HUC probably could not sway me from UCLA, however, although I hear their funding is excellent.

Shit, I'm sorry. :(

Well, there is always next year. Many of us have to apply several cycles, unfortunately; and even more of us have to get yet another masters. *sigh*

I had to get a second MA.  My languages and exegesis skills were abysmal after the first one.  

Actually I just saw that there is an update from IU under the 'religious studies' field instead of 'religion,' so I guess everyone here already knew that. Sorry I wasted a post. Wouldn't be the first time that happened on the internet. >_>

Edit: Looking back I see that in the last page or two people have already talked about Indiana... So yeah, wasted post. My excuse is I spent the last two days visiting U of MN so I haven't been checking the forum desperately as per the usual. Anyway, I got rejected too, so I feel you. I asked how many offers they were able to make, I'll let the internet know when I hear back.

Edited by Alex Madlinger

Are we certain Harvard is sending out results? MsBOOM?

I was wondering the same thing. It was confirmed by a professor here yesterday, so I'm wondering what's up! I'm really nervous for many friends who are awaiting results - including you guys! Other Harvard schools already released decisions today... so I'm not sure.

Edited by MsBOOM

I was wondering the same thing. It was confirmed by a professor here yesterday, so I'm wondering what's up! I'm really nervous for many friends who are awaiting results - including you guys! Other Harvard schools already released decisions today... so I'm not sure.

I was under the impression that the committee was meeting today, not necessarily that decisions would be released.

I think that is what doobiebrothers said. But he also mentioned that a notification on academia.edu from Cambridge meant you were a finalist at Harvard...not sure I buy that.

Ha! Grasping at straws...