PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

religion. No, I'm not hopeful for an admit this season (a little birdy tells me anyone lucky enough to get a harvard admit will go there), and I'm pretty settled in my life abroad; but it does feel much better than a rejection, and my POI was very nice--she basically said, do xyz and re-apply and it will all be good. inshallah.

I hope this helps:

I did receive an offer with funding from Marquette. The email was a tad confusing, but I think I understand it now.

I do plan on accepting the offer, granted one other school doesn't come through. My program is JCA, btw.

I know this is frustrating for several folks looking at Marquette. My heart goes out to you! All the best!!

To the person who said Marquette had 4 funded spots, was that in the entire Theology department or a particular subfield (e.g. Systematics)? Also, how do you know?

I was one of the people who got wait listed at Loyola University Chicago. My email was identical to the one a previous user copy-pasted here (except with my name, of course). Seems a little disingenuous to send that to more than one person! 

I think I saw that a couple of you had applied to Hebrew Union College. In case you haven't heard, their committee met today and made their decisions. One of their current students told me that they have about six spots for their Ph.D. program this year.

I've been waitlisted. Hope some of you get some good news!

I think I saw that a couple of you had applied to Hebrew Union College. In case you haven't heard, their committee met today and made their decisions. One of their current students told me that they have about six spots for their Ph.D. program this year.

I've been waitlisted. Hope some of you get some good news!

I got waitlisted as well for Jewish Studies in Greco-Roman Period.  Already have first choice.  Not a bad outcome for a fully funded program.  I don't think my fit was quite as good at HUC.  

waitlisted at harvard; they say it's a "shortlist;" is there anything to do at this point???

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you, girl! (Also, just want to say I miss you and our Arabic sessions... because, well... I suck at Arabic and you helped me immensely!)

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you, girl! (Also, just want to say I miss you and our Arabic sessions... because, well... I suck at Arabic and you helped me immensely!)

thanks love; i'm having a hard time in this year's arabic myself! poetry is no joke :/

Anyone hear any word from Penn RS? Nothing on the results section. Kinda strange. eh?

Penn takes very few students most years (2-3), so it's probably just that the people who were offered don't frequent this site.

I would imagine the same.  

Penn takes very few students most years (2-3), so it's probably just that the people who were offered don't frequent this site.

I would imagine the same.  The Grad admissions coordinator seemed to insinuate that interviews happened for prospective admits, which I obviously didn't get, but then again HUC waitlisted me without an interview.  

Accepted off wait list at Princeton Theological Seminary. Yay!!!! I got an informal email from DGS informing me to expect a formal offer! So happy. 

Awesome!  Good to hear something positive amidst all the rejections.  Meanwhile, just got my rejection letter from Indiana.   Their loss.  

Awesome!  Good to hear something positive amidst all the rejections.  Meanwhile, just got my rejection letter from Indiana.   Their loss.  

awells27, I would KILL to have been able to stay in Southern California! IU is doing you a favor. I did grow up around Pasadena, so I'm biased, but the Chicago winter this year was...horrifying. It snowed AGAIN today. I understand why my friends at Fuller who were from the Midwest ended up just staying in Pasadena. Go to UCLA. Stay warm forever.  B)

To the person who said Marquette had 4 funded spots, was that in the entire Theology department or a particular subfield (e.g. Systematics)? Also, how do you know?

Their DGS told me that I was the next in line for funding and that they offered funding to 4 people.  I assume this means overall, not just by area.  I'm not exactly sure on that, however.

Edited by theotokos1

On 3/12/2014 at 10:09 AM, theogeek said:

On 3/12/2014 at 10:09 AM, theogeek said:

Thanks everyone! Sorry to hear about your news awells27, but good attitude and it definitely looks like you've been accepted at some amazing schools.

To be honest, if UCLA had rejected me, I would be honored to go to Marquette.  They have two professors that are a direct match on my research emphasis.  The main hold up now at UCLA is grad admission's processing of the LOI, I guess there has been a delay in processing them, which is ill-timed, since orientation is next Thursday and they like to think some have committed by then..   

On 3/12/2014 at 10:55 AM, marXian said:

awells27, I would KILL to have been able to stay in Southern California! IU is doing you a favor. I did grow up around Pasadena, so I'm biased, but the Chicago winter this year was...horrifying. It snowed AGAIN today. I understand why my friends at Fuller who were from the Midwest ended up just staying in Pasadena. Go to UCLA. Stay warm forever.  B)

I grew up in Albany and went to school for 6 years in NE Ohio, so I don't miss the cold a bit.  In my first MA program, I used to have to commute to night classes twice a week in the blinding snow on the non-salted Cleveland highways.  They never cancelled class.