Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

Yes!  I am going to be working at my current postion as a case manager/mental health counselor full time.  I'm going for UIC's and U of C's extended evening programs (third year full-time).  It will be tough, but I am more than ready!  I'm glad someone else is in the same boat!  I am also lucky, because living in the Chicago area there are many wonderful MSW programs, the majority of which do PM study.

I've heard back from both of these schools so you should be hearing soon :) Good luck!

Finishing my Fordham and Hunter apps and submitting them both tomorrow and then I'll be done and it's a waiting game! Cutting it close but I wanted and needed my Fall 2013 grades in there (oh hey, 4.0 semester....)

@onenametim I put CSUF as a very high choice only because they fulfill LCSW coursework without additional time.  I have applied to 4 other schools, and still have to finish CSULB.  My concentration is Aging, what about you?

I applied to USC. Still waiting.. waiting is a killer.  I went to an information session awhile back and they said only 22% get accepted. Those who applied to USC what was your GPA? I have a 3.8 but no volunteer experience but I was in the Navy for 10 years.  

I just got accepted to Boston College (my first and only choice).  Gummybear4182, you were in the Navy for 10 years?  So was I, I served from 1999-2007.  I hope you're able to get into USC.  I heard they have a really great military/veterans program there---one of the best in the country if I'm not mistaken.  What was your rate in the Navy?  I was an MM2 before I got force-converted to SK2.  I miss San Diego though---great weather and awesome food! :)

Hi nightwolf1129 I was a CS1 although I never actually worked in my rate mostly all administration work. Congrats on getting into Boston!!! I hear that the veteran program is a unique program. Im not sure it i will actually do my sub concentration in that. My main choice is mental health and either a sub concentration in military/veterans or geriatrics. The weather has been nice here although it is a rainy and only 54 here today. 

I applied to USC. Still waiting.. waiting is a killer.  I went to an information session awhile back and they said only 22% get accepted. Those who applied to USC what was your GPA? I have a 3.8 but no volunteer experience but I was in the Navy for 10 years.  

I got in with a 3.2. However, I have had countless years of experience in 8 different schools. I would think everyone would want a balance for both gpa and work experience. Perhaps I was lucky? I applied right when admissions opened up.

If I may chime in too regarding your question Gummybear4182 (and the point that tiennnthai made) is that I believe most schools who offer MSW programs look at the applicant from a holistic perspective.  So in your case Gummybear, you have 10 years of service in the Navy as a cook.  You must've at least served a couple of deployments so you've probably had a chance to visit foreign countries and you most likely weren't stuck in one duty station for those 10 years so you've had a chance to work at several locations & work with people from a multitude of backgrounds, ethnicities, etc.  Though you may not necessarily have direct social work-related volunteering/internship experience (e.g., volunteering at a homeless shelter, etc.), your LIFE experience should, in theory, be recognized by admissions committees---especially those like USC who place a strong emphasis on the military & Veteran populations.  May I ask what your Undergraduate degree was in?  Because if it was something along the lines of Psychology, Sociology, Social work (e.g., BSW), or even Human Services then that could work strongly in your favor especially since you have a great GPA.

Have you considered possibly looking into any social work-related volunteering opportunities in your town or area that you could do in the meantime?  If you're connected with a local VA hospital or have one near you, it might be worth looking into because I know firsthand that there's a huge need for volunteers in the VA.  Some programs I know (since I currently volunteer and work for the VA) are the Center for Returning OEF/OIF Veterans, and HUDVASH (aka homeless Veterans).  Not only would this experience be great on a resume, but it's an awesome opportunity to network yourself within the VA, for example, that might make it easier for you to obtain an internship when you're an MSW graduate student OR even better, a potential job opening upon graduation.

Let me know if there's anything I could do to help.  I know I'm clear across the U.S. from you but can definitely point you in some directions if you're interested.  Always willing to help a fellow shipmate out :)

Who exactly told you this information? I've asked numerous faculty and admin, and as far as I know, USC doesn't disclose their acceptance rate. Furthermore, I **was** told that the OC, SD, and main LA campuses all have different acceptance rates, since a huge majority want to apply to only the LA campus. I'd also imagine the online program has a much higher acceptance rate.

Who exactly told you this information? I've asked numerous faculty and admin, and as far as I know, USC doesn't disclose their acceptance rate. Furthermore, I **was** told that the OC, SD, and main LA campuses all have different acceptance rates, since a huge majority want to apply to only the LA campus. I'd also imagine the online program has a much higher acceptance 

Im sorry I meant to say that it was at the San Diego campus that said this last friday at their informations session. You are right, each campus has different rates of acceptance. 

If I may chime in too regarding your question Gummybear4182 (and the point that tiennnthai made) is that I believe most schools who offer MSW programs look at the applicant from a holistic perspective.  So in your case Gummybear, you have 10 years of service in the Navy as a cook.  You must've at least served a couple of deployments so you've probably had a chance to visit foreign countries and you most likely weren't stuck in one duty station for those 10 years so you've had a chance to work at several locations & work with people from a multitude of backgrounds, ethnicities, etc.  Though you may not necessarily have direct social work-related volunteering/internship experience (e.g., volunteering at a homeless shelter, etc.), your LIFE experience should, in theory, be recognized by admissions committees---especially those like USC who place a strong emphasis on the military & Veteran populations.  May I ask what your Undergraduate degree was in?  Because if it was something along the lines of Psychology, Sociology, Social work (e.g., BSW), or even Human Services then that could work strongly in your favor especially since you have a great GPA.

Have you considered possibly looking into any social work-related volunteering opportunities in your town or area that you could do in the meantime?  If you're connected with a local VA hospital or have one near you, it might be worth looking into because I know firsthand that there's a huge need for volunteers in the VA.  Some programs I know (since I currently volunteer and work for the VA) are the Center for Returning OEF/OIF Veterans, and HUDVASH (aka homeless Veterans).  Not only would this experience be great on a resume, but it's an awesome opportunity to network yourself within the VA, for example, that might make it easier for you to obtain an internship when you're an MSW graduate student OR even better, a potential job opening upon graduation.

Let me know if there's anything I could do to help.  I know I'm clear across the U.S. from you but can definitely point you in some directions if you're interested.  Always willing to help a fellow shipmate out :)

I have done plenty of deployments and seen many different ports. I also did different counseling jobs such as career counselor and worked as a sexual assault prevention and emergency response advocate. My undergrad degrees are in psychology and criminal justice. I did put all this in my resume and statement of purpose. I guess I just hate waiting is all and get over anxious to just know. I am also kicking myself because I did not apply to any other program. I was originally going the MFT route but realized I could do way more as a social worker.  I did not know that you can volunteer at the VA, I will have to look into that. Certainly could only benefit me in the long run. If they wouldn't have said 22% at the information session I don't think I would be freaking out. Thank- you for your help! 

Gummybear...

I am a HM2 and was in your situation last year. A change of homeport moved us from San Diego to Boston but I used to be hellbent on USC and then shifted to SDSU. I dont know if your using your GI Bill or still AD but I found doing my work study the the VA to be a tremendous networking experience. I too have experience as a DAPA and SAPR and that coupled with other collaterals got me accepted into all of my programs. I am interviewing next month at the VA for my second year field placement. I'm happy to elaborate on my journey if youd like to via PM or on the open forum. Cant wait to hear some good news from you!

Applied to Columbia, Michigan, and Smith (all early). Has anyone heard back from Columbia?

I just found out I was wait-listed at Smith :/

Anyone here get in off the wait list and/or have advice about how I should proceed? I feel like I ought to send them something reiterating my interest in the program (it is my top choice).

Thanks!