Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

I am hoping some of you will help me calm my nerves about this process. I am only able to apply to UW because I am not mobile. I have two kiddos and am applying to their part-time program. My undergrad is in Psychology. I intend to focus on mental health. My GPA is 3.65 and I have a smattering of random volunteer experience and currently work full time for a fortune 500 company. I will reduce my hours or quit if I am accepted. I think my references are strong, but I just don't know anyone else who is doing this so I'd appreciate anyone willing to share their experience with me. What do you think my odds are? With only one school available to me geographically and financially, it's so scary!

Hi! I applied to UW last year and was rejected (giving it another go this time around). This past summer the director of admissions met with reapplicants to go over where some of their weaknesses in the application may have been. I applied for the full time day program so I'm not sure if they look at different criteria for part time but my biggest blight was my experience. The 2012 cohort had an average of I think 3.5 years of experience. It seems like they really put an emphasize on that, whether it be research, direct care, or community work. They really want you to 100% know what social work is all about.

You're GPA is around or a little above average for the cohort.

Good luck!

Edited by ASWaxer

To those of you who've been accepted to USC

When you login to: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=USC-GRAD

Does it say something like "Application status: accepted"?

I applied 11/14 and haven't heard back yet.

No, it doesn't say accepted. It says office of admission only notifies admission by letter only. I received an acceptance email on Monday 2/10 and I am checking my mailbox everyday!

To those of you who've been accepted to USC

When you login to: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=USC-GRAD

Does it say something like "Application status: accepted"?

I applied 11/14 and haven't heard back yet.

I also applied on 11/14 and haven't heard back yet. My status says "Submitted" and that's it. I wonder if they send out batches of acceptance letters, or if they sent it all at once and depending on where you live, may receive the letter a bit later than others. Either way, I'm really hoping we hear back next week. This waiting is killing me especially since so many others have heard back already!! 

Congrata Sizzlinpri!! Can I ask when did you submit your application to hunter?

thank you.  I submitted it Jan 24, and on Jan 27, hunter email  me asking me to pick a date for an interview.

Edited by Sizzlinpri

Thanks! I got my mail acceptance letters fr both BC and Simmons. Simmons gave me 15k and BC offered a really generous scholarship. I'm waiting for Case Western if I'm accepted and see if they're offering funding that could compete with BC's. Then I'd have to factor in cost of living in boston vs Cleveland. Having lived in boston for 4 yrs, full time grad student just seems so impossible.

If I decide to attend BC, I can't wait to meet other students soon!

Congrats Eunice! Many of us in the forum have heard from BC and already got a letter from them. It took me a little more than a week to get an official letter after the email. So hang in there! I hope to see you at BC, if you decide to go there! =) Good luck!

By the way, I also applied to Simmons and they asked me for the same documents. I don't even know if I should be submitting because I already made up my mind to go to BC.

For all those accepted - Have you all gotten information on how much financial aid you will receive when you got your acceptance letter?

I was just accepted to a school but didn't get any information about whether they would give me financial aid or not. 

I applied to CSUN and CSULB late December. I am on the pending list at CSULB. No news from CSUN.

Hey chloemsw, did they send u an email from csulb letting you know u were wait listed? I haven't received anything from them. Except for an email saying my application was on final review or something

Hey chloemsw, did they send u an email from csulb letting you know u were wait listed? I haven't received anything from them. Except for an email saying my application was on final review or something

Yes, I received an email with a letter attachment stating that my application is im pending status. However, CSULB does not consider this a waiting status. It simply means my app. Is placed on hold because they were waiting for all applications to come thru. A week after i received a second email stating my app. Is in final departmental review.

Hey, does anyone have any knowledge about the trauma-focus programs offered by BU and Simmons? E.g. which program offers better training in trauma, what is the difference between a "certificate" (BU) versus a "specialization" (Simmons), do either the certificate or specialization appear on your diploma?

BU offers a Trauma Certificate Program (TCP) but it is limited to 10 students per year. Students are paired with a BU graduate of the TCP and a faculty mentor. 

Simmons College offers a Trauma and Interpersonal Violence Specialization, and you basically just take electives to receive this. 

Thanks!!

Rejected by Simmons last week.  They made the right decision. I had already decided that it wasn't the best place for me anyway, although the location of that place in Boston is just beyond compare.  A rejection keeps one nice and humble.  I'm just glad it wasn't three of them.

Hello every1, 

I thought I'd add to this post.

I have applied to csun, csula, csudh, and csulb.

However, my background is not in social work.

My undergrad degree was in business administration, option in marketing

But as you see I have had a change of heart.

I received an email from csun saying my application is complete.

I didnt hear anything from csula but i did call and they said my application was complete over the phone.

I received an email from csudh with my overall gpa (3.1, i know its kinda low) and that my application was complete.

CSULB just sent me an email with an attachment saying that my application was sent to the department for review.

So, im playing the waiting game.

I'm so nervous.

Hello every1, 

I didnt hear anything from csula but i did call and they said my application was complete over the phone.

I received an email from csudh with my overall gpa (3.1, i know its kinda low) and that my application was complete.

CSULB just sent me an email with an attachment saying that my application was sent to the department for review.

I'm so nervous.

My undergrad is business management too. As long as you have a strong resume in social workk.... i was told this when i contacted long beach. The assistant said undergrad doesn't matter.

I'm playing the waiting game too. Good luck :)

Hello every1, 

I'm so nervous.

so sad... just got rejected from CSULA today... That was my second pick after csun... goodbye csula