Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

This forum is an awesome way to communicate with other MSW applicants and current MSW students. I thought I would start a thread for people to correspond through while applying to MSW programs for the fall 2014 academic year. I have already applied to The University of Michigan, and Wayne State University. I plan on applying to The University of Washington, The University of Wisconsin - Madison, and Western Michigan University. My top choices are The University of Michigan and Wayne State University. Ive found it hard to find programs with a strong policy concentration, and this is why my list is so limited. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I misjudged how long the application process is for graduate school. Especially during senior year, when we are super busy!

The schools I am applying to are Cal State Northridge, Cal State L.A., and Ohio State University. I would prefer to get my masters degree in the state where I will eventually be living and working (California), but funding is a big part of everything, too.

I'm almost done with my Northridge application. I'm just waiting for my personal statement review my boss offered to do for me, and my references. 

Good luck to everyone!

I am just really putting my application for Berkeley together.  I am 50 and I live in the Antelope Valley.  I am graduating in the Spring but I have been preparing for this for a lifetime. My GPA is 3.92.  I am not sure if that will mean anything to Berkeley since it is from CSUB; not rigorous/ prestigious. I am interested in the MAP concentration.  I have always told my children it isn't so much where you study but who you study under and one professor in particular has done research in all the areas I feel I need to know. I am looking at others but I am not sure if my husband will just move anywhere!! lol The five kids are grown. 3 have graduated college and two are at UCSB . If I show up there for anything my daughter will kill me! Hi honey can I go to college with you?

I am just really putting my application for Berkeley together.  I am 50 and I live in the Antelope Valley.  I am graduating in the Spring but I have been preparing for this for a lifetime. My GPA is 3.92.  I am not sure if that will mean anything to Berkeley since it is from CSUB; not rigorous/ prestigious. I am interested in the MAP concentration.  I have always told my children it isn't so much where you study but who you study under and one professor in particular has done research in all the areas I feel I need to know. I am looking at others but I am not sure if my husband will just move anywhere!! lol The five kids are grown. 3 have graduated college and two are at UCSB . If I show up there for anything my daughter will kill me! Hi honey can I go to college with you?

Good luck, alesso! I agree that it is important to study under someone that is as passionate about a subject as you are. I think having connections with a certain faculty member will also increase your chances of getting into that program if they really want to work with you. 

I think I misjudged how long the application process is for graduate school. Especially during senior year, when we are super busy!

The schools I am applying to are Cal State Northridge, Cal State L.A., and Ohio State University. I would prefer to get my masters degree in the state where I will eventually be living and working (California), but funding is a big part of everything, too.

I'm almost done with my Northridge application. I'm just waiting for my personal statement review my boss offered to do for me, and my references. 

Good luck to everyone!

I started my application materials in the summer because I heard horror stories of not being able to get materials around in time, and consequentially missing the deadlines. I started early and still had problems with one of my LOR's. I can't imagine having to do applications now on top of taking on a full course load! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just started my application for the fall 2014 matriculation. I feel really behind and just wanted to see how everyone is doing.  Also the deadline for the school I am applying to is December 14th and I am STILL working on my personal statement so looking for some virtual support out there. I just plan on applying to San Diego State University but having second thoughts and feeling like I should apply to other schools too.  I eventually want to practice in California. 

I just finished my application for University of Washington today! I'll also be applying to Portland State University because it is instate and funding is a big issue for me. My other choice was Berkeley, but mostly because I just want to get back to the Bay Area...I decided to let that go since it doesn't seem like the best way to pick a school (especially one with that price tag).

I'm hoping to do a MSW/MPH with a global focus, concentrating on health outcomes for migrant women and children. The focus that UW has is PERFECT for me, but it comes with the possibility of a lot of debt since I'll be out of state. As a single mama, it may come down to finances for me. I'm hoping to magically get a large enough aid package to make UW a reality. 

Did anyone else get their application into UW for early consideration? Any idea when we could expect to hear back? 

I just finished my application for University of Washington today! I'll also be applying to Portland State University because it is instate and funding is a big issue for me. My other choice was Berkeley, but mostly because I just want to get back to the Bay Area...I decided to let that go since it doesn't seem like the best way to pick a school (especially one with that price tag).

I'm hoping to do a MSW/MPH with a global focus, concentrating on health outcomes for migrant women and children. The focus that UW has is PERFECT for me, but it comes with the possibility of a lot of debt since I'll be out of state. As a single mama, it may come down to finances for me. I'm hoping to magically get a large enough aid package to make UW a reality. 

Did anyone else get their application into UW for early consideration? Any idea when we could expect to hear back? 

Last year was UW's first year doing early admissions and it was a bit of a mess, hopefully this year they'll be better prepared.

We were told we'd hear decisions in February, and most of us didn't hear anything until literally 11:30pm on February 28th.  Some people were accepted and it seemed like even more were rolled over into the general admission decision which came around the end of March.

I didn't make it in last year but hoping with another year of experience I'll fare better this year.

Good luck! 

I heard back from UW around 1:30am on March 1st ;) It was a stressful day... 

A really awesome person from this board offered to read my statements before I submitted them and I found it to be so invaluable. I'd like to pass that same gesture along. If you would like a fresh pair of eyes to look over your statement feel free to PM me. I'll be pretty busy until Dec. 10 because the quarter is coming to an end, but I'll see what I can do :)

Good luck everyone!

Last year was UW's first year doing early admissions and it was a bit of a mess, hopefully this year they'll be better prepared.

We were told we'd hear decisions in February, and most of us didn't hear anything until literally 11:30pm on February 28th.  Some people were accepted and it seemed like even more were rolled over into the general admission decision which came around the end of March.

I didn't make it in last year but hoping with another year of experience I'll fare better this year.

Good luck! 

Thanks for the info! I think I have a strong application, great grades, and I know my letters are really good, but I don't have much experience. I know UW is competitive but here's to hoping!

I heard back from UW around 1:30am on March 1st ;) It was a stressful day... 

A really awesome person from this board offered to read my statements before I submitted them and I found it to be so invaluable. I'd like to pass that same gesture along. If you would like a fresh pair of eyes to look over your statement feel free to PM me. I'll be pretty busy until Dec. 10 because the quarter is coming to an end, but I'll see what I can do :)

Good luck everyone!

Wow, that's really nice of you. I just sent you a PM!

Hey friends! I'm applying to Boston College, Boston University, and NYU Silver. I'm a senior in college now, and after high school I took a gap year to do an AmeriCorps program. Luckily, these three MSW programs (and a few more, but I'm looking East Coast) offer substantial scholarships to alumni of the program I did, which is why I'm only applying to three schools. I'm hoping to get my applications in by the end of next week. If anyone wants to exchange SoP's, or is looking at the same programs as I am, feel free to PM me! :D