Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

What program did you apply for? (FT/PT) And what campus? Have you filled out your placement form? I also got accepted to USC!  :D

CONGRATS!! I applied for FT at University Park Campus. How about you? I haven't filled out any forms because I was waiting for my packet to be sent regarding deadlines and other info. 

CONGRATS!! I applied for FT at University Park Campus. How about you? I haven't filled out any forms because I was waiting for my packet to be sent regarding deadlines and other info. 

Congrats to you too!! I am doing PT also at University Park Campus since I work really close to it. I think on the email it said we have two weeks from the time we receive our packet to submit everything. I'm sorta starting to write the field placement essay  :D

It looks like many are being interviewed for CSUN's MSW program. Should I be worried? I haven't heard anything from them. I applied Dec. 23.

Did you receive an email saying that they received your packet? Or nothing at all? During the interview they said that they are moving things quickly for this application period and final decisions should be sent out by early April. I think you should call them and ask if they have received your application. But then again, they could be doing things in waves too. I remember last year's batch was like that. 

Does anyone know anything about Smith's program in comparison to the other programs out in Boston? Please share if you know anything about BU, BC, or Smith. Really appreciate it!

I don't know much about Smith, but I can tell you about BU, BC, and Simmons because my coworkers went to these three schools. 

I know that BC and Simmons are very clinical focused. BU is mostly macro. In terms of field placement, BC has better networks, but Simmons requires more hours per day. Simmons has a very good trauma program as well. I hope that's enough info because these are what my coworkers told me. In terms of the culture of the school, Simmons has a lot of part-time students and many are in social services professions already.

Did you receive an email saying that they received your packet? Or nothing at all? During the interview they said that they are moving things quickly for this application period and final decisions should be sent out by early April. I think you should call them and ask if they have received your application. But then again, they could be doing things in waves too. I remember last year's batch was like that. 

Yes I received a confirmation email a week after I applied. I just notice a lot of applicants are receiving interview requests so I'm beginning to worry.

Yes I received a confirmation email a week after I applied. I just notice a lot of applicants are receiving interview requests so I'm beginning to worry.

Yea, they interview 6-8 people at one time. You just received a confirmation email? After they sent me a confirmation email, they sent me another saying that my application is complete. How did you send your application? 

Does anyone know anything about Smith's program in comparison to the other programs out in Boston? Please share if you know anything about BU, BC, or Smith. Really appreciate it!

Now I might be a bit biased because I am a student at Smith, but I think that it is a great school. It has a good reputation in the Boston area. For example, my first year field placement had students from a few schools but they were all second years. The only first year interns my field placement wanted were Smith students. There is also the pain of moving back and forth for three summers and two field placements to consider and the  price is also astronomical. Ultimately, if you are interested in clinical social work, particularly with a psychodynamic focus, there is no other school that I would recommend :)

Now I might be a bit biased because I am a student at Smith, but I think that it is a great school. It has a good reputation in the Boston area. For example, my first year field placement had students from a few schools but they were all second years. The only first year interns my field placement wanted were Smith students. There is also the pain of moving back and forth for three summers and two field placements to consider and the  price is also astronomical. Ultimately, if you are interested in clinical social work, particularly with a psychodynamic focus, there is no other school that I would recommend :)

Thanks so much for your feedback!! That's extremely helpful. How important are fieldwork placement hours/agency types/internship quality in relation to your future career? Why do you suppose placement agencies in the Boston area give m,ore credit to interns from Smith over interns from schools like BU or BC? (Can you provide examples of agencies?)

CONGRATS!! WOOOO! FT/PT? I'll see you around!

I got accepted into the USC MSW Program!!! Wooo! Fall 2014 @UPC :D

Congrats to the both of you!! Can I ask when did you guys submit your applications? I submitted right before the 11/15 deadline and haven't heard back...

I received an email today informing of my acceptance to BC. I'm waiting for Case Western and Simmons. Simmons has been urging me to submit financial aid forms without a formal offer, so I'm unsure about this. I submitted all my applications late December and my recommendations weren't completely received until Jan 31.

But yay that my first grad school acceptance was from my top choice. Now I can live sans too much anxiety. Good luck to y'all!

Congrats Eunice! Many of us in the forum have heard from BC and already got a letter from them. It took me a little more than a week to get an official letter after the email. So hang in there! I hope to see you at BC, if you decide to go there! =) Good luck!

By the way, I also applied to Simmons and they asked me for the same documents. I don't even know if I should be submitting because I already made up my mind to go to BC.