Fall 2014 MSW Applications

U-M_Detroiter

Hi, casualrunnergal.

Did you interview? It probably wouldn't hurt if you have a contact person at the school to follow up with.

Did you receive notice via letter? I was hoping to hear today too but just checked the mail and it wasn't in there. The anticipation is horrible! I hope everything works out for you! My top choice is BU.

Hi everyone,

It looks like many of you have already sent in your applications. I decided last minute that I am going to apply to CSU, San Marcos. From what I've read, they are currently not accredited (which was a reason why I didn't apply earlier) but will be in the process of receiving another evaluation this spring. Is anyone apply to CSU San Marcos and does anyone know much about the program?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Hi everyone,

It looks like many of you have already sent in your applications. I decided last minute that I am going to apply to CSU, San Marcos. From what I've read, they are currently not accredited (which was a reason why I didn't apply earlier) but will be in the process of receiving another evaluation this spring. Is anyone apply to CSU San Marcos and does anyone know much about the program?

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Hi Bellebruin, 

My good friend just applied there and has stayed in contact with the department about the accreditation. It seems like a great program from what my friend has relayed back to me. She's excited about it, she also applied to USC but would rather go to CSU. Wish I would have known about it sooner or I would have applied there. Best of luck to you. 

Gummybear...

I am a HM2 and was in your situation last year. A change of homeport moved us from San Diego to Boston but I used to be hellbent on USC and then shifted to SDSU. I dont know if your using your GI Bill or still AD but I found doing my work study the the VA to be a tremendous networking experience. I too have experience as a DAPA and SAPR and that coupled with other collaterals got me accepted into all of my programs. I am interviewing next month at the VA for my second year field placement. I'm happy to elaborate on my journey if youd like to via PM or on the open forum. Cant wait to hear some good news from you!

Hi TLC, 

Thank-you for the advice. I have looked into volunteering at the VA as nightwolf has suggested I just hope they have positions available to work with.  social workers. I never thought that my collaterals would pull much weight but the advice I'm getting is that it should help. Now I am really glad I took those on. I will be using the GI bill and in the process or actually using Voc rehab instead since I qualify and many of the veterans I talked to at USC are all using Voc Rehab. How do you like SDSU?  

Gummybear,

I did my work study with HUD VASH and HCHV at the VA in Mission Valley for over a year. So there are paid opportunities to volunteer. Again... PM me if you'd like for the details.

I think I mentioned that my fiances submarine changed homeports from the west coast to the east coast so I had to apply to 5 schools out here instead of going with the 5 schools I applied to in CA. I wanted SDSU so bad because it is SO inexpensive ( I am a CA resident and have the GI Bill). I was so sad to tell them I couldn't attend after I got my acceptance. They have placements at the military bases and many of the VA's, Vet Centers, Clinics, GPD's etc. Its a phenomenal program. I went to the information session and am happy to tell you all I learned if your interested.

Gummybear... Another volunteer opportunity is to volunteer at Stand Down. Its an annual three day event hosted by VA's all over ( I always did the San Diego and OC ones when I was AD and even when I was a Reservist). They have medical and mental health tents and three large mobile dental units. There are SW'rs in the mental health tent. Its catered to homeless veterans and providing them with a wealth of resources and transitional/permanent housing. Its TOUGH work but very rewarding. Forgive me if this is old information to you.

Hey!

I really need a confidence boost cause I keep having nightmares that none of my schools ( Columbia, WashU and Fordham) will want me. :( 

I have a 3.7 undergrad GPA and a 3.9 major GPA in social work. I am the university choir president. and the president of another school women's group. I have two years in field placement experience. I went to El Salvador on my spring breaks, I am a gold award girl scout. 

Can someone please  tell me if you think I have a shot at my schools?

Thank you! 

Just curious, has anyone heard back from Denver, Columbia, or WashU? Denver has told me that the decisions should be made soon! I am anxiously waiting, and it is almost unbearable!!!!! Also, does anyone know anyone that attends those schools? If I got in, it would be a tough call! Any opinion would help! 

Congrats on your acceptance to U of Michigan casualrunnergal!  I've heard they have the best MSW program in the nation (according to usnews).  I myself received my acceptance email from Boston College (which was my top choice and only school I applied to).  What area will you be planning on concentrating in?

Thanks guys! I submitted my applications for both U of M and Columbia on Dec. 1st.

I am planning to specialize in Interpersonal Practice. I prefer Columbia's program because it offers 3 days of fieldwork per week, versus just 2 at U of M. I am also a native New Yorker and I plan to stay in the northeast long term (I've been living in California this past year and miss home!), so Columbia would make more sense. That is, if I am accepted!

Also, congrats on your acceptance, nightwolf! Boston is a great place.

Edited by casualrunnergal

Hi Everyone! Posting for the first time and with great news! 

Got my acceptance from USC today!

Applied: USC, UCLA, CSULA, CSULB and Pomona(MFT) 

Accepted USC (2/10)

I am hoping some of you will help me calm my nerves about this process.  I am only able to apply to UW because I am not mobile.  I have two kiddos and am applying to their part-time program.  My undergrad is in Psychology.  I intend to focus on mental health.  My GPA is 3.65 and I have a smattering of random volunteer experience and currently work full time for a fortune 500 company.  I will reduce my hours or quit if I am accepted.  I think my references are strong, but I just don't know anyone else who is doing this so I'd appreciate anyone willing to share their experience with me.  What do you think my odds are?  With only one school available to me geographically and financially, it's so scary!

I've created Google Documents for UC Berkeley and UCLA MSW 2014 Admittance Stats (Links Provided Below)! Please fill them out even if you were rejected so we can compare stats! Good luck to everyone!  :-P