When did you apply and when are you hearing back?

katethekitcat

ME TOO (UMich, although not the MHSA). This may even affect where I attend - may have to switch in favor of Minnesota, where I get in-state tuition. I e-mailed the epi department directly last week with a ton of departmental questions and finance questions and still haven't heard back.

It sounds like most havent heard back about it yet (although a few mentioned some for MPH degrees on SDN forums), which I guess is a positive. Based on previous cycles, it seems like we should have heard already or should hear about it relatively soon (like, tomorrow). Otherwise we'll have to wait until April.

If you hear something please post/let me know. I'll do the same.

For all University of Michigan Epidemiology admitted students:

"Congratulations on being admitted to the Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology program. The Dean's Awards have been determined and those students have been contacted."

I contacted the department about a month ago and this was the response that I got. I am waiting on JHU now for their financial aid package. I have applied for GSI positions already and received an RA position, but I will attend the cheapest institution since I plan to go to medical school afterwards.

I have heard though that if people who have received merit awards do not attend, they disperse the remaining funds to other admitted students.

Edited by NeurosciMRI

Anyone applying to a PhD in environmental health hear from Hopkins? I saw a BMB acceptance on Feb. 25th but that's the only mention from our little interview cohort I've come across. It's getting kind of late, so I'm predicting rejection but the radio silence is killer.

Anyone applying to a PhD in environmental health hear from Hopkins? I saw a BMB acceptance on Feb. 25th but that's the only mention from our little interview cohort I've come across. It's getting kind of late, so I'm predicting rejection but the radio silence is killer.

I applied to the environmental epidemiology track for Epi PhD at Hopkins. No news for me either, even though the bulk of epi notifications was sent weeks ago. I wonder if all of the environmental health/epi folks are considered together.

Edit: What is BMB?

Edited by FreeRadical

Called Harvard. They told me we'll find out by the end of the week.

Great! Finally we have some clarity on the expected timelines. Need to get into our "Brace Yourselves" mode now  :blink:

Any idea how many students they admit for each SM2 program? (I heard they take 5-7 guys for PhD per stream) I'm asking because unlike earlier years, I haven't seen many successful HPM SM2 candidates (or even SM1 for that matter) reporting their acceptances on GradCafe survey lists. It could well be the fact that this time due to some weird reason people are just not posting about their acceptances, though the probability of this happening is quite low as compared to the scenario where most of the acceptances are yet to be mailed out.

Well then, this is a quintessential case of the Harvard syndrome and I am just too anxious over what that mysterious email will contain!  :wacko:

Great! Finally we have some clarity on the expected timelines. Need to get into our "Brace Yourselves" mode now  :blink:

Any idea how many students they admit for each SM2 program? (I heard they take 5-7 guys for PhD per stream) I'm asking because unlike earlier years, I haven't seen many successful HPM SM2 candidates (or even SM1 for that matter) reporting their acceptances on GradCafe survey lists. It could well be the fact that this time due to some weird reason people are just not posting about their acceptances, though the probability of this happening is quite low as compared to the scenario where most of the acceptances are yet to be mailed out.

Well then, this is a quintessential case of the Harvard syndrome and I am just too anxious over what that mysterious email will contain!  :wacko:

According to the current students section for HPM SM2 website, looks like there is only 4-5 students per year. Within those students, there is a further breakdown between management vs policy vs research, so I believe it is very, very small.

I applied to the environmental epidemiology track for Epi PhD at Hopkins. No news for me either, even though the bulk of epi notifications was sent weeks ago. I wonder if all of the environmental health/epi folks are considered together.

Edit: What is BMB?

Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. They interviewed on the same dates but I don't think it has any bearing on our acceptance/rejections. Completely different department and staff. Just a canary in the never-ending anticipation coal mine.

According to the current students section for HPM SM2 website, looks like there is only 4-5 students per year. Within those students, there is a further breakdown between management vs policy vs research, so I believe it is very, very small.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/admissions/2012-hsph-statistics/

That's precisely the doubt some of us have. I think that the number of current students' profiles posted on their website is just indicative and definitely not an exhaustive list. THE ARGUMENT: As per the above link, in 2012 they had around 172 SM1+SM2 candidates and so the only questions are ( a ) how many SM1 and SM2, though I believe the number of SM1 students will be quite low because of tougher criteria (say a 30-70 split), and ( b ) the number of students out of these that belong to the various departments (there are 7 of them) at HSPH for SM1 and SM2.

This year, even if they have 120 students for SM2 out of 180 total SM applicants (say), that would mean they have an avg. of ~16-17 SM2 students in each of the departments. This would put an avg. of ~5-6 students each on the three tracks (policy, research & mgmt).

All these, of course, are the ramblings of an overly anxious mind! I would really appreciate any insight from someone who knows about these figures with a considerable degree of confidence.  :wacko:

Edited by punnirno2

Called Harvard. They told me we'll find out by the end of the week.

Yes, I've just called and I got the same response. Though he didn't seem very excited about it, and at one point he went, "Oh..." But I think it was because he couldn't find my name? In either case, I'm going to keep positive. :)

Me too! I hope that they are just looking over more applications and accepting/rejecting students as they go along instead of sending out the acceptances first and then rejections later.

I don't know why you keep on saying there are only 4-5 students accepted per year because according to HSPH's website that's definitely not the case.

Link to acceptance rates and statistics.

For people wondering about the size and competitiveness of different programs, the ASPH actually puts out comprehensive reports of applications and admissions for accredited schools of public health. The 2010 report is here: http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/DataReport2010.pdf

Even if you're into your top choice already and are no longer stressing about percentage admitted, the reports are also informative on the racial, gender, degree, and specialization mix of each program-- as well as each program's entering class and total size. They might be helpful to some who are making decisions now, too.

just called Harvard and was informed that my PhD app is still in the review process and that i won't hear back till at least next week - could be longer as they "hope" to make all decisions by next week since it's late in the season already. if wait-listed you should be notified and the guy wasn't sure how many people are being accepted in EHS this year since it varies year after year. 

so the waiting continues...

anyone heard from uc berkeley phd programs?? apparently spring visit day is Mar 17!!

Edited by soylatte5

I don't know why you keep on saying there are only 4-5 students accepted per year because according to HSPH's website that's definitely not the case.

Link to acceptance rates and statistics.

I don't think it's as low as 4-5, but it is definately low. The numbers you linked to are inclusive of all three of the SM degrees for each department and certain tracts within the department (i.e. policy, management, and research).

University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, MPH

SOPHAS app submitted 2/4, mailed week of 2/18, heard back 3/4 that I was admitted. Just an FYI.

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations jen. !  I got acceptance from UTHSC houston too. Did you contact the department on further steps of enrollment? 

I don't think it's as low as 4-5, but it is definately low. The numbers you linked to are inclusive of all three of the SM degrees for each department and certain tracts within the department (i.e. policy, management, and research).

Ah, okay. :) That clears things up.

In either case, I think I'll have better luck next year.

Hi everyone,

I am accepted in Boston University SPH and UTHSC Houston SPH for MPH in Epi. Though I am leaning more towards UTH, but BU offer is tempting sans the tuition $$$$ . I am offered $12K scholarship from BU but still I have to shell out huge cash from my pocket and apply for loan. Am a bit confused in making final call. ! Should I go forward and accept BU as its Top University and will have more opportunities? What are the chances of TAship/GAship at BU SPH?  Can anybody give an input. It will be helpful. Thank you

Edited by rookie_mph

Congratulations jen. !  I got acceptance from UTHSC houston too. Did you contact the department on further steps of enrollment? 

I should mention I choose the Austin campus. The Austin campus contacted me ASAP to let me know that I was accepted (apparently I was one of their "best applicants"....must not be a lot of competition), and they said I would be hearing from the Houston campus as well for next steps. 

Waiting to hear back from one more school, but am excited and humbled by the opportunity. Congrats to you, rookie_mph- did you get instructions on next steps?

I should mention I choose the Austin campus. The Austin campus contacted me ASAP to let me know that I was accepted (apparently I was one of their "best applicants"....must not be a lot of competition), and they said I would be hearing from the Houston campus as well for next steps. 

Waiting to hear back from one more school, but am excited and humbled by the opportunity. Congrats to you, rookie_mph- did you get instructions on next steps?

Thank you. Yes, Its good to have acceptances in hand. I remember how jittery I was till my first acceptance!

They asked me to sign in to MyUTH. I signed in and accepted the offer. That's all. I called up office of International services, they are yet to receive my file. So, I am just waiting. Good luck with other applications.