When did you apply and when are you hearing back?

katethekitcat

I still haven't heard anything yet. It's already 6:30PM in Boston, so maybe I'll wait until tomorrow to officially cry? Lol.

Damn, these HSPH guys have really made it excruciatingly tough for us folks this time. It is my top choice for HPM SM2 as well but I still have NO clue whatsoever where I am going to end up (accepted at Columbia/UMich/Yale programs but I am an international student and have still not figured out how I am going to fund it :( ). And that post that says that the HPM class size may be ~10 in total after all has left me horrified.

Anyhow, what makes you say that that you'll wait till today? Do universities send out decisions even on Saturdays?? :o If yes, that is a big big news for me! In any case, I haven't really seen many admits for SM2 HPM on any of the forums. Fingers crossed.

Damn, these HSPH guys have really made it excruciatingly tough for us folks this time. It is my top choice for HPM SM2 as well but I still have NO clue whatsoever where I am going to end up (accepted at Columbia/UMich/Yale programs but I am an international student and have still not figured out how I am going to fund it :( ). And that post that says that the HPM class size may be ~10 in total after all has left me horrified.

Anyhow, what makes you say that that you'll wait till today? Do universities send out decisions even on Saturdays?? :o If yes, that is a big big news for me! In any case, I haven't really seen many admits for SM2 HPM on any of the forums. Fingers crossed.

You're right. I totally forgot it was Saturday.

But maybe they just send the acceptances and rejections out at different times throughout the week, so they just sent the first wave of both and then we'll just wait for the next wave next week?

You're right. I totally forgot it was Saturday.

But maybe they just send the acceptances and rejections out at different times throughout the week, so they just sent the first wave of both and then we'll just wait for the next wave next week?

Whatever it is, I just hope they don't wait till Wednesday to send out the pending decisions now. Harvard's program being the top choice for so many of applicants, such a delay brings about a lot of uncertainty in finalizing choice of universities. 

But there's something that I really can't understand: unlike earlier years, I haven't seen many HPM SM2 acceptances even on GradCafe survey lists. Is it just that they have sent only a few acceptances or could it be the simple fact that people just haven't entered their decisions in there?  :wacko: Also, I am in at Columbia HPM, Yale HCM and Michigan MSPH and it would really help if you guys can rank those in terms of consulting outreach, curriculum flexibility and employment prospects. These forums have indeed been quite helpful, thanks to all!

Edited by punnirno2

Thanks! I am super stoked. I didn't pick a concentration - though I am thinking of the leadership concentration if I do end up picking one. I am interested in mental health services and stigma, so none of the other concentrations really fit that. I imagine if I go to Harvard, I will be creating my own program of sorts, and will take some mental health classes elsewhere. I am sure I will be able to create an experience suitable for my research goals and interests. What about you? Is this your top choice? If so, why? If you don't mind me asking. I am going back and forth between Emory and Harvard.

regardless, YALE and FULBRIGHT are awesome!! You know for sure that you will be somewhere awesome next year no matter what

Haha, thanks. Fulbright is definitely not a sure thing because there are other really competitive applicants in the pool. But hopefully it'll be promising!

Applied in October '13 to all my shortlisted Uni

Am an International Applicant. 

Fall 2014 MPH in Epidemiology International applicant 

Accepted: UTHSC Houston Campus, UIC, USF and BU SPH 

Going: UTHSC Houston Campus

Rejected: UM, UNC, EMory, HSPH 

Waiting: USC

I spent a lot money on applying to these uni, I wish I had not applied to few top-notch uni and those in the bottom of rank list. But, I didn't want to take chance.

So far:  

UT mailed me acceptance early in December and in late December I received an email stating I am being offered "Outstanding New Student Scholarship" which makes me eligible for in-state few. Which is way too less compared to other universities to which I had applied. BU is awesome but $42k (they offered $12K scholarship) an year is not affordable for me. 

I see hardly anybody talking about/applying to UTHSC. Is there none I would be meeting this fall :/ :)

I'm in the rejected pile for Harvard SM epi too, as of Friday afternoon. It's not a big surprise because I didn't realize until I was writing my statement (but after I'd already paid to send them my GREs :angry: ) just how little fit I really have with their program. I'd fit best in social & behavioral sciences, but I specifically wanted to avoid an SBS degree.

Now to go back to refreshing UIC's notoriously unreliable results page, hoping I don't have to move...

Hey I'm just curious, what schools are you leaning towards right now? I'm trying to get some insight on what some other people's pro's and con's are... I'm also waiting on a Harvard decision but I'm also trying to prepare for the worst.

I'm in HPM and I am also deciding between Columbia and UMich. UMich is one of the best in HPM, nice class sizes and they really hype up their alumni network. It'll also be a bit cheaper. Columbia is in a great location, ivy, but larger class sizes and more expensive. I haven't heard back from Yale yet.

Such a tough decision...

Edit: I just saw your second post. From my experience with UMich, their curriculum seems to be extremely flexible. I was talking to current students and they indicated they were able to switch between the MHSA and MPH easily. Most of them were also taking classes at the Ross Business School.  From what I read about Columbia, they seem flexible as well in terms of taking classes at other graduate departments. Hopefully I'll find out more on visit day.

I don't have official figures on Michigan's employment but one of the faculty members indicated that a lot of the top consulting companies and health care fellowships do specifically recruit at Michigan. It's a smaller program so competition might not be a stiff. I've yet to come across anything about Columbia. It's an Ivy so I'd expect a pretty strong network and eagerness from firms to recruit from them. Again, we'll probably know more on visit day later this month.

Edited by justin22

I'm in the rejected pile for Harvard SM epi too, as of Friday afternoon. It's not a big surprise because I didn't realize until I was writing my statement (but after I'd already paid to send them my GREs :angry: ) just how little fit I really have with their program. I'd fit best in social & behavioral sciences, but I specifically wanted to avoid an SBS degree.

Now to go back to refreshing UIC's notoriously unreliable results page, hoping I don't have to move...

I actually emailed a guy at UIC that I believe was a contact person regarding admissions for my specific program. He so graciously notified me of my denial via email. That was friday, their site still says "Referred to college for review". So I would see if you can email a specific person(if you haven't already of course). best of luck

I actually emailed a guy at UIC that I believe was a contact person regarding admissions for my specific program. He so graciously notified me of my denial via email. That was friday, their site still says "Referred to college for review". So I would see if you can email a specific person(if you haven't already of course). best of luck

Thanks! I've heard from others that they are not reliable about communicating decisions after they've been made, and it's definitely true from the results posted here-- lots of people said in their notes that they found out the decision by calling or emailing and asking for one.

I applied a little before the deadline, so they're really only about a business day late in getting back to me. I'm scared of being a pest after I contacted him about whether they got my application (and after a year of planning, I'm scared to know the outcome!) so I think I'm going to wait until the end of this week...

I still haven't heard anything.

Would really love to hear back re: finaid for UMich MHSA.

ME TOO (UMich, although not the MHSA). This may even affect where I attend - may have to switch in favor of Minnesota, where I get in-state tuition. I e-mailed the epi department directly last week with a ton of departmental questions and finance questions and still haven't heard back.