Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Has anyone heard anything from Northwestern NUIN? Have they announced their interview dates?

I have not. I did call them though, and they said most interview invites had been sent out, 55 out of 250 applicants, and that in the next week or so they would come out with official decisions.

Has anybody heard from University of Oregon?

I just heard tonight from U of Chicago Integrative Neuroscience!

I've just interviewed at Northwestern for NUIN last weekend. They originally gave me the option of three interview dates:

"NUIN's three admissions/recruiting events are scheduled for: January 16-17, January 30-31, and February 20-21."

They told us we will get our decisions sometime before this Friday. Those of us that aren't admitted will likely be waitlisted, but they might reject some applicants, and some applicants might turn down the acceptance right away. If that happens, I'm guessing they will probably send out new invites to meet the total number of qualified candidates they need. However, I think those newly invited people will be at a disadvantage and may end up waitlisted unless they do really well in their interviews (i.e. they have to do better than the people that got waitlisted from the first round of interviews).

Also, I don't know if all the invites to the last 2 interview sessions are confirmed, though I think they are (the email I got back in December specifically said to respond as soon as possible). If some people declined their interviews, that would also open up spots for more invitations to be sent out, but that may already have happened by now.

Either way, I'm fairly confident that all of the initial invites have been sent, so if you haven't heard anything yet, I'd consider yourself waitlisted. They get a lot of highly qualified applicants, so the difference between the waitlist and the interviewees is almost just random chance (and for all I know, I was at the very bottom of the pile of people that got the initial interviews). Having not heard a rejection yet is a good sign that they want to hold on to you in case another spot opens up.

If you do get an interview at this point, make sure you really present yourself well. At least on paper, they've judged you to be at "the back of the pack" and so you'll need to make a good impression to avoid getting waitlisted after the interview.

EDIT: Actually I don't see that any rejections have been sent out yet, so that's probably bad if you haven't heard anything. If they do send out a bunch of rejections and you don't get one, then you're on the waitlist and you have a decent chance at getting an interview.

TL/DR - If you haven't heard anything yet, its unlikely you'll get an invite. However, if they send out rejections and you don't get one, then you'd be waitlisted, and should have a reasonable chance to get an interview.

Edited by ashcanpete

I've just interviewed at Northwestern for NUIN last weekend. They originally gave me the option of three interview dates:

"NUIN's three admissions/recruiting events are scheduled for: January 16-17, January 30-31, and February 20-21."

They told us we will get our decisions sometime before this Friday. Those of us that aren't admitted will likely be waitlisted, but they might reject some applicants, and some applicants might turn down the acceptance right away. If that happens, I'm guessing they will probably send out new invites to meet the total number of qualified candidates they need. However, I think those newly invited people will be at a disadvantage and may end up waitlisted unless they do really well in their interviews (i.e. they have to do better than the people that got waitlisted from the first round of interviews).

Also, I don't know if all the invites to the last 2 interview sessions are confirmed, though I think they are (the email I got back in December specifically said to respond as soon as possible). If some people declined their interviews, that would also open up spots for more invitations to be sent out, but that may already have happened by now.

Either way, I'm fairly confident that all of the initial invites have been sent, so if you haven't heard anything yet, I'd consider yourself waitlisted. They get a lot of highly qualified applicants, so the difference between the waitlist and the interviewees is almost just random chance (and for all I know, I was at the very bottom of the pile of people that got the initial interviews). Having not heard a rejection yet is a good sign that they want to hold on to you in case another spot opens up.

If you do get an interview at this point, make sure you really present yourself well. At least on paper, they've judged you to be at "the back of the pack" and so you'll need to make a good impression to avoid getting waitlisted after the interview.

EDIT: Actually I don't see that any rejections have been sent out yet, so that's probably bad if you haven't heard anything. If they do send out a bunch of rejections and you don't get one, then you're on the waitlist and you have a decent chance at getting an interview.

TL/DR - If you haven't heard anything yet, its unlikely you'll get an invite. However, if they send out rejections and you don't get one, then you'd be waitlisted, and should have a reasonable chance to get an interview.

Thank you for the info! Congrats on getting the interview there, I hope it went well for you.

Wasn't sure if I'd hear from them since I never clarified with my POIs if they were accepting but I'm glad to know where they are on their timeline now.

Does anyone know typically how many people interviewed get accepted? I've heard that some programs accept most of the people they interview, and its mainly set up to gauge how the person is socially. Any insight?

Does anyone know typically how many people interviewed get accepted? I've heard that some programs accept most of the people they interview, and its mainly set up to gauge how the person is socially. Any insight?

Every program is unique, but for competitive programs 50% is the commonly given figure. I've been on the other side of the admissions process and the program tried to interview roughly twice the number of candidates they were planning to admit or fund.

Emory invited 47 people to interview for 14 slots. I assume "slots" in this case means "offers", since they typically have an entering class of 7 or 8. So that works out to being about a 30% post-interview acceptance rate. I think this is unusually competitive, however.

Emory invited 47 people to interview for 14 slots. I assume "slots" in this case means "offers", since they typically have an entering class of 7 or 8. So that works out to being about a 30% post-interview acceptance rate. I think this is unusually competitive, however.

I'm a first year in Emory's program and my class has 18 students in it (not including 2 MD/PhDs). The year before was 11 students. I've been told we are really aiming for 14 this year, so I think it's safe to assume more offers than that.

I'm a first year in Emory's program and my class has 18 students in it (not including 2 MD/PhDs). The year before was 11 students. I've been told we are really aiming for 14 this year, so I think it's safe to assume more offers than that.

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better...

Duke posts its statistics (for every program), but here are the statistics for neurobiology: http://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/admitneu.htm

For instance, last year (2013-2014), there were 167 applications, they interviewed ~32 people and made 23 offers of admission.  If you have an interview, your chances are pretty good.  This may not be true for all programs, but it is for this one.  

That being said, I know the competition was (slash will be) a little bit tougher this year.  They had 210 applications and thy're not looking to fill as many spots.  

I know I had 15 people at my weekend at UVA and that they had another weekend in February planned for which I'm assuming another 15 applicants. From the 30 total, they said they are looking to enroll 5-8. 

A bit late to the game- just discovered this forum! Is it strange that I am quite excited about this?

I was wondering, are your chances of acceptance worse if you are asked to interview for the second interview weekends rather than the first? Or are the invites sent out more so based on when the applications were turned in? I'm asking specifically for UPenn, UCI and UCLA. Thanks!

Has anyone who is attending emory's Feb 6-8 interview weekend, received your schedule yet? I know they were working on making the schedules last Friday, but I'm not sure when they will send them out. 

A bit late to the game- just discovered this forum! Is it strange that I am quite excited about this?

I was wondering, are your chances of acceptance worse if you are asked to interview for the second interview weekends rather than the first? Or are the invites sent out more so based on when the applications were turned in? I'm asking specifically for UPenn, UCI and UCLA. Thanks!

UPenn says they like to accept everyone they interview (assuming you interview well) so you should be good on that one.

Congrats! Who is your POI at U Chicago? I applied to the Cognitive program, but several faculty members overlap in both. Do you know when the interview weekend is?

Thanks! John Cacioppo--he actually emailed me personally; I'm still a bit flabbergasted.  The interview dates are Feb. 15-17.

I have been invited at  U of Rochester's Brain & Cognitive Science program...any idea on the nature of interviews and conversion rate after the visit? How does the program rate for cognitive neuroscience?

I applied to UPitt and UIUC Neuroscience doctoral programs. I was wondering if anyone has information on them? I had contacted the program managers at both Universities and I was informed that the Admissions Committee is still reviewing applications. Surprisingly, I saw some interview requests posted on the results page of this forum.

Thanks.

I applied to UPitt and UIUC Neuroscience doctoral programs. I was wondering if anyone has information on them? I had contacted the program managers at both Universities and I was informed that the Admissions Committee is still reviewing applications. Surprisingly, I saw some interview requests posted on the results page of this forum.

Thanks.

Pitt started sending out interview invites way back in December. They have several interview weekends, starting next week and going through February. Applicants were given their choice of dates. I have no idea if they are planning on inviting more people or not.