Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Right?? Do you think it will be a group conference with the whole committee? That's what the email made it sound like. I was expecting to be able to at least know who I'll be talking to.

Edit: Jk, they just emailed me and told me the committee members.

Any word back from them post-interview?

Still eagarly awaiting Duke as well...would love confirmation one way or another so I can make plans for that weekend they're rejecting me. IIRC they were supposed to send out rejections by yesterday?

I told them I couldn't make their weekend a little over a week ago - theirs is Feb 6-7, and I had already scheduled another. I'm not sure if they've invited anyone for that spot yet, but there was one open then  :)  Best of luck!

NeuroGirl042- so Feb 6-7 is the only date available? Sucks. I already scheduled UVA for that weekend.

I asked for an alternate - they could do Jan 27-28, but I had an interview that weekend as well. It's pretty soon for them to be inviting more people, too. 

UVA is a fantastic school! It could all be for the best =) 

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten any news from OHSU recently... Last I heard, they were sending invites in mid-December, but that someone speculated they would be sending out more after the beginning of January...Thoughts? Should I assume more invitations will not be sent?

Hey, everyone!  Hope all your interviews are going well.  Duke Neurobiology has two interview dates (Jan 27-28 and Feb 6-7).  I think that the list of interviewees has been finalized, but it's possible that they haven't contacted everybody yet.  Looking forward to meeting you all there!  Let me know if you have any questions...

Edited by stmwap

for the people waiting: don't give up just yet! i didn't hear back from columbia when they sent out their major batch of invites and i asked several people whether i was rejected or not. i heard from the program manager-type person that they had sent out all their invites and that i was wait-listed (sad but not the end of the world given my other invites)... and then this sunday, they sent me an invite!

so you never know, especially with other applicants' interview schedules being finalized, people may drop out due to scheduling conflicts and slots might open up or something. good luck to those still (anxiously) waiting!

Edited by chailattes

Interviews for NYU's 1st round have been sent out, 2nd round will be first week of February. All decisions in March.

Hey evrad, which program are you talking about at NYU? There is the NYU Sackler Neuroscience and Physiology Program and the NYU Neural Science Program. Or are you talking about both programs?

I know they have a joint committee this year, but I received a rejection that looked specific to the Neuroscience and Physiology Program. Also, I know some people have actually received an invite (I'm assuming Neural Science) back in late December, and then got the same rejection I got in mid January. I haven't heard anything from the Neural Science program, so its unclear if I'm still in the running for a 2nd round invite in February.

Edited by ashcanpete

Hey evrad, which program are you talking about at NYU? There is the NYU Sackler Neuroscience and Physiology Program and the NYU Neural Science Program. Or are you talking about both programs?

I know they have a joint committee this year, but I received a rejection that looked specific to the Neuroscience and Physiology Program. Also, I know some people have actually received an invite (I'm assuming Neural Science) back in late December, and then got the same rejection I got in mid January. I haven't heard anything from the Neural Science program, so its unclear if I'm still in the running for a 2nd round invite in February.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. I applied to the Neural Science Program but haven't heard anything regarding interview or rejection yet.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. I applied to the Neural Science Program but haven't heard anything regarding interview or rejection yet.

Just adding myself to the list of people wanting to know about NYU (and I'm neural science as well). 

Congratulations! Did you interview? How did you find out? 

Thanks! I interviewed early. When Sean Kennelley called and told me that I was invited for an interview, I asked if they could accommodate me before I left Miami to go back to school, so they didn't have to fly me back down. He put my itinerary together within a week. I interviewed with 6 faculty on the 17th, this past Friday. Sean called me back today with "good news"!! Fast turnaround time. He says a letter with my formal offer should be in the mail soon. 

Edit: He mentioned that the reason I heard back so early was because I interviewed early. Don't sweat it! :) 

Edited by moonchild1093

Thanks! I interviewed early. When Sean Kennelley called and told me that I was invited for an interview, I asked if they could accommodate me before I left Miami to go back to school, so they didn't have to fly me back down. He put my itinerary together within a week. I interviewed with 6 faculty on the 17th, this past Friday. Sean called me back today with "good news"!! Fast turnaround time. He says a letter with my formal offer should be in the mail soon. 

Edit: He mentioned that the reason I heard back so early was because I interviewed early. Don't sweat it! :)

Wow, I should have done that when I was home! Sean is great, he helped me out a lot too =)

Thanks for adding the edit! That made me feel better, haha. Miami is a big one for me! 

I'm in the same boat, it seems from this forum most people have gotten systems track invites, but it does seem pretty late...

I got an invite from MIT for the Cognition track two days ago, but they may still be sending them out. Any other cognition people out there?

I got an invite from MIT for the Cognition track two days ago, but they may still be sending them out. Any other cognition people out there?

Did you get an email or phone call? I applied to the systems track and they called me to notify me of an interview more than a week ago but I still haven't received any email since. They didn't reply my email either. Getting worried now and I need to plan my trips soon. 

Did you get an email or phone call? I applied to the systems track and they called me to notify me of an interview more than a week ago but I still haven't received any email since. They didn't reply my email either. Getting worried now and I need to plan my trips soon. 

I got an email from my POI two days ago and the official invite by email today. I wouldn't freak out, since it does seem different tracks send out invites at different times. However, it might be worth calling if you don't hear anything by the end of the week. (My invite says to RSVP by Sunday.)

Whatup guys does anyone know what's the status on UC Berkeley? I emailed a professor and she explained that interviews were planned for the first week of February. Has anyone received a response on their application?

Thanks!

Edit:Forgot to mention, any news on Northwestern University?

Edited by rules45

Has anyone heard anything from Northwestern NUIN? Have they announced their interview dates?

I have not.  I did call them though, and they said most interview invites had been sent out, 55 out of 250 applicants, and that in the next week or so they would come out with official decisions. 

Has anybody heard from University of Oregon?

I just heard tonight from U of Chicago Integrative Neuroscience!