SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

I'm more nervous about this than about PhD applications... I feel like my program proposals were actually stronger than my SSHRC proposal, if only because they came later. I got into all my schools, but now I wonder about this.

I seem to recall hearing from a grad director that the process would be different in future years—something more akin to the new master's CGS method of determining winners. Anyone else hear anything like this? (Not that it will matter for us, because we will all win CGS doctorals, of course.)

It seems that the doctoral fellowships are soon going to be 25x3 instead of 20x4. Can't find anything about winners being determine at the institutional level, though.

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/latest_news-nouvelles_recentes/talent_program_renewal-compte_rendu_du_programme_talent-eng.aspx#a2

I'm more nervous about this than about PhD applications... I feel like my program proposals were actually stronger than my SSHRC proposal, if only because they came later. I got into all my schools, but now I wonder about this.

I seem to recall hearing from a grad director that the process would be different in future years—something more akin to the new master's CGS method of determining winners. Anyone else hear anything like this? (Not that it will matter for us, because we will all win CGS doctorals, of course.)

I heaven't heard anything about universities determining Doctoral SSHRC/CGS winners at the institutional level in the future. But, according to SSHRC, doctoral applicants will likely be required to use the Research Portal and CCV to apply and to receive results, which is identical to how MA SSHRC applications are submitted:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/latest_news-nouvelles_recentes/update_CCV_and_portal-compte_rendu_CV_commun_canadien_et_portail-eng.aspx

According to SSHRC this can happen as early as the next application cycle (Nov 2014).

Anyone else unable to log on to their sshrc portfolio online? It was up and running yesterday...

Went to check and got a message about the system being temporarily down due to technical difficulties.

Edit: just realized that I was trying to access Research Portal.  I can still log on to the "portfolio" page, though "there is nothing to display"

Edited by Macavity

Looks like we will have to wait until the end of April to learn the results, after all. Here is the reply I received after I emailed SSHRC asking about the competition results:

-----

"Thank you for your email.

The Doctoral Awards competition is still in progress. The results of the competition will be mailed out around the end of April 2014.

If your mailing address has changed, please inform us as soon as possible so that we may keep your file up to date."

-----

This is roughly the same timeline as my university posted on its website, meaning some of us won't find out until early May.

Looks like we will have to wait until the end of April to learn the results, after all. Here is the reply I received after I emailed SSHRC asking about the competition results:

-----

"Thank you for your email.

The Doctoral Awards competition is still in progress. The results of the competition will be mailed out around the end of April 2014.

If your mailing address has changed, please inform us as soon as possible so that we may keep your file up to date."

-----

This is roughly the same timeline as my university posted on its website, meaning some of us won't find out until early May.

Alright thanks. With that said I am going to avoid this board for at least a week. Adieu!

I'm back. only to bring attention to the most recent tweet from sshrc: 

A reminder to award holders and universities to refrain from making announcements on their awards until after SSHRC's public announcement.

Does anyone know if this is for doc fellows or other sshrc? Maybe connections grants?

I'm back. only to bring attention to the most recent tweet from sshrc: 

A reminder to award holders and universities to refrain from making announcements on their awards until after SSHRC's public announcement.

Does anyone know if this is for doc fellows or other sshrc? Maybe connections grants?

That sounds like a general reminder for all awards to me. Maybe they don't like that people are tweeting and posting about receiving SSHRCs?

That sounds like a general reminder for all awards to me. Maybe they don't like that people are tweeting and posting about receiving SSHRCs?

Yeah. To me this is a reasonable request but at the same time, they should be prepared for winners to announce online - especially on twitter.

I'm curious about what prompted SSHRC to make such an announcement.

If you type in 'sshrc' into twitter feed, there has been a lot of talk and individuals thanking sshrc recently. Mostly it has been the master students but a few ambiguous ones. There seems to be some confusion now and a few profs even calling them out on their latest announcement. 

Just to clarify, do we think SSHRC will send no form of email notification, only mail? Or will the letter simply come sooner? I remember recieving an email from SSHRC for my MA scholarship a couple years ago (before the MA system changed) in addition to the letter. I'm just worried - the city I live in has a notoriously slow/generally bad mail system.

EDIT - Nevermind, I looked around the website, and it says: "SSHRC will announce the competition results in spring 2014. Competition results are not provided by telephone or email."

Edited by hopeontelevision

Just to clarify, do we think SSHRC will send no form of email notification, only mail? Or will the letter simply come sooner? I remember recieving an email from SSHRC for my MA scholarship a couple years ago (before the MA system changed) in addition to the letter. I'm just worried - the city I live in has a notoriously slow/generally bad mail system.

Really? That's odd. I only received a letter last year for my CGS-M.

Edited by Pol

E-mailed SSHRC to change my mailing address yesterday. I'm leaving this apartment at the end of the month and don't want to risk missing the letter.  Sigh.  Somehow the idea of the letter being sent to my in-laws' house depresses me (almost as much as spending the summer at my in-laws' house!)

E-mailed SSHRC to change my mailing address yesterday. I'm leaving this apartment at the end of the month and don't want to risk missing the letter.  Sigh.  Somehow the idea of the letter being sent to my in-laws' house depresses me (almost as much as spending the summer at my in-laws' house!)

I'm going to do this too. I'm leaving the country on April 30th, and I'd rather my parents in Toronto get my letter directly than the person I have subletting my place (who I would ask to mail to Toronto if they see the envelope, if I haven't received it by the time I leave).

Ugh. I had a dream last night that SSHRC accidentally mailed our letters a week early and mine was sitting in my mailbox when I got home from class. And just as I tore the envelope apart, my alarm went off. DAMN THESE OMINOUS DREAMS! I thought I was handling the wait fine.

So. Ok...

This is totally unverifiable but I heard from a colleague that the departmental Chair in our department said that they are supposed to release this week..... Again completely unsubstantiated but I figured i would share any information that I come across.

Edited by crimsoc

Thanks for sharing crimsoc :). It would be nice if we could hear something this week. CIHR is this Tuesday. Fingers and toes crossed!

No problemo. Do you know if they are doing the email notice or will it be letter-mail?

So. Ok...

This is totally unverifiable but I heard from a colleague that the departmental Chair in our department said that they are supposed to release this week..... Again completely unsubstantiated but I figured i would share any information that I come across.

AHHHHH! I hope so :)

If anyone wants to read into this -- I emailed SSHRC last week to change my address (to my parents' address in Toronto) since I'll be away for the summer as of April 29th, and I was concerned I may miss my letter if they're mailed out at the end of April and it takes a while to get to the US. They responded to let me know that the address in my file will be updated ON April 28th, which I thought was a bit strange because I mentioned my reason for the change of address and assumed they would change it immediately. But now that I think about it, perhaps that's because they know the letters will be out early enough that my April 29th move will not be an issue for receiving the letter. Maybe? I'm reaching here  :P

Edited by Safferz